Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay?

jaejang2001

Match Penalty

Here's a translation of Yuna' recent interview (June 2007) with the Yu-na Gallery, an online community of awesome Yuna fans.
Please note this is not a professional translator and a very casual translation)
----------

Letter from Canada...."From Yu-na"

In March of 2006, Korea earned its very first gold medal in ISU Junior World Championship. The glorious champion was no other than the "Figure Skating Fairy, Yu-naKim." She captured the world's figure skating fans as she floatedacross the ice like a delicate butterfly. This victory was even morepriceless since she had struggled through boot problems, and an injuryon her right ankle.

In November of the same year, she challenged herself again in thesenior circuit; she took a bronze in Skate Canada, and a gold in TEB. She captured another gold in the Grand Prix Final, starting a new chapter in the Korean figure skating history. Her fans online cheered on as Yu-na returned from that competition where she skated with tapes on her back due to another severe injury.

From a "figure skating fairy," she has now become the favorite "little sister" of her country. Thenumber of her fans grew nationally not just because of herinternational medals; fans related to her because of the in ways inwhich she fought against her odds and pushed towards her dreams.

After her success in 2006, she won yet another medal in the World Championships in March of 2007. As Yu-na fought through her challenges of the season, there was a flow support from the Yu-nafans that helped her go on. And starting in February of 2007, the fansstayed in touch through an on-line fan group called, the "Yu-na Kim Gallery."

As the season continued, the members of the Yu-na Gallery became one of most enthusiastic groups of Yu-na supporters. They showed their support through encouraging and fun photo montages, and at times sent out gifts and scholarship funds.

A couple of weeks ago, the Yu-na Gallery contacted Yu-nafor an email interview. She returned the request with a "yes." Shedidn't forget to add that she was especially excited for a request fromthe Yu-na Gallery community. And then a few days later, Yu-na's answers finally came back to us across the ocean. Well, it's time to open up the letter!

[yu-na's E-mail letter ]

Hello, everyone at Yu-na Gallery community! It's Yu-na here.

Firstof all, thank you so much for all your support. I am especiallythankful for all your kind words you sent me even when I made mistakesor was dealing with my injuries. I have seen your so many of yourfunny photo montages Some of them made me laugh so much! And there are some really awesomean pretty ones. I know I haven't left many messages on the Yu-na Gallery Boards, but I am always impressed and excited at seeing how talented and thoughtful you all are.

Oh,and thank you so much for your gifts. Especially the dress is sopretty, I love the color and the design. But it's a tad big for meright now. I will have to grow a bit to wear it right.

AndI really enjoyed the scrap book you sent, too. I loved being able tosee the photos I haven't had the chance to see. And thank you for allyour supportive notes in it. I can't believe you really made a boundbook like this...I really felt your kind support. Thank you.

I have shared your scrap book with my coaches, Brian Orser and David Wilson and they really enjoyed it, too. They especially got a kick out of the Teletubbiesmontage. (laugh) David said, "You really have great fans," and gotreally into all the photoshopped images. They were really wowed by thewhole book and looked it twice.

I also loved viewing all the videos you have edited (featuring Yu-na). I can't even pick out the most memorable ones because they are all soawesome. Some of them really moved me. I really loved all of them(Laugh). Thank you for making me look so pretty. Thank you, thankyou! (laugh)

These days I have been working on fitness about 3 to 4 hours a day, and work with Brian Orser coach on technique and the new program for an hour a day. I work twice a week with Tracy Wilson (coaches skating skills) and Astrid Shrubb (coaches spin). And with David Wilson (choreographer), we are working on the new program for about an hour or two [per week].

At times, when I am not training, I play badminton for fun. I go on the internetand study English. On weekends, I rest or go out. And on Sundays I goto a library to study English. At times it can be challenging and yet I am enjoying my days here, I'd have to say. I especially appreciatebeing able to take my time and do the things I have been wanting to dobesides the training.

I know that many of you are worried about my injuries. My back isn'tbothering me so much during my practices. But to prevent a relapse, Ihave continued the therapy. And we are avoiding moves that may put toomuch strain on my back.

