Morgan Matthews to skate for Azerbaijan? | Golden Skate

Morgan Matthews to skate for Azerbaijan?

gsrossano

Final Flight
So, what is with reports that Matthews is seeking Azerbaijani citizenship and the federation is seeking to get her released from USFSA?

Anybody know more about this?

Vice-president of National Federation Fuad Guliyev said that Matthews tried to get Azerbaijani passport so actively that she incurred USA Figure Skating Federation officials displeasure. “I went to USA and settled it very hard, – Guliyev said.- Americans didn’t want to let Morgan go”.

Past tense makes it sound like it's a done deal.

Last edited:
The ice dancing division at Azerbaijan Nationals could get real cutthroat, with Morgan and her new (presumably Russian) partner going up against Kristin Fraser and Igor Lukanin.

I can see why Mr. Guliyef fought so hard -- there is a lot of Azerbaijan patriotic pride at stake here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The USFS has to let Morgan go once she has Azerbaijani citizenship (which apparently is automatic, since the Azerbaijan federation wants her). Guliyev has already said that he expects Morgan and her partner to be the top AZE team at Worlds 2008.

M/G can't go to Euros because Gislason last skated at 4CC 2007, which was after Euros.

The ice dancing division at Azerbaijan Nationals could get real cutthroat, with Morgan and her new (presumably Russian) partner going up against Kristin Fraser and Igor Lukanin.

I can see why Mr. Guliyef fought so hard -- there is a lot of Azerbaijan patriotic pride at stake here.
I think Kirsten's father had a connection with the US Embassy in Azerbaijan, so that makes for some rationale. btw, she and Lukanin are a good dance team
As for Morgan, I kind of think she is good friends with Kirsten who told her to 'c'mon over, you'll like it here.' :)

Joe

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
By Worlds 2008, Kristin Frasier will be 28, Igor Lukanin 32. The AZE federation no doubt sees Matthews / Gislason, 20 and 23, as the future of Azerbaijani ice dancing.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I just translated the article; went to post it - and you beat me to it. Anyway, here is a whole article (Paula likes us to have our own translations, not copy from other places).

One more American wants to represent Azerbaijan

American skater, the 2005 ice dance Junior World champion Morgan Matthews, plans to represent Azerbaijan, according to IA "Sportcom" sources.

After Matthews and her Russian partner Maxim Zavozin missed the USA Naitnal team this year, the pair broke up, and Matthews now has a different partner, Canadian Leif Gislason. The new team trains with Olympic champions Natalya Linichuk and Gennady Karponosov in USA. However, in order to represent Azerbaijan, at least one of the partners will have to take Azeri citizenship. 20-year-ol Morgan has already approached Azerbaijan president with a request to get an expedited passport of the country.

By the way, American Christine Fraser represents Azerbaijan with her Russian partner Igor Lukanin. Both skaters took on Azeri citizenship a few years ago, and competed at the Turin Olympic Games.
Irina ANNKONKOVA, IA "Sportcom"
http://sportcom.ru/sport/figurkat/news4682355f.htm

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Fraser/Lukanin also competed at the Salt Lake City games in 2002, so they both had had Azerbaijani citizenship that far back.

And what about Gislason? Has Skate Canada agreed to release him to skate for AZE? Is he planning to become an Azerbaijani citizen too, so they can compete in the 2010 Olympics?

sillylionlove

Medalist
Ok...here is a really dumb question....or questions?

Will Morgan have to give up her US Citizenship? Also, will Leif still remain a Canadian?

I thought that in order to skate in the Olympics you have to be a citizen of the country? Will Leif become a citizen too?

Boy am I confused!!!!

:unsure:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Morgan does not have to give up her US citizenship, as the US allows dual citizenships. I believe that Canada allows them also, as Tanith Belbin has both US and Canadian citizenships.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Will Morgan have to give up her US Citizenship?
No, US does not revoke one's citizenship when they take on allegiance to another country as well.
Also, will Leif still remain a Canadian?
Yes.
I thought that in order to skate in the Olympics you have to be a citizen of the country? Will Leif become a citizen too?
My guess is that they aren't looking that far ahead (nor should they). Only one person needs to be a citizen for GP, Worlds, etc. There is no way of knowing how well this partnership will work on elite level. They are both great skaters, but that doesn't guarantee anything. If everything goes well and they decide to represent Azerbaijan in the Olympics - then yes, they will both need to become that country's citizens.

Gregor

Rinkside
No, US does not revoke one's citizenship when they take on allegiance to another country as well.

Yes.

My guess is that they aren't looking that far ahead (nor should they). Only one person needs to be a citizen for GP, Worlds, etc. There is no way of knowing how well this partnership will work on elite level. They are both great skaters, but that doesn't guarantee anything. If everything goes well and they decide to represent Azerbaijan in the Olympics - then yes, they will both need to become that country's citizens.

But if Leif is to represent Azerbaijan in any international competition must he be released by the Canadian Federation? What are Canada's rules about this?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
why Azerbaijan ???? out of all the countries in the world? I am sure a lot of people never even heard of it. I doubt that training facilities are any good and the of course the langugae barrier.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
why Azerbaijan ???? out of all the countries in the world? I am sure a lot of people never even heard of it. I doubt that training facilities are any good and the of course the langugae barrier.
Who says they ever have to go there?! They train with Linichuk and Karponosov in Delaware. Nobody is talking about actually going there.
But if Leif is to represent Azerbaijan in any international competition must he be released by the Canadian Federation?
Yes. It seems that most countries look at it on case-by-case basis.

gsrossano

Final Flight
Slightly more reliable than just a rumor, I hear that Leif will also be looking for AZE citizenship, so they can compete in the Vancouver Olympics.

Morgan does not have to give up her US citizenship, as the US allows dual citizenships. I believe that Canada allows them also, as Tanith Belbin has both US and Canadian citizenships.
It is ok for females but not for males. At 21 a boy born in America but also holds dual citizenship must decide if he will relinquish his ties to another country or give up his American citizenship. I think that's the way it was because of the draft. It may have changed now.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
It is ok for females but not for males. At 21 a boy born in America but also holds dual citizenship must decide if he will relinquish his ties to another country or give up his American citizenship. I think that's the way it was because of the draft. It may have changed now.
Nobody keeps track anymore. Most of my friends hold onto their Russian citizenship when they become Americans - nobody cares.

pista04

On the Ice
Just

I just looked up the laws, and it says nothing about male to female differense in the laws for a dual citizenship, just saying the person is obligated to complete responsibilities like all citizens.

Kypma

Final Flight
Ok, I'm confused. Wasn't Morgan going to skate for Canada with Leif, who skated for Canada in the past season? Why Azerbaijan? Does he have a link to that country, like parents or grandparents born/living there, to get to represent Azerbaijan?

Kypma

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ok, I'm confused. Wasn't Morgan going to skate for Canada with Leif, who skated for Canada in the past season? Why Azerbaijan? Does he have a link to that country, like parents or grandparents born/living there, to get to represent Azerbaijan?

Kypma

The USFS refused to release Morgan to skate for Canada, and it would have taken at least two years of living in Canada for Morgan to get Canadian citizenship. As she and Leif are training in Delaware, that would not be possible.

But once Morgan attains Azerbaijani citizenship (and it appears that that will be quite soon), the USFS no longer has jurisdiction. The question now is will Skate Canada release Leif?

Frasier/Lukanin are the current AZE champions. Kristin is American and Igor is Russian, but both were given AZE citizenship many years ago without ever having to live or train in that country. They have represented AZE at both the 2002 and 2006 Olympics.