What's up with Joannie? | Golden Skate

What's up with Joannie?

flying camel

Medalist
I haven't heard anything about her. Does anyone know what music she is skating to? Is she working with David Wilson again? Does anyone think she will have a triple/triple for the new season. Will she be able to medal or win at Skate Canada? I would really like to see her do well for a change. She has fantastic jumps.:agree:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would like to see her skate well again. after her breakout season she has not been consistant... usually not being able to get through a clean freeskate. I think she might have some indurance issues. She always pops or else falls on her second lutz...

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I was wondering about that too. I was hoping Joannie would go back to her coaches of 2005, when she just nailed triple-triples in the Canadian and attacked jumps after jumps. Since she went back to her old coatch (Perron ?sp), she has been stagnant.

Any news on other Canadian skaters at all? I'm particularly interested in hearing about Myriane Samson, Vaughn Chipeur, Shawn Sawyer, Kevin Reynolds.

SK8LUVR

On the Ice
I really hate it when Joannie pops her jumps. No matter what; you should just go for it. She is really a strong skater but I think that she has some confidence issues. Maybe it is her coaches ... so maybe she should consider mixing it up a bit. I hope that she changes her programs this season. I wasn't too into her last years programs although her costumes were awesome. I saw them up close and they were stunning. However, costumes are not going to get you on the podium. Go Joannie....I really want to see the spark in your:yes: skating again.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I really hate it when Joannie pops her jumps. No matter what; you should just go for it. She is really a strong skater but I think that she has some confidence issues. Maybe it is her coaches ... so maybe she should consider mixing it up a bit. I hope that she changes her programs this season. I wasn't too into her last years programs although her costumes were awesome. I saw them up close and they were stunning. However, costumes are not going to get you on the podium. Go Joannie....I really want to see the spark in your:yes: skating again.

I totally agree with you. She looked very tentative and cautious this year, and this isn't the old Joannie that we were so used to. I think the quality of her technicality is of a top quality (the elevation, coverage), when it is on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie's music choices the last two seasons have been unfortunate, and she doesn't have the confidence to attack programs that are, IMO, too difficult for her. Meanwhile, the competition is becoming tougher, with more and more young skaters easily landing 3/3s.

Her 16th place in the Worlds 2007 SP was a disaster. Joannie needs to do an abrupt about face this season, or the judges won't reward her sufficiently even when she skates well.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
I was hoping Joannie would go back to her coaches of 2005, when she just nailed triple-triples in the Canadian and attacked jumps after jumps. Since she went back to her old coatch (Perron ?sp), she has been stagnant.

Joannie's coaches during that season were Josée Normand and Sébastien Britten, and I agree going back to them might be a good idea. Not only was that the season Joannie first landed 3-3s, she also started landing her 3-lutz consistently (after struggling with it for years after relearning it under the proper technique) and consistently skated clean short programs. IMO, those are the three main things Joannie needs to do in order to improve her world ranking.

Unfortunately, I can't remember the last time Joannie skated a clean SP since returning to her old coach. :frown: It's true she's been able to come back strong in the LP in the past, but of course, she'll have to skate both programs cleanly if she wants to win a World or Olympic medal and she hasn't been able to do that in the past couple of years.

I really liked both of Joannie's programs last year and wouldn't be disappointed if she decided to keep them this year, especially her SP. The only things I disliked about Joannie's SP were her costume (it was lovely, but didn't really fit the theme of the program, IMO) and the fact she was never able to skate it cleanly. :frown:

euterpe

Medalist
I can't recall Joannie doing a completely clean FS in international competition this past season. She always seems to pop or double a jump, and she seems so insecure. At this point, I think she may need a sports psychologist.

R.D.

Record Breaker
man, give her a break :laugh:

that said, she did seem to hit a low point last year at Worlds. I think she'll bounce back, though. Look what happened to Kostner and Ando, who have gotten similar criticism in the past.

