Old School On Youtube | Golden Skate

Old School On Youtube

One didn't need the CoP to see who the Winner was. Don Jackson during his era was special. Axels in both directions, delayed doble lutz, a triple lutz and I think a triple salchow. Contantly in footwork before a jump and immediately after. Bravo.

Joe

feraina

Record Breaker
Wow, that's amazing. Skaters back then seemed much more creative than those today. Maybe because the sport wasn't quite so codified/established/formulaic. Even though the arm movements weren't as natural/beautiful, the overall choreography was more creative. Watching them, you felt like you had no clue what they were going to do next. If not for the commentators, watching a performance for the first time would just be one surprise after the next. Not like today, you can pretty much guess the lay-out of the SP, and the LP is never that surprising/unusual either.

Is that Dick commentating there? LOL. :laugh: He's being his pessimistic self: "Even the best skaters fall sometimes." You feel like he's almost hoping that Don Ronald would make some mistake or other. :laugh:

That was astonishing. What the men are putting out there now is just sad in comparison. No wonder no one wants to watch figure skating any more.

Maybe if they banned the quad and made the skaters make up the difference with an equivalent number of singles and doubles out of footwork and spins...

And my favorite skating music -- Carmen!

That rounded arm thing, like you are holding a big invisible beach ball, as I understand it that was de rigeur for skaters in those days (check out Dick Button's performances, for instance). Supposedly it has some reference to ballet.

Was it at U.S. Nationals that Dick Button joked that he was going to give Kimmie Meissner a beach ball to help her with her arm positions?

pista04

On the Ice
Well, In one of "Push Dick's Buttons" for Nationals Meissner asked why he had mentioned it some time before that she should practice with a beach ball, and thats when he explained it to her.

Kypma

Final Flight
Well, In one of "Push Dick's Buttons" for Nationals Meissner asked why he had mentioned it some time before that she should practice with a beach ball, and thats when he explained it to her.

That 'some time before' was Skate America 2006, I believe.

Kypma

4dogknight

Final Flight
The relaxed and rounded arms are not only found in ballet but also in ballroom dancing.

Remember in the movie "Dirty Dancing" when Baby asks Johnny, "Where's my pleasing arc?" The operative word is arc.

Of course there are times when the performance calls for the "windmill" or angular port de bras.

4dk - who loved what Flatley did with Irish step dancing! Upper body movement; who would have thought. And no one was excommunicated.

sk8addict

On the Ice

AND she still can't do it. never will...

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
So.... how many points is a jump out of a spin worth? Why did this disappear?

A jump out of a spin isn't worth anything concrete but a good judge would give +GOE if it was done well. A jump within a spin can count as a difficult variation or a difficult change of foot, which increases the level.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Dick Button still got on my nerves =P I see where Scott gets it from.

Donald Jackson reminds me a lot of Jeffrey Buttle. I miss the excitement over the 6.0. Oh well...

I agree with the others--I miss skating like this. That double loop out of a scratch spin was wonderful! I prefer that to the triple lutz (his lutz is better than what people land today, too! out of a true edge in)

emma

Record Breaker
Wow, thanks for all of these links. I've only looked at Jackson so far. But what an amazing skate - of course, that triple lutz was beautiful, but all of those other 'littl'e jumps out of nowhere just left me :bow::bow:

Quick question - he skated for 5 minutes - when did the time change?

kittyjake5

On the Ice
Absolutely fabulous, thank you. What a talented skater. I think the commentator sounds more like Jim McKay than Dick Buttons.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Donald Jackson's winning program at the 1962 Worlds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Alrsemq_mzQ

Yes, this is a piece of figure skating history everyone should view!! I have watched it many times and this program never fails to amaze me. Many Canadian male skaters - like Kurt Browning for example looked up to Donald Jackson as a role model in male figure skating. In fact, Kurt said the night he landed his famous quad in competition for the first time, he spoke with Donald Jackson before stepping on the ice. Don told him "just go out and do it."

Thanks for posting this!!!!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think it was 1980-81. Would have to research.

it was right around that time... if anyone has a copy of Scott Hamilton's autobiography handy (mine's not with me! shocking! LOL) he mentioned it in his book... and his book has an index so it'd be pretty easy to look it up! :laugh: