Carroll?

Arutunian?

Nicks?

Mishin?

Moskvina?

Submit your evidence! :)

discoduck

On the Ice
Tarasova: Alexei Yagudin with four world titles and Olympic gold.
G and P won Olympic gold in 98 (I don't know if she was coaching them prior to that)
Bestimionava and Bukin had three or four world titles and an Olympic gold.
Rodnina and Zatisev won three worold titles and Olympic gold. I don't know if TT coached her with Ulanov or not.
She was coaching Shizuka in 2004 when she won worlds as well.

Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd have to look up some of the others that were brought up. :)

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
Nobu Sato - Yukari Nagano, Fumie Suguri and of course Yuka Sato.
Arutunian - Michelle Kwan, Mao Asada, Yagudin (briefly)
Morosov - Shizuka Arakawa, Daisuke Takahashi, Miki Ando

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Frank Carroll coached Linda Fratienne (sp?) to Nat and World gold -- and an Oly silver -- under the old 6.0 system, but when figures were still part of the equation. He coached Michelle Kwan to four of her World golds, five of her Nats golds and an Oly silver -- under 6.0, but without figures. He did wonders for Tim Goebel's artistry -- coaching him to a Nat title, Oly bronze, and two world silvers -- also under 6.0, but without figures. Finally, he has coached Evan Lysacek to a Nat gold and two world medals under the CoP.

What makes him unique is that he is one of the few coaches who coached singles skaters to the world podium under all different judging systems.

flying camel

Medalist
Great topic!

From the past I would have to choose Carlo Fassi.

Presently, I have to go with Frank Caroll - I chose him because most of his skaters have been with him for years. Morosov has been successful but most of his students were already very successful, but were missing something from their skating. I almost feel like he stole the skater from someone.

Toi add to DiscoDuck's list...

Tatiana "I-coach-Olympic-champions" Tarasova:

Rodnina and Zaitsev, 1976
Rodnina and Zaitsev, 1980
Bestemianova and Bukin, 1988
Klimova and Ponomarenko, 1992
Grishuk and Platov, 1994
Grishuk and Platov, 1998
Ilia Kulik, 1998
Alexei Yagudin, 2002.

:bow: :bow: :bow:

I think mention should also be made of Bin Yao. He brought figure skating to China almost single-handedly and his students dominate the world pairs scene today.

Kasey

Medalist
who is Tarasova's current student anyway?

Tarasova has a position with the Russian skating federation, and I think is not "officially" working with any students at this point, but assisting in choreography for various members of the Russian team (at least, that is what I understand her position to be). I think she is still involved with Griazev, but more like a figurehead than an actual coach.

discoduck

On the Ice

Grishuk and Platov, 1994
Grishuk and Platov, 1998
Ilia Kulik, 1998
Alexei Yagudin, 2002.

Thanks Mathman! I knew I had left out a few. :)

Someone mentioned Yao Bin. I think he is a legend for sure (and one