North American Championships | Golden Skate

North American Championships

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Why were they discontinued? I was just looking at the database of results here at GS and I realized I've always wondered but never asked.

And with all the fuss about Four Continents being so hard for skaters to attend with long flights, it seems like it would be ideal to have individual continent championships. Is that just not cost effective for the ISU and the individual federations, or what?

Thoughts anyone?

Just thoughts. Don't really know. If they are not ISU events, I doubt they would get a big turnout. If N.American skaters are busy with COI, SOI, after a grueling Worlds, do they want to interrupt their training for upcoming GPs for yet another competition? There are the cheesefests. I think Canadian skaters could easily get into those, if they wanted to.

Joe

Kypma

Final Flight
And with all the fuss about Four Continents being so hard for skaters to attend with long flights, it seems like it would be ideal to have individual continent championships. Is that just not cost effective for the ISU and the individual federations, or what?

I'm not sure. Asia doesn't have that many skaters, neither do Africa or Oceania. So of the 4 Continents, between America (mainly north) and Asia (mainly Japan for singles), they get just enough competitors. I think there were only 8 pairs in 2007 (7 once Dubé and Davison withdrew) and many more for the European Championships. I'm guessing the same happened within other disciplines.
Actually, I don't recall many Asian skaters at 4CC 2007. Anyone know why? (As in, no Mao, no Yu-Na... I mostly follow ladies, I'm not sure about others, although Shen and Zhao were there, weren't they?)

Kypma

R.D.

Record Breaker
Actually, I don't recall many Asian skaters at 4CC 2007. Anyone know why? (As in, no Mao, no Yu-Na... I mostly follow ladies, I'm not sure about others, although Shen and Zhao were there, weren't they?)

it's a looooong way over here ;)

Just like when 4CC's were over in Asia, only second-rate US skaters were sent to that while the top skaters prepared for Worlds.

Kypma

Final Flight
it's a looooong way over here ;)

Just like when 4CC's were over in Asia, only second-rate US skaters were sent to that while the top skaters prepared for Worlds.

Maybe, but doesn't Mao train in LA? She would only have travelled within the United States... Also I think the US and sometimes Canadian skaters haven't been to 4CC in a while because it was either conflicting with Nationals or too close to Worlds. I know Joannie Rochette didn't go in 2006 because it was too close to the Olympics, nor in 2005 because it was too close to Worlds, so maybe timing is to blame in some cases... just an idea.

Kypma

gsrossano

Final Flight
The NA Championships pre-date the Canadian and U.S. Championships. After the creation of the two National Championships early in the 20th century they were continued to be held every other year, alternating between U.S. and Canada. They were USFSA/CFSA events open to skaters from both countries.

They were discontinued a few years before I got involved with competitive skating. I was told at the time (by some national judges - but can't verify this is the real reason though) they became to be viewed as not worth the time and effort, but more so because the judging had become blatantly nationalistic with national bias run out of control. So they put an end to them.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Maybe, but doesn't Mao train in LA? She would only have travelled within the United States... Also I think the US and sometimes Canadian skaters haven't been to 4CC in a while because it was either conflicting with Nationals or too close to Worlds. I know Joannie Rochette didn't go in 2006 because it was too close to the Olympics, nor in 2005 because it was too close to Worlds, so maybe timing is to blame in some cases... just an idea.

Kypma

Well, the 4CC's could very well be on its deathbed. However, the top US skaters' attendance at 4CC's gave it some attention this year. We'll see if the same thing happens next year- I think it's in Asia again.

Seriously, I think the 4CC's need to be split into the Asian Champs (all of Asia) and the American Champs (NA/Latin America/SA). Flights would still be long but at least there's not a completely different time to adjust to once you arrive.

gsrossano

Final Flight
I think it should be in Hawaii every year. Equi-distant for all continents except Africa :)

Love the idea :) But does Hawaii have the venues necessary for the event?

Kypma
It would certainly bring in a lot of tourists to watch figure skating combined with a week or two vacation in Ohahu, and those other islands in the sun. Enough to build a year round arena for the many groups who play Hawaii.

I'm all for it. Where are those Developers? Watching competitive skating in summer clothes would be a treat. :bow::bow:

Joe

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Once Hawaii got the venues built, I am sure that there would be support for the European countries to hold the world championships there. It would be very good for the injured skaters, and, if you were Irina, wouldn't a trip to Hawaii be a temptation to coming back?

Here is the web site of the Hawaii Figure Skating club -- site of the 2005 U.S. Collegiate Championships! They had their big "Skate Aloha" event in March.

http://www.hawaiifsc.org/index.html

They should make a bid for 4Cs!

I always thought that one of the reasons for discontinuing the North American Championships was because there were really only two countries is it. So, for instance, if you were the U.S. champion, the only thing it would prove if you won the NA Championship is that you beat one guy -- the Canadian champion (or vice versa).

Gsrossano, thanks for the insight into the judging problems. That's very interesting.

Trivia question: Who is the only skater to win the North American Championship, the European Championship, the World Championship and the Olympic Championship, all in the same year?

Kypma

Final Flight
Trivia question: Who is the only skater to win the North American Championship, the European Championship, the World Championship and the Olympic Championship, all in the same year?

Good question... Dick Button won Europeans, Worlds and the Olympics in 1948, and was the reigning North American Champion (it was held every two years, and he won it in 1947...), so could it be him?
Same situation for Barbara Ann Scott, who won the same titles as Button and in the same years...
If it's not them, I have no clue...

Kypma

The Japanese have an affinity with Hawaii. Lots of Japanese honeymooners go there. If Hawaii gets the 4CC, I'll go and expect the asian ladies to be there, too.
It would be great to see Irina there, too,but she will not be elligible. However, a Worlds would be the shot-in-the arm Figure Skating needs. Maybe Kwan will be there in a grass skirt or a sarong by Vera Wang. Can't you see those hands and fingers? Yummie!

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
for some reason, FS and Hawaii just don't quite mix...:laugh: a winter sport in a tropical paradise? :cool:

for some reason, FS and Hawaii just don't quite mix...:laugh: a winter sport in a tropical paradise? :cool:
Why is it a winter sport nowadays? If you haven't noticed they haven't done it outdoors since 1956 or earlier. Someone should tell hockey officials to stop playing it in the late spring.

I still contend Hawaii would be a shot-in-the-arm for Figure Skating.

Joe

R.D.

Record Breaker
Well, skating's season is during the fall and winter months, isn't it? The world champs are in March, the very end of winter. Anything after that is either a fluff competition or touring. Little skating at the top level occurs during the spring or summer.

Well, skating's season is during the fall and winter months, isn't it? The world champs are in March, the very end of winter. Anything after that is either a fluff competition or touring. Little skating at the top level occurs during the spring or summer.
RD. It was never in the Fall until the sport moved indoors away from the winter cold. I didn't think you were a traditionalist.

Big skating could be anytime in Hawaii. It's all indoors. Get it?

Joe