Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Yu-Na Kim: Are all her problems at bay?

zephyrskates

On the Ice
Well, it's just a rehash of Madama Butterfly by Puccini.

Joe

yep, it is.. but i prefer miss saigon fro some weird reason.. maybe it's because i can't get over what happened in nam. and no, i'm not middle aged, in fact i'm still a teenager so i wasn't drafted, but i do have an understanding of what happened.

guru

Rinkside
:p
since all the hoopla that errupted out regarding kim's comments in an article...
i was just wondering if anyone knows how yuna is doing??
does she still have problems with her boots??
how about her back??

BACK to the original topic,

According to local media,

Yuna included her 3-loop in the choreography. maybe this jump is under her control now.

And her physical strength is getting better.
Her physical trainer says it was about 50 % when she first arrived in Toronto, but now is about 70~80%.
The reporter says Yuna's condition and physical strength will be about 90~100% in the end of August.

And Yu-na says her back problem does not bother her anymore.
No backache at all, she says.

I'm afraid I did some mistranslation with some phrases.:p
Need someone whose mother tongue is korean.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
:yes:

Yuna included her 3-loop in the choreography. maybe this jump is under her control now.

Her physical trainer says it was about 50 % when she first arrived in Toronto, but now is about 70~80%.
The reporter says Yuna's condition and physical strength will be about 90~100% in the end of August.

well that's GREAT news.

talk to bellefireyuna... i think korean is her nother tongue..

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
I think Yeon-Ah sounds more similar to her actual Korean name. And It just came to my mind that 'yawn' sounds perfectly right for the first syllable!!:laugh:
It seems that Yuna is more catchy to Englsh speaking people and maybe that's why she's using Yuna as her English name.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I'm not among those who think that skaters should be chastised or penalized for not doing all of the "expected" triples for their gender, nor should skaters who do them all be rewarded. I hated that Liashenko, for example, who dropped the loop, was written off unless everyone messed up. I could have cared less about Kwan dropping it. That is one of the reasons I like CoP TES scores: the skater gets credit for what s/he does, not dinged for what s/he doesn't.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice

I thought you were Korean!! aren't you??
If not, what a great job with translation!!!:rock:
(I wouldn't dare to translate Korean into English. My English is still weak and I don't want to cause any misleading. Yep, I'm being cautious after seeing all that Yuna's interview 'hoopla' ^^)

Just to add something,
Yesterday her music and a bit of her new choreography were revealed through Korean media. As I watched her in television, I felt she's got really stronger(watching her jump,I felt she would just fly away!! and yes, I'm a sucker for Yuna:biggrin: ) and more confident. Her chreography was so lyrical and somewhat subtle and David Wilson, her choreographer, affirmed that it is going to be one beautiful, elegant program even far more than 'Lark Ascending'.
Uhhhhhh....I can't wait to see her and apparently time is going too slow. Never in my life had I wished time would go fast!!!:laugh:

Last edited:

ciroc83

Rinkside
I must admit, I have not been this excited about a skater since Michelle.... I may have to be a huge geek and buy a Yu-na poster.....:rofl:

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Lyrical or not, Yu-na hardly delivered a clean, consistent long program. She needs to address the consistency problem. A skater's program like "lark ascending" loses its connection with the audience, when a big mistake cuts off the flow of the program.

Cantu of Mexico who got screened out at the worlds after the short program can be just as lyrical and flexible as Yu-na. Yes, it is very important to have musicality in the program, but when all the top ladies have artistry and presentation, the most athletic person with big arsenals should win a competition.

zephyrskates

On the Ice
Lyrical or not, Yu-na hardly delivered a clean, consistent long program. She needs to address the consistency problem. A skater's program like "lark ascending" loses its connection with the audience, when a big mistake cuts off the flow of the program.

and she is working on it.. i believe that her mistakes in the past were not due to nerves but poor conditioning and limited practice brought about by her back problems..

so there is definitely room for improvement...

According to the article above she was 50% when she arrived at toronto but they expect her to be around 80-90% by august, which is still 2mos before the CoR... she's training hard and her back is holding up, so i believe that she will come back this season stronger and even better.
(wow, am i crazy about kim or what. :laugh:)

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist

Cantu of Mexico who got screened out at the worlds after the short program can be just as lyrical and flexible as Yu-na. Yes, it is very important to have musicality in the program, but when all the top ladies have artistry and presentation, the most athletic person with big arsenals should win a competition.
Do you honestly think that's why Miki won worlds? She is the most athletic skater (yes, I believe that she is even more athletic than Mao), but she won because both Mao and Yu-na, who have MUCH better artistry and presentation, didn't deliver two clean programs, not because she was more athletic. Also, not all top ladies have the same level of artistry and presentation nor the same level of technique. Technique is already the most important factor, score-wise at least, in figure skating. If technique wasn't such a significant factor, we would've had at least one of Yukari, Alissa, and Elene G up in the podium.

