Lori Nichol | Golden Skate

Lori Nichol

Nigel

On the Ice
So far this season, it looks like Canadian Lori Nichol is involved in choreography for the folllowing US Sr ladies:
Miessner
Czisny
Liang
Flatt
Nagasu
Zhang

Does anyone know if Nichol is working with Carolina or Mao this year? Any pair teams?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
as per the Kurt Browning Choreography thread she's also working with Evan Lysacek :love:

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I would like to see more of what she did for Firth's SP. Maybe it is just my mood right now, but I want more "upbeat" and fun types of programmes. I am getting a little "used to" the same old "beautiful swan on the lake" programmes myself. Just to many IMO, here and there is good, but these slow elegant types of prorgammes on such a high percentage of numbers...???
Give me more Fumie Fantasia, Mirai and that 40s number, etc.... Beautiful this sport is, but I think "excitement" needs more emphasis at present. JMO

Maybe I am not verse in all of Lori's "works," but the ones I remember most are the ones that have "excitement." Fumie SP OLY is a great example to me of a perfectly Choreographed piece. Fun, Drama, Beauty, Passion, etc... Yah that is more what I want from her and those she directs. A balance. Again, JMO.

All the ladies listed have great abilities to give both sides, but I think there are only 2 that do "elegance" better than "fun" anyway. Enough of this trying to prove "she has the elegance too," stuff. Play up their strengths.

Last edited:
She's a very talented choreographer and with much experience with the fabulous John Curry company.

A good choreo who knows her client and can give the steps, the footwork, the arm movements all in time with the music, and he/she does this with many suggestions to the client. From then on it is up to skater to put him/her self into the performance, and that's the difficult part. IMO, if the skater does not add something of himself into the routine, it will come out looking like paint by the numbers.

As an example, if Kwan and Slutskaya did the exact Lori routines, they would look vastly different in performance.

Joe

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
As an example, if Kwan and Slutskaya did the exact Lori routines, they would look vastly different in performance.
As a great choreographer, she would never choreograph even similar routines of Kwan and Slutskaya - she would take into account strengths, weaknesses, and the character of both those ladies, and the resulting programs would look very different.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sean - Lori's known more for the elegant numbers, and she choreographs them extremely well... Jamie and David used her pretty much exclusively... (though their 01/02 SP she did enlist Kurt Browning to help them get into character lol) and she brought out the best in them in such a short time. She was the magic that made them the skaters the skating world fell in love with....

And she's the reason I love to watch Pairs skating... :laugh:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Is this the first time that Lori is working with Alissa? I don't remeber hearing about this match before. I sorta hoped alissa would do somthing with Kurt. he did her exebition program last season and it was great.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I thought she choreographed her LP last year? or was that Wilson? or am I crazy?

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Sean - Lori's known more for the elegant numbers, and she choreographs them extremely well... Jamie and David used her pretty much exclusively... (though their 01/02 SP she did enlist Kurt Browning to help them get into character lol) and she brought out the best in them in such a short time. She was the magic that made them the skaters the skating world fell in love with....

And she's the reason I love to watch Pairs skating... :laugh:

Did it sound like I brought up wanting to see THE OTHER SIDE OF HER CHOREOGRAPHY just out of the blue??? - if I really didn't, thanks for the clarification.;)

Also if it sounded like I don't have the highest regard for her "skills" (be that "both" styles) but am just desiring seeing the "fun style" more from her to keep some excitement in FS going, there must be a misunderstanding in my post. I love Lori's work - Fun, silly, serious, etc.. Yes she is known for elegant (how often I can put two and two together :p) but I love her other side as well and just want to see it more.

Last edited:

flying camel

Medalist
Lori is either hit or miss for me. Either she does it great or its just plain bad. There's not too much in between. I actually liked Kimmie's LP last year. So, I hope she can improve on it. I would like to see her show off Kimmie's assets a little more. She has those wonderful long legs and arms but they aren't utilized much in her programs.

