Fetal's Suspension | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Fetal's Suspension

P

Piel

Re: Fetal's Suspension

Re:Fetal just when I think "Oh no there's another of THOSE posts from Fetal"...surprise he comes up with something that makes me say "I'm glad I read that, or how clever." That said I am very uncomfortable ridiculing ANYONE's religion (or lack of). We have some pretty intense threads here at times that when you stop and think about them are about pretty trivial things. It's not surprising then that when things that really matter (IMO) like religion and morality are brought up someone is going to be offended on one side or the other of the issue. Growing up we were always warned NOT to discuss religion and politics for just those reasons. I love to argue both but at the appropriate time and place. I consider myself a very liberal pro choice Catholic but at times was offended at some of Fetal's posts. The Hamilton/Browning baby thing didn't bother me but the comments about religion did. I think that the "What Would You Do for Michelle?" was almost harmless (sees headlines that say "Twelve Year Old Shoots Friend to Prove His Devotion to Michelle Kwan" followed by "boy says figure skating message board told him to") and did make a good point about how silly some of us fans can become. We are all responsible for what we put out there. While the anonymity of the Internet may make us feel that we can take more risks with what we say, in fact we probably need to be more careful since we never know who's listening, how they will interpret it,or what they may do with it.

Piel

E

eltamina

mmandel

"Since I'm fairly new to this forum, I'm sure my voice will fall on deaf ears. BUT, I did feel compelled to make voice known."

Thanks for posting how you feel. I appreciate your contribution to GS, keep posting.

S

sk8tngcanuck

Re: fetal

I have known many of these people since our time on about.com, and fetal to me was becoming another wo_ _ ice...

Sometimes had some brilliant and insightful things to say, then poof, trying to see how far he could push the envelope. Sorry fetal, don't mean to lump you into the same bracket as her, but I do believe you, like her, have issues.

NO, you don't make it practice to specifically target and insult and demean people EVERY chance you get, but I do believe that as of late you have really been pushing it. It was almost like you were daring Paula to deal with you, or at least thats how I felt. You were like a little child whose mother has clearly stated, "Don't touch that china vase" and that child then maintains eye contact with mom while slowly reaching out for the vase. It was like the temptation was too strong for you to resist.

As much as I often appreciate your humour, fetal, I think Paula was correct in sending you to stick your nose in the corner and to bed without your dinner. That said, I hope you do come back, but with your fingers and your *mouth* kept a little tighter in check.

Canuck

S

sk8cynic

Whoa......What Happened?!?!

I disappear for a few days and everything goes nuclear!!!!! :)
All I can do is say, "Wow" and then contribute my own two cents (of course, I could be inflating the value of my own words)...........

It has been my observation that Golden Skate and just about every forum I visit is extremely tense right now. Since I am relatively new to posting on the whole forum scene, I can only surmise that a lot of that stems from the fact that the skating world is gearing up for the pinnacle of the season, and all the fans are fired up. Posters' "offensensitivity", as I call it, is way up, and people are overly reactive when they're buttons are pushed.

Most of the posters and lurkers here are familiar with Fetal. As I have said before, IMO Fetal is an 'equal opportunity offender," and I applaud him for that. He's irreverent, he's funny, he's intelligent, and he's most definitely controversial. I personally find him far less offensive that the "Kwantophiles" I mentioned in the MK GPF and Detente threads. I also know that I happened to tick a lot of people off with that post, but I felt 'safe' putting my thoughts on this forum as compared to other sites where I would have been pillaried for saying the same exact thing. I also know that he has a more serious, sensitive side that is not often shown here. He's one of only two people who responded personally when my own life was in flux and full of trauma, was quite supportive and sweet, and for that, I am appreciative. I am going to miss his posts for the next month, that's for sure.

As for Golden Skate, I have to admit I have mixed feelings about Paula's decision to suspend him for 30 days. I am a staunch defender of the first amendment, and for this reason, I quit posting at certain forums (I realize I am repeating myself here) because I was informed in no uncertain terms that my opinion, because it was not in agreement with the majority, was not welcome. I was not offensive, did not use crude language or post anything outrageous, yet I was [unoffically] banned. To be quite honest, I'd much rather read his outrageous posts and take them for what they are (for the most part tongue-in-cheek) than any of the gushings and bashings that I see on the majority of the forums. Does anyone here actually think that Fetal was serious about Kurt and Yuka and offspring?! I got a good laugh out of that. Yes he pushes the envelope, but how boring would this forum be without his twisted take on life, the universe, and everything?