Now, FS seems to be all about the ups and downs. You have to be able to deal with both. In fact, one could make the argument that a skater who's been down and bounces back, especially to a major win, is stronger than those who start out at or near the top and just keep winning.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rochette has never achieved as much early success as Ando and Kostner. At 16, already having medaled twice at Jr Worlds, Ando was the 2004 JGPF and Jr World Champion, and Kostner won silver at the 2002 JGPF, bronze at 2003 Jr Worlds and bronze at 2005 Worlds. Both skaters have had major inconsistencies, but at the same time, both have successfully landed 3/3s in multiple competitions. This past season, both continued to be somewhat inconsistent, but Kostner, now 20, won Euros and finished 5th at Worlds despite being injured early in the season; and 19-year-old Ando won Skate America and Worlds.

Rochette's best season was at 18 in 2004-2005, when she won bronze at the GPF. But she finished 11th at Worlds that year. Her best finishes were 5th at the 2006 Olympics and 7th at 2006 Worlds, but she finished only 10th at 2007 Worlds. She is as inconsistent as Ando and Kostner, but does not have their technical prowess.

kandidy

Final Flight
Her last year's SP music was not suiting her at all.
Her LP was good choreographed and very atheletic.
Wish to see her come back strong and fight with Asian stars.

flying camel

Medalist
Joannie always looks very well prepared for Skate Canada. After that she seems to be a defferent skater. She does however have some very reliable jumps. But that is not going to get her on the podium. I wonder if she should try Frank Carroll.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Joannie trying Frank Carroll?, I doubt it. She is a Quebecois to the core and will probably never leave Quebec for a long time. I honestly think there are a lot of other excellent coaches she can try in the rest of Canada especially in GTA (Mariposa, Toronto Cricket, Curling and Skating Club) and BC (BC Centre of Excellence). But then the question is will she consider it?

btw, I am not blaming her quebecois cultural background or anything remotely close to it. I am a big fan of hers and do love her skating. Don't get me wrong.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie's blown the SP without a 3/3. She supposedly "had" a 3/3 last season, but we never saw one in competition.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Joannie's first year she had one 3/3 and a 3/3 sequence after the halfway point. she got great marks. she needs to go back to this formula if she wants to be a winner. or even a runner up.

flying camel

Medalist
I don't ever recall seeing her 3/3, which one was she landing?
Well, it should not be that difficult for her to relearn it.

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
I don't ever recall seeing her 3/3, which one was she landing?

The 3Toe/3Toe.

Not as good as having a 3Lutz/3Toe or 3Flip/3Toe, but it DOES definitely help.

She's also done a 3Flip/3Sal sequence. Of course, it wouldn't count for anything with the new rule change to sequences; unless she is able to change it to a 3Flip, half-loop, 3Sal...which I somehow doubt! A 2Axel, half-loop, 3Sal is probably realistic, however, and is actually a little better in terms of points (so that the 3Flip doesn't get the "sequence" deduction...go figure).

EDIT: Here is what she did at her Nationals in 2005, btw:

3Toe/3Toe
3Lutz
3Loop
2Axel
----------
3Flip/3Sal, sequence
3Lutz/2Toe
2Axel

This is what I would suggest her to do for this coming season (unless she can get a stronger Triple/Triple combination trained):

3Toe/3Toe
3Lutz/2Toe/2Loop
3Loop
----------
2Axel/3Sal, sequence
3Lutz
3Flip
2Axel

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, she did 3T3T in the 2004-2005 season, but most of the time she double-footed the second jump. That may have been one of the reasons why she stopped doing it.

Last season, she was reportedly working on 3Z3T, but we never did see even an attempt in competition. I think she simply does not have the confidence to try it in performance.

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
I think Joannie attempted 3/3 at the 2007 Canadian. She seemed to get an enough height on a second jump and it looked promising (yes, it was way too big for a double). However, she ended up doing a double.

Go Joannie Go!