Last edited:

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Is this the first time that Lori is working with Alissa?
Yes. It's also the first time for Liang I think (FS?), Nagasu (SP & FS) and Zhang (FS). Like SeaniBu, I also really enjoyed Nichol's choreography for Taylor Firth's upbeat SP last year, but haven't yet heard if Firth has gone back to Nichol for this season's program(s).

As a great choreographer, she would never choreograph even similar routines of Kwan and Slutskaya - she would take into account strengths, weaknesses, and the character of both those ladies, and the resulting programs would look very different.
that's my point. Lori is special.

flying camel Lori is either hit or miss or me. Either she does it great or its just plain bad. There's not too much in between. I actually liked Kimmie's LP last year. So, I hope she can improve on it. I would like to see her show off Kimmie's assets a litle more. She has those wondereful long legs and arms but they aren't utilized much in her programs
That's not my point. The skater must take the choreography and make it his/her own. Imo, Kimmie has to learn to take choreography and show off those long legs with incredible stroking particularly crossovers, and let the arms flow from inside her heart. Use body language on basics. The choreographer can put the pattern out, it is up to the skater to make something of it.

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I think Lori Nichols is great for Caroline Zhang. But how did you find out her LP will be done by Nchols?
I just know. ;) Also, Lori Nichol (no final -s) is the first choreographer listed in Caroline Zhang's USFS athlete bio, followed by Tom Dickson (SP choreographer), and Karen Kwan-Oppegard (she coaches at the Artesia rink where Zhang is partly based).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Did it sound like I brought up wanting to see THE OTHER SIDE OF HER CHOREOGRAPHY just out of the blue??? - if I really didn't, thanks for the clarification.;)

Also if it sounded like I don't have the highest regard for her "skills" (be that "both" styles) but am just desiring seeing the "fun style" more from her to keep some excitement in FS going, there must be a misunderstanding in my post. I love Lori's work - Fun, silly, serious, etc.. Yes she is known for elegant (how often I can put two and two together :p) but I love her other side as well and just want to see it more.

I'm sure I'm the one that wasn't clear... it was early and I was up due to neighbors setting off fireworks early this morning :mad: my bad

that being said I think some of the most elegant programs are also the most fun... Love Story is not overly 'exciting' in the music choice, but the story it tells is fun (and heartbreaking at the same time....)

different strokes for different folks ;)

I think a lot of competition programs are 'toned down' because a competition is normally a bit more serious so the athletes are trying to show a more serious side. and judges seem to appreciate that more... whatever wins, right? :laugh:

discoduck

On the Ice
I love Lori's work. Her work with Michelle resulted in some of my favorite MK programs.

I also thought that the programs she did for Shen and Zhao last season were brilliant. Actually I think some of her best work is with pairs.

emma

Record Breaker
I love Lori's work. Her work with Michelle resulted in some of my favorite MK programs.

I also thought that the programs she did for Shen and Zhao last season were brilliant. Actually I think some of her best work is with pairs.

I agree with you - I thought Nichol's Meditation for S/Z was simply amazing - especially when you watch the earlier versions (that, sadly I guess, went over time like at CoC) with all of the little dance moves and intricate transitions -- i could just gush forever with that program. Loved it. For many, her work with Michelle is kind of legendary - what an amazing collaboration that was for many years!

I'll just quickly add that people have their loves and hates, and I get that - so many will disagree with the above, which is totally fine. But I'll add three more brief gushes - I love what Wilson and Buttle have done together over the years - just really amazing stuff, IMO; I think TT is a kind of skating goddess, and Moskivina is a genius, IMHO.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
I think a lot of competition programs are 'toned down' because a competition is normally a bit more serious so the athletes are trying to show a more serious side. and judges seem to appreciate that more... whatever wins, right? :laugh:
:agree:True, I wish they all wanted to please me but hey????:laugh: Really good point acutely. Elegance can put emphasis an element in a lot of cases, where a fun routine might ...say... hide some potential imperfection with-in some arm flailing perhaps. ;)

All in fun, you keep me "in check" Toni.;)