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice

I see your point and agree with you to some extent.

But for me, pure joy lies in seeing Yuna with what she's prepared during off-season and appreciate her as she is. Believe it or not, I don't mind her 'not' winning the competition. So don't worry and get a grip. Nobody's saying that she will win anything, at least in this thread.

Last edited:
The most athletic competitor has the best chance to win -- if she actually delivers her program.

So far, of the current crop of championship calibre senior ladies, no one has shown that she can stand and deliver.

At major events last year (LPs) we saw

Skate America

Ando: 3Lz+3lo, yes.
Meissner: 3Lz+3T, yes.
Asada: 3A, no; 3F+3Lo, yes; 3Lz+2Lo+2Lo, no.

Skate Canada

Kim: 3F+3T, yes; 2A+3T, yes; 3Lz+2T, no.

France

Kim: 3F+2T, yes; 2A+3T, yes; 3Lz+2T, yes.
Ando: 3Lz+3Lo, no.
Meissner: 3Lz+3T, yes; 3F+3T, no.

NHK

Asada, 3A, sort of (-1.8 GOE); 3F+3Lo, yes; 3Lz+2Lo+2Lo, no.

GP finals

Kim: 3F+3T, yes; 3Lz+2T+2Lo, yes; 2A+3T, no.
Asada: 3A, no; 2A+3T, yes; 3Lz combo, no; 3F combo, no.
Ando: 3Lz combo, no; 3F combo, no.

Euros

Carolina Kostner: 3F+3T+2Lo, yes; 3Lz+2T, yes.

Worlds

Asada: 3A, yes; 2a+3T, no; 3F+3Lo, yes; 3Lz+2Lo+2Lo, yes.
Ando: 3Lz+3Lo, yes (no other big combo).
Meissner: 3Lz+3T, no; 3F+3T, no.
Kim: 3F+3T, yes; 2A+3T, yes; 3Lz combo, no.
Kostner 3F combo, no; 3Lz combo, no.

To me, that's a lot of yes, no, yes, no, yes, no, yes.

oleada

Record Breaker
Actually, I've found Michele Cantu's interpretation to be really nice, but she really isn't a contender.

clazzi

Spectator
Hi all, my first post here.

I heard Yu-na shows her new Ex in DOI in japan from 14 to 17 JUST NOW.

Can also see Mao, Miki, Daisuke and some other Japanese skaters skate with new Ex program. wow.

this show will be on TV at 17.

and Lambiel !! is he coming with new program??

it'd be lovely to see them on the ice. Can't wait!!

fsf9012

Rinkside
I think Yeon-Ah sounds more similar to her actual Korean name. And It just came to my mind that 'yawn' sounds perfectly right for the first syllable!!:laugh:
It seems that Yuna is more catchy to Englsh speaking people and maybe that's why she's using Yuna as her English name.

Right. Yeon-Ah is correct when pronouncing her name in Korean. People might have heard the Japanese commentator calls her like Yo-Nah instead Yoo-Nah, and Yo-Nah is similar to original prononciation than Yoo-Na. Japanese also has no 'yeo' sound, but their 'yo' sounds similar to 'yeo' in Korean. Like Belle said, Yeon-Ah sounds similar to 'yawn' in English, but you should pronounce 'yaw-' as a short vowel with very light touch, not a long vowel in actual yawn. Or you can say 'young' without the last [ng]- you'll know what I mean-just [n] sound. By the way, it might be hard for English speakers to pronounce 'yeon', so I have no problem with her called Yu-Na.

She had many problems last season. I'd say Yu-Na has handled the pressure better than Mao who has had some meltdowns under pressure. Yu-Na made mistakes in the middle or at the end of the program, which seemed her physical condition caused the them rather than nerves. We have to wait and see how Yu-Na will perform when she is 100% healthy. I don't mean Mao looks bad because she is a really great skater but though I buy her courage to challenge some difficult jumps, time will tell whether she'll get over the pressure when it counts - even after seeing her rivals skate the best.

Last edited:

roundboypete

Rinkside
Kim Yu-Na! Oo-la-la!
When Kim takes the ice it's a brou-ha-ha!

Yu-na Kim, she's fit and slim!
She skates with vigor and she skates with vim!

Kim Yoen-Ah, she skates for the money!
Mix up the letters and you get "a honey!"

Kim's a rose, says Round Boy Pete.
By any other name she's just as sweet! :)