Who will break out of the pack this year? | Golden Skate

Who will break out of the pack this year?

dutchherder

Final Flight
Which young skaters do you think will really break this year? I think the more experienced dance teams need to watch out for Davis and White and Virtue and Moir! What do you all think? Men? Ladies? Pairs? Other dance teams?

flying camel

Medalist
Of course I am expecting Caroline to have a fantastic GP season. But the fact that she can't go to worlds makes whatever she does bittersweet.

So, I am hoping for Bebe to come out swinging with her GP events. I want this to finally be her year. I just hate the fact that she has all those national appearances and has not made one world team.

I also would love to see Kahle skate to her potential. With all the newcomers coming up I feel time is passing both these skaters by. I want both of them to skate well. I am really bummed that Kahle did not get into the SGP. They both have all the potential in the world, but if you can't land the jumps then people loose faith in you. They move on to the up & comers. I feel that is happening now. So, go Bebe & Kahle.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I still think the high finish of both V/M and D/W at Worlds was to some extent the result of there being no Russian presence on the FD panel. I am not sure that those results will be repeated, especially in the GP where it is not at all unusual to see 2 or even 3 Russian judges on the GP panels.

london_calling

On the Ice
I think if Rachael Flatt spends this summer improving her speed and her landings on jumps she could have a great season.

I too want Bebe Liang and Danielle Kahle to break through. If only Bebe would do a clean free skate! Maybe this year...

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I still think the high finish of both V/M and D/W at Worlds was to some extent the result of there being no Russian presence on the FD panel. I am not sure that those results will be repeated, especially in the GP where it is not at all unusual to see 2 or even 3 Russian judges on the GP panels.
That makes sense for Khokhlova/Novitski's placement, although their performance in Tokyo was weak for them, but why would the judges from Russia care if V/M and D/W place over Faiella/Scali, the Kerrs, Gregory/Petukhkov, Pechelat/Bourzat, or the Zaretskis (who most likely will not even be at Worlds next year, due to Chait/Sakhnovski's return)?

clairecloutier

Final Flight
In pairs, I'm hoping Castile & Okolski can build on their success at Nationals and have a breakout season. I think they're a talented team, and the pairs division overall is so weak that there's a real opportunity to move up quickly.

In ladies, I think Elene Gedevashvili (sp?) could do well if she can find a place to settle down and really train hard. She's really talented and just needs to be more consistent.

In men, I once again hope that this will be Johnny's breakout year to finally win a medal at Worlds (or the championship). More realistically, I think Jeremy Abbott could break out and do well in the Grand Prix. And of course, Tomas Verner seems to be waiting in the wings as the next big contender on the scene.

In dance, I don't know if I see any new teams breaking through, but I look forward to the continued development and progress of Davis & White and Virtue & Moir.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I think that this will be Elene Gedevashvili's year along with the german pair. Ithink that with Shen and Zhao retired they will win the GPF and Worlds. I HOPE they keep the Mission freeskate. it was perfect for them.

I think Davis and White; and Virtue and Moir have already broken out. Any Worlds top ten skater(s) are contenders. Regardless of how one feels about Emily, she is a contender on the international scene, and therefore not breaking out but already there. One could think of Valentina Marchei as breaking out.

My Hopes Only:
Bebe, Megan O., Rachael, Caroline, Ashley,

Tommy S., Jordan M. (let's hear it for NYC), Craig R., Traighe R., I'm not sure if those unnamed talented Jr. Men are eligible for Seniors.

McLaughlin/Brubaker, Vise/Trent; Vlassov/Meekins;

Wester/Barantsev; Not sure if these are eligible for Seniors: Hubbell and Hubbell; Samuelson/Bates.

Joe

montclair411

Spectator
In pairs, watch out for Brubaker/McLaughlin... their content and confidence should put other seniors on high alert. Too bad she's too young for worlds, but given that they've only been together for one year, the progress could make for a 'break out' year

In dance, I agree that Davis/White, Virtue/Moir 'broke out' at Worlds. It will be important to see how they do through the Grand Prix events, but I'm hopeful that we'll see great progress from what seems a friendly rivalry.

In mens' - if Jeremy Abbott should keep turning heads. Like Buttle, even if he doesn't do all the content, the whole package is developing impressively.

In ladies' - will obviously be Caroline Zhang's year. I must say though that the hype-monster handling she is getting puts her at the risk of breaking out then flaming out. It's the 'unexpected' performance that makes for breakouts IMHO, like Mirai's performance at US Nationals. For Caroline, ESPN and everyone on the business side of the sport seem to be setting up so that if she's less than 'perfect' and not the 'whole package' it will be this time next year, or the year after that, that she'll be a break-down casualty, not a break-out star... I hope not ... but it has to be the concern.

Is this the same Jordan that was the Junior silver medalist at Nats in 06? I don't remember his last name or hometown, but I loved his skating and would love for him to have a big season.
It is Jordan Miller in Junior Men. Maybe he is a senior now?

(There is also a Jordan Wilson who is a senior already.)

Joe

npa

Match Penalty
I think, that D/W and V/M must show real progress in next season if they whant take good places at Getteborg. It must be hard after all this talking about there results at lust WCh, but they young and must wor hard. I dont think, that Gregory-Petuhov, Faella-Scally can beat them at 2008WCh, but it will strong competition with Peshalat-Bourza, Khohlova-Novitski, Kerrs. I dont know what place can Chaite-Sahnovski take at next WCh

Sylvia

Record Breaker
IMy Hopes Only:
Tommy S., Jordan M. (let's hear it for NYC), Craig R., Traighe R., I'm not sure if those unnamed talented Jr. Men are eligible for Seniors.
It is Jordan Miller in Junior Men. Maybe he is a senior now?
Yes, Jordan Miller placed 12th and Craig Ratterree 16th in their respective senior debuts at 2007 U.S. Nationals in Spokane. Both were relative "late bloomers" when they made it to Nationals at the Junior level and won their silver medals (Ratterree in 2005, Miller in 2006). Traighe Rouse was injured last year in his first year at the senior level and did not compete at Sectionals -- I believe he plans to compete this season.

ETA: Joe - both Hubbell/Hubbell and Samuelson/Bates are staying junior this season, both nationally and internationally.

Last edited:
ETA: Joe - both Hubbell/Hubbell and Samuelson/Bates are staying junior this season, both nationally and internationally.
So, the US has nothing special in Senior Dance to 'break out' except to watch a confirmation that Davis and White are contenders for 2008 Nats and Worlds'

Joe

mirai_asada

On the Ice
Mirai Nagasu & Caroline Zhang. I've watched their programs and I found myself thinking that they have potential. Enough said.