Youwere curious if I go back to screen my performance after eachcompetition. In fact, it's quite hard for me to remember exactly whatI did during the competition. Even when I make mistakes, it's hard tofigure out what happened exactly. So I alwaysscreen my own performance after each competition. Also if thechoreography was executed a little oddly, I try to fix that during thepractice as well. I think that, for me, screening my own performanceis essential and it helps me learn so much. In addition, I watch otherskaters videos often. I learn much from seeing others skate.

You have asked if I had any "hang-ups." I don't think I have anyhang-ups, particularly, but I often forget to bring my stuff to thecompetition. At 2005 Junior Worlds free skating, I forgot to bring mytights so my coach had to bring them. I forgot my dress to the 2006Junior Worlds so my trainer had to go get it. Then 2006-07 Grand PrixFinal, I forgot to bring my purse. And most recently at the Worlds, Ican't even remember if it was at the short or long program, I forgot tobring scissors to cut the tape for securing skate strings. So I had touse my teeth. I do this sort of things so often I can't reallyremember them all. And things like that don't even phase me anymoreeither (laugh).

And favorite current skaters? As you all know, I do have too many skatersI like. (laugh) I like watching men's single skating. I can list Jefferey Buttle, Johnny Weir, Thomas Verner, and Takahashi Daisuke and Alban Preaubert. I feel that these skaters are very artistic. They have even more beautiful lines than women skaters and yet you can feel theirpower. You really can get into their skating.

The skating elements I find most beautiful are the ones that require flexibility, such as Bielman spin, Ina Bauer, and Spirals. I think they are pretty and moving, although it's a pain to actually execute them. (laugh)

Mybiggest treasure is my family, the second is my skates, and then thethird is my fans, who support me in so many ways and always cheers forme. (laugh)

Lastly, to every at Yu-naGallery, please do continue to pray and cheer for me even when I mightface a slump or go through difficult times. Of course, I will try myhardest to avoid such situations, but it seems like sports can be sounpredictable.... I will work hard to prepare for the next season andcome back to you with my improved skating. I will be back, hang tight!

As I read through Yu-na'sthoughtful reply, I tried to picture her in my mind. Although she isone of the top international figure skaters, the first image of Yu-nathat came up was the one with her school uniform on. In someways, Ican't help but to worry about her pressure to represent her countryinternationally. But on the other hand, she already has made hercountry so proud with all of her success. From here on, I wish for herto press on for herself....

Currently, Yu-na is training intensely as the ISU Grand Prixschedule has been set. I hope the love and support of her fans willreach all the way to Toronto, sustaining her through whatever difficulttimes she might have endure.

dollee

Rinkside
suguri might not even last that long and kimmie maybe longer. mao really seems to love skating. you can see that right away. But yes, i can belive that about Yu-na. I don't see the joy at all in her skating, it seems like work for her. maybe that's just because she is in a lot of pain when she skates... but you never really see her smile. I get the sensation that she is under a lot of pressure form family, country etc to do well and make korea a player in the world of skating....

You don't see the joy at all in Yu-Na's skating? You never really see her smile? It seems like 'work' for her?

I don't know Why you think like that and how much you know about her. I want to see your ground about that.
What I know apparently is that she loves figure skating and her life as a figure skater now. 'You love skating? I love figure skating!' It is a private message which she have sented to her close friend. She says that she considers herself a figure skater rather than a student, and is very pleased with the process through which she prepares her performance and shows it to audience. You can see that she is so absorbed in her skating as she says in her interviews her first list of treasure is 'skating'. And I know many people are moved by her performance now.

Why do you atempt to estimate her own joy and happyness standing in her shoes, while she herself says she loves skating. Who can estimate joy and happyness of other people standing in their shoes? It can be likely very rude to this young girl. Why do not you respect her joy and happyness?

Last edited:

guru

Rinkside
Here's a translation of Yuna' recent interview (June 2007) with the Yu-na Gallery, an online community of awesome Yuna fans.
Please note this is not a professional translator and a very casual translation)
----------

Oh man!! Now I perfectly understand what she's talking about!!

Had to look at the article with a fixed gaze for hours!!

(still poor English, but Korean's even worse):bow:

guru

Rinkside
suguri might not even last that long and kimmie maybe longer. mao really seems to love skating. you can see that right away. But yes, i can belive that about Yu-na. I don't see the joy at all in her skating, it seems like work for her. maybe that's just because she is in a lot of pain when she skates... but you never really see her smile. I get the sensation that she is under a lot of pressure form family, country etc to do well and make korea a player in the world of skating....

WELL, South Koreans must be very proud of, satisfied with Yuna's on the podium, according to local media.

She's the first South Korean to win a medal at the worlds!
Likely they've never seen before from anyone in their country.
of course NO matter what colour it is, Definitely.

I'll BET that they will be in sweet dreams whether she wins or not next season.

AND in her letter!!, she says her biggest treasure is her skates!!!

Wonderful interview - thanks so much. It gives an almost intimate picture of Yu Na's outlook and training. She certainly appreciates her fans.

I am personally pleased that she admires Johnny and hope he is inspired to know that. Also, since a certain poster here is regularly pooh-poohing the significance of spirals and other flexibility moves, I am happy to see that she considers them the most beautiful moves. Like so many fans! I hope her back recovers enough for her to do them well this season.

She does sound quite happy and confident. :rock:

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
http://youtube.com/watch?v=cBQDmRBQUpQ
wow, that's not bad.. not bad at all.. it seems like her future in korea is set.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cNX2KCcgIYU
a clip of her practicing
spunky moves at the end.. who can understand korean??? anyone.

Well, on that second clip she's learning choreography for her new gala, and the song 'just a girl' from No Doubt is used. Kinda explains all those spunky moves!!:biggrin:
It was supposed to reveal itself at Japan Open but unfortunately she couldn't go there.

I heard she's going to prepare another exhibition programme.
I guess It's gonna be an exciting season for Yuna and her fans since we have a lot to see and be gaga for!!:clap:

BTW I just signed in, and zephyrskates, I hope I can be helpful since my mother tongue is Korean!! (Hence don't be too harsh on my poor English!! ;))

^ And judging by you're login name you speak French, too. That's awesome! :rock:

I see you figured out the quote thing. :agree: I left a message for you on the "Internationals Fans" thread.

Welcome to the forum. :)

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
Thx for your warm welcoming, Joe!!

and OMG Mathman, I'm embarrassed that you seem to know I messed up my post there with 'quote thing' and deleted it!!!:p
Guess I need some time to figure out things here.
But hey, It's so good to be around international figure-skating fans and I'm so excited!!!:biggrin:

zephyrskates

On the Ice
better late than never..
thanks bellefire. :)

don't worry i can't be harsh on anyone whose mother tongue is korean. :agree:

zephyrskates

On the Ice
i was watching you tube when someone there pointed out that yuna has not performed a clean LP last year... what's amazing is that she can won a medal in all the events she entered this year... i did notice that most of her mistakes occur late in her program, and i believe that this is not due to nerves but to lack of stamina and/or conditioning.

fsf9012

Rinkside
i did notice that most of her mistakes occur late in her program, and i believe that this is not due to nerves but to lack of stamina and/or conditioning.

That's right. She'd been injured for all season long. She couldn't do much physical training because of the injury.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
pyeongchang got excellent reviews from the IOC.. so the 2014 olympics may be in south korea.. i just hope that kmi changes her mind on retiring after 2010 and make another run for the 2014 olympics. i know it's still too far ahead, but i just can't help myself from counting down the number of competitve programs she will put out before she "supposedly" will retire

satorare

Match Penalty
That's right. She'd been injured for all season long. She couldn't do much physical training because of the injury.

If "injury" is the cause, she can never fix that problem.
Her jumping technique requires much speed for the jump entrances, and her laborius skating is very stamina consuming. As a result, she usually loses speed in the latter half of FS and it leads to repeated mistakes.