Plushenko, Piseev, & 2007-08 Season | Golden Skate

Plushenko, Piseev, & 2007-08 Season

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
With that attitude, Piseev should consider himself lucky Plushy wants to even compete at ALL......

discoduck

On the Ice
Honestly I am not thilled about Plushenko coming back. I've never been a fan although I do respect his abilities.

waxel

Final Flight
I have no interest in ever seeing Plushy compete again as an eligible. Hopefully Piseev's lukewarm reaction will piss him off and he'll bail. Never been a fan ... even less so now.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Personally I have never been a fan of Plushenko and I could personally care less whether he comes back or not. I don't miss him and won't look forward to seeing him.

layman

On the Ice
As odd as it may seem... I WANT Plushenko to come back because his participation in the sport helps Johnny Weir. Johnny really respects Plushenko (and vice versa) and they both seem to inspire and encourage each other. Johnny seems to skate better when Plushenko is in the competition. So...come back Plushy!

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I may be in the minority here, but I don't see anything so horrible in Piseev's reaction. I mean, when Kwan was going in and out of eligible competition we did not expect USFSA to bend over backward to accommodate her - so why should this be any different? Yes, I do realize that USFSA was in a much better position with ladies skating than Russia currently is with men's, but the principle is the same. Piseev has already been burned by T&M who were going to go back but didn't, and he doesn't want to look like a fool again.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Hopefully Piseev's lukewarm reaction will piss him off and he'll bail.

With that attitude, Piseev should consider himself lucky Plushy wants to even compete at ALL......

I do not see anything lukewarm or something being wrong in the attitude regarding Piseev´s comments. Quite the opposite:

V.Piseev: "..... Hopefully, his physical conditions and course of trainig will allow his to participate in European and World Championships as well as the Olympic Games in Vancouver. The Figure Skating Federation of Russia, in its turn, will provide all the necessary conditions to make it happen."

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
It's not Piseev's comments on this situation, taken by themselves, that prompted my comment. It's Piseev's comments, taken with the cracks he made about Sokolova and Petrova/Tikhinov at [I think it was] about the time of the Russian Nationals, that inspired my comment. I'm surprised Plushy would even want to come back at all given that climate.

Personally, I wouldn't mind it too much if he came back but if he does I can only hope he FILLS IN THE BLANKS BETWEEN JUMPS IN HIS PROGRAMS, which he USED to do, but certainly not in his last season. Enough of the top men are already skating long programs with nothing but dead air in between the jumps, we don't need one more of them out there doing that.

I think the Russian Fed is desperate to bring a full compliment of skaters to the Olys in Vancouver. Plushenko could very well bring up the total to 3 with just a placement at 2009 Worlds. 2008 Worlds will bring in 3 Russian Men for experience in Worlds

There are no Ladies which can bring up the total to 3 in any year

The two Chinese teams and Ingo's Team might even stop T&M if they decided to skate again, and they would have to face a healthier S&Z in the Olys.

Domina and Shablan have their work cut out for them if they are going to land on the podium in this tight field of couples.

All this is to bring 6 people and 6 couples to VanCouver.

Plushenko is the safest bet. As for the US and Kwan, we did have Sasha and Emily.

Joe

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Really sad news for fans of "L", "W" and "B"

Not necessarily. Like another poster said, most skaters tend to skate better with Plushy around--they're not really content with just a battle for second place.

It's like saying it's sad news for fans of Yeon-Ah Kim's because Mao is around. Not necessarily--in fact, Yeon-Ah has beaten Mao on numerous occasions.

Plushy isn't unbeatable--if Eman can beat him, so can Lambiel, Weir, Buttle, Joubert, and Takahashi.

Ximena

Final Flight
Since I read your comments before readins Pissiev reaction I thought he said something like "well who cares?!". I don't think there's anything wrong with Pissiev response, he probably is happy and relief that Plush is back and that if he makes it to Euros and Worlds, he'll gain back the spots that were lost the past season and in his statement he is showing the support of the fed about it.

I'm happy he is back, I did finally believed it when I saw a video a month ago or so of him saying that he is coming back, so all the press that showed up becuase his name was not on the GP list was not a problem since the same thing happned the past seasons, his name was not on the original list and then he showed up at CoR.

As for Plush's influence on Johnny. I remember Johnny saying during the Oly post shows in France and Spain that Plush and Mishin talked a lot with him and Plush told him that he thought Weir was the next "one" but that he needed to do that quad. Since Weir do looks up to him, I know that meant a lot to him. And Johnny is happy for Plush come back, there is an interview at weir.ru where hs is asked what he thinks of Plush coming back and he said that he didn't know he was coming back but he is very excited for it.

I reiterate. I don't think Piseev cares about the success of Plushenko. Although, Piseev would enjoy seeing another gold medal for Plush, he is more interested in seeing more Russian skaters in Vancouver. Plush is his best bet. JMO.

Joe

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Plushy isn't unbeatable--if Eman can beat him, so can Lambiel, Weir, Buttle, Joubert, and Takahashi.

Oh, but let's be reasonable...Eman only "beat" him due to a technical error when points from a landed jump were not allowed under COP. He didn't truly beat him - the only person to do that really (since the old Russian rivalry days) has been Brian Joubert

waxel

Final Flight
I don't think Plushy remaining viable for 2010 Olys is a sure thng at all. He's been doing this a long time and has already suffered numerous injuries/surgeries.

As I said, I'm not a fan. BUT if, as some posters assert, a return might spur other skaters to top form ... then I'm all for him coming back. But without the "gifts" from the judges.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Oh, but let's be reasonable...Eman only "beat" him due to a technical error when points from a landed jump were not allowed under COP. He didn't truly beat him - the only person to do that really (since the old Russian rivalry days) has been Brian Joubert

I guess in a sense you could say Joubert beat him, but in another sense he did even less then Sandhu had, since Plushenko had a complete disaester free skate at that event.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Not necessarily. Like another poster said, most skaters tend to skate better with Plushy around--they're not really content with just a battle for second place.

It's like saying it's sad news for fans of Yeon-Ah Kim's because Mao is around. Not necessarily--in fact, Yeon-Ah has beaten Mao on numerous occasions.

Weir cant even ever challenge Lysacek anymore it seems, so how on earth can he even dream of beating Plushenko. Buttle has never beaten Lambiel, going on a long losing streak that has carried over many years now, so how he can have a serious shot at a healthy Plushenko. Lambiel, Joubert, and Takahashi maybe, but they would have to skate lights out. Joubert's skating is too jump oriented, and Plushenko is much more complete. Takahashi needed a quad in the short, and a second in the free skate for starters. Lambiel has horrible consistency which wont allow him to win a major event again or beat Plushenko unless he addresses it somehow.

Big Deal

Final Flight
I don't want to see Plush's undeservedly and ridiculously high TES marks again.
If he comes back the "politics" come back with him.
I really enjoyed the last season without this factor...