Save the chickens | Golden Skate

Save the chickens

Arianne

On the Ice
I've been thinking a lot about chickens lately.

I am sick of people who are using chickens for mass production and treating them in an inhumane way. Today chickens are pumped full of so many hormones and junk and then are left to live their entire lives in a tiny cage. This is sad and unhealthy for the chicken and also very unhealthy for those of us who buy this chicken and their eggs.

God gave us animals for us to love and protect. He also gave us animals for food. This does not mean that we should abuse them for monetary gain.

Please think about this the next time you buy chicken products. The least you can do is to buy healthy cage free chicken eggs. If more people would do this, we could atleast put a dent in the dirty dealings of these digusting dirtbags.

Try buying your eggs from a local farmer who has healthy hormone free chickens. They are MUCH better for you, and they taste much better too!

Please pass along to perspective pro poultry people.

Arianne

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Good points and I agree with your comments. Being born under the Asian zodiac of the "rooster" I feel compelled to better treatment of chickens as well. :laugh: J/K;) AAMOF I have always thought Silkie chickens are some of the coolest looking birds and thoroughly entertaining to watch. You'll watch them running around laughing your butt off and then they will stop and look around looking rather majestic and beautiful. Really a neat species. I have no idea if they taste the same being black skinned and such, but regardless they are a bird like any "farm" animal that if treated well will also benefit us, the consumer, more as well.

Cage free chicken and true "farm" eggs are almost a different food altogether. Nothing can compare to a "real" farm fresh egg from happy chickens. Red Bird is a brand around here that once you taste the difference you get hooked on the "good chicken."

Also, how good for you or even just good could a non-active, unhappy and disease prone chicken really be?

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I remember when I was young we had the best chicken. Some we raised and some we bought. It as all corn fed. Years ago, we used to buy chicken and bring it back. I don't know if it's even available any more but I suppose I would have to go back to Nebraska to get corn fed.

Arianne

On the Ice
Check out this article and video about cruelty to chickens.
http://www.goveg.com/factoryFarming_chickens.asp

I don't think I will ever eat chicken again. I am so sad about this. I am starting an organization that is pro poultry. It is called: PPPP

People for the Protection of Persecuted Poultry.

What do you think?

Arianne

Last edited:
We used to have semi-free-range chickens for their eggs. They had a large fenced in area to roam and they could eat all sorts of things in nature. We used to get HUGE eggs from them, hardly ever anything smaller than an extra-large. They weighed more than our little egg scale could measure! And the yolks were so brightly colored, not some pale nearly yellow color like the ones we buy in the store now-a-days.

Blue Bead

Medalist
Try buying your eggs from a local farmer who has healthy hormone free chickens.

It should be pointed out that not all local farmers have the time to have their chicken feed custom ground or want to mess with that, so one has to be careful and ask questions of the farmers with poultry to find out which ones don't use commercial feed. The vast majority of commercially produced poultry feeds will have antibiotics in them, and usually hormones as well. That's what how those big plump friers are produced. Some of the regional and nationwide poultry producers are starting to offer antibiotic-free, hormone-free, fresh-dressed young chickens in the supermarket poultry cases. Tyson is a good example.They are a wee bit more expensive than a regular frier chicken but they come really close to what the chicken of 40 to 50 years ago tasted like. When I was a child we butchered our own chickens on the farm and they tasted nothing like what today's commercially grown chickens do. Today's chickens are bland in comparison.

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I remember that 60 Minutes had a thing about Tyson chicken years ago. It was about how filthy the place was and how filthy the chickens were in they way they were produced. It was really gross. I didn't eat chicken for a long time and had almost forgotten about it. I suppose there are some farms around here that sell chickens or eggs but I have no idea who, when why, or what.

Thanks for the push. :agree: I bought cage-free eggs for the first time today and informed my partner that we would be eating them from now on. To my surprise, he just said OK. (He hasn't seen the price yet....)

We're a bit more comfortable financially just now. So this is the right thing to do.

Arianne

On the Ice
Spun Silver---I'm glad to hear that you made the switch. I live next to a couple of HUGE chicken "factories" that have really opened my eyes to the cruel way that these animals are treated. If more people would make a switch to free range, we could make a differance!

julietvalcouer

Final Flight
Sorry. I'll make the switch when 'free range' is less than regular old eggs. Esepcially when I'm buying 1 1/2-2 dozen at a time for baking.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I've made the switch to free range some time ago - they come in far more convenient packaging than regular eggs.