I can't really comment on the whole religion issue as I never read the thread(s). Religion is a definite hot button for me, and rather than read something that I feel is very likely to set me off, I skipped over it. I have no control what anyone on the web posts; I only have control over my own decisions as to what to read and how to react to it. I think a lot of it comes down to personal responsibility and judgement. There is a local radio host in Atlanta by the name of Neal Boortz, who deals with callers who attack him for his opinions and beliefs, to which his reply is "Then why do you continue to listen to me?" How very on the mark that reply is!! If these people were REALLY outraged and offended, they would simply change stations. Same theory applies here. If you're offended, don't continue reading the thread. If you suspect (or know) that someone or something on any forum is going to detonate your psyche, why go on and read it?!?! It's like rubbernecking at a bad accident, so I don't have a lot of patience when people go on and participate in something that they know will upset them.

To play devil's advocate, however, the force that drives Golden Skate is the group of people that come here, and Paula has a responsiblity to this site to make sure that people continue to visit and contribute. If people are leaving in droves, I can fully understand her concern and her ultimate decision to lay down the law. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here as the number of members continues to grow, so I guess I'm a little confused.

GrGranny and Ladskater, please don't stop posting here. Your contributions, opinions (though I don't always agree with them), humor, and insight have always been enjoyable, and this forum will lose out if you leave. Same goes for everyone here.

Funniest thing about this whole debacle is that I am defending a Kwaniac!

***edited to correct atrocious typos and clarify a couple of points.***

S

sk8cynic

Whoa......What Happened?!?!

duplicate post, folks; sorry about that. I'm not on my computer, and this one is temperamental!!

E

emiC

Off topic, just my $0.02

1. Paula has to run GS, a huge responsibility, she has taken the leadership, whether we agree with her or not, the decision is made. I do not know fetal or GS well, but since I choose to lurk/post here, I respect Paula's decision.

2. 30 days is a short time, I see no need to be worked up about it one way or another. Fetal left GS for a 2 mos vacation in the summer of 2002, hopefully he will return in time for worlds. We are talking about him here, and he is not available to respond. If folks want to debate a more general issue of free speech vs censorship, I think it is more appropriate to start another thread.

3. What does this fetal thread has to do with MKF, and Kwanophiles? There is a detente thread for that purpose. Some of us have a tendency to add our little pet opinion into threads that are not even remotely related. I know, mine is the "brain", for others it is MKF.

S

sk8cynic

emiC

emiC,

My post does not have anything to do DIRECTLY with MKF and Kwantophiles. I was merely citing an example that on other forums I have offended the Kwantophiles with posts that they haven't agreed with and have been punished for it, and as for my comment about Fetal being less offensive than Kwantophiles, that is my opinion, I am entitled to it, and the First Amendment allows me to express that opinion, just as you are completely entitled to disagree with that opinion.

Thought for the day: "I may disagree until the end of the world with your opinion, but I will defend until the end of the world your right to express it."

Pax?

E

emiC

sk8cynic

Did I ever challenge anyone's free speech? I am just stating my opinion that this thread has nothing to do with MKF and Kwanophiles, and there is another thread already created for that purpose. I am stating an oberservation of people putting their pet opinions into totally unrelated threads even in a tangential way. I stated my pet is "brain", and someone's pet maybe MKF. WOW, I manage to post 2 messages here without mentioning the "brain" directly, just in a tangential way.

I did not say whether I agree or disagree with what you said about MKF, and Kwanophiles. If it is so important to you, and if that makes you happy, to mention the Kwanophiles and MKF here, go for it.

S

sk8cynic

Re: sk8cynic

emiC,

You are right; you didn't challenge the First Amendment, and I agree with you that this has nothing to do with MKF and Kwantophiles (and honestly, I probably should have never mentioned any sort of example of comparison, but since MK and the KPs are the very topics I have caught the most heat for on other forums- and have been told directly that I am wrong, evil, an idiot, etc., etc., for expressing my opinions, it was the first example pertaining to opinions and the difference therein that popped into my fevered brain).

I think it is probably human nature that people will mention their pet opinions. We all do it (okay, most of us do it), and that's alright, too. Our experiences affect our opinions, and likewise, or opinions have an impact on our experiences. Forums are where we exchange both with others. This is why I like GoldenSkate, and if I am reacting strongly, it is because I would hate to see this forum turn into one that is stringently monitored and edited. I don't get the idea that is what Paula wants, and the decision to give Fetal the boot for a month was likely not an easy one to make. This was Paula's judgement call, and though I may not necessarily agree with the decision made, I respect it.

I apologize if I have offended you - I have never said you were wrong; if I came across that way, for what it's worth, that was not my intent.

J

Joesitz

Re: emiC

Sk8cynioc - It would be a gentleman/woman thing to also mention in you example that you have been "punished" for "offending" by posting that "Kwantophiles" did not agree with.

My suggestion to add would be "That never happened at Golden Skate".

I agree with you that you have the right to your first ammendment opinion and that courtesies are not necessary, although nothing wrong with clarifying the truth.

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD IN LINE WITH FETAL AND NOT KWAN even for subliminal comparisons.

Joesitz

S

sk8cynic

Joe

Joe,

You are absolutely, 100% correct for calling me on that!! I totally geeked by not mentioning the fact that the reason that I love GS and actively post here is that this is the one forum I can come to and express myself without fear of retribution - not only from KPs, but from anyone who may disagree with me. There is a mutual respect here that I have a great appreciation for, and that will hopefully never disappear from GS.

When I have been abrasive (which I know I can be at times), or vehement in my opinion, the responses I have received (even the PMs) are intelligent, insightful, and careful not to add fuel to the fire - IMO the way disagreement should be handled.

And yes, you are right, this thread is about FETAL. Not Kwan. Hopefully that fact will remain clear.

Thanks for the insight.

M

megsk8z

Re: Fetal

I think this forum is the best around; most of you are very knowledgeable and try not to let things get personal, even when disagreeing with each other.
I don't agree with everything all the posters say, either, but I enjoy thinking about what has been said, whether I concur or not.
I'm going to miss Fetal (I hope he comes back), because he gave me a lot to think about. And I could always choose not to listen to some of the more radical diatribes and wild tangents he spoke about. Sure, he had a habit of poking a hornet's nest with a big stick, but I don't thing that's such a bad thing.
I think Paula made the right decision, but I'll still miss him. I hope Fetal recovers from his suspension and comes back to haunt us.
Thanks for listening to me everyone.

D

diabolical angel

Re: Fetal

When I first came to GS a couple of months ago, Fetal's posts were one of those that catched my attention immediately. Strong opinions that are strongly-worded, witty and hilarious. As i lurked more, I started going to the chat. And Fetal was one of the first posters (and most frequent :) ) that i met. While he's just like his posts, he's also very nice and caring :) Very sympathetic to my problems and offered nice opinions and advice :)

I earnestly hope Fetal would come back.

E

emiC

sk8cynic

You did not offend me, I hope I didn't offend you. I just find it a bit odd that stuff from other boards is dragged into GS, and into this thread.

I understand pet opinions well, like I said, I don't need too much encourage to start talking about "brains".

L

Lanternlight

To be honest, Fetal never offended me, except in an arrogant way. It's not that Fetal truly was trying to be :evil: , it's that Fetal was totally convinced of his absolute wisdom and insight into every issue. So I teased the Fetal, and I have to say, for one who can dish it out, he didn't take it all that well. That's what bothered me about him, just that he was a person who liked to post obnoxious things, but wasn't prepared to take the heat that came with that.

Just my 2cents, I hope he comes back.

BTW, he so deserved the banning....because comments like that are not appropriate. There are boards where that is fine, but this forum is for all ages.

Y

Yurisgirl

Hello everyone, as a long-time lurker I'm glad to finally be registered!

I've been reading a lot of Fetal's comments over the months, and I think he certainly is refreshing with most of his comments. He skates on very thin ice sometimes, but I for one have not really been offended by him. I can see where others have issues with him, but I do hope he comes back as I have enjoyed most of his posts.

R

rgirl181

Re: Fetal's Suspension

Welcome out of lurkdom, Yurisgirl:D I'm sure Fetal appreciates your comments.
Rgirl

H

HamiltonBrowningFan

Re: Joe

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>HamiltonBrowningFan -- That's a super picture of Elena and Anton! Very expressive. Please keep posting, especially in the cafe.
[/quote]

thank you mathman

it's not like I didn't try to understand Fetal... but when I tried taking stuff off the board it didn't work as I never got a response... and that's what got me upset... sure he'll humilliate me and my religion in front of people, but heaven forbid we take it one on one...

G

GSK8

Oh geez..........

Come on folks, there are more important things going on in the world today.

I don't think there is anything anyone could possibly do or say that would offend me. After traveling the world and spending an entire career in the US Army with "da boys", I'd have to say I have a pretty open mind and tough skin.

However, this is not MY forum. It belongs to all the members. I feel it is my responsibility to ensure a safe and neutral environment for posters of all race, sex, religion, etc. - hence the Guidelines.

Obviously as a sole person, I cannot possibly catch every post that goes against the standards in place. I'm working on that area.

Keep in mind that this is not an "adult" board and is frequented by minors. Although cute and subtle things are over-looked, I won't tolerate vulgarity.

G

Grgranny

Re: Oh geez..........

And a good job you're doing too. If I get bashed again though, you'll hear from me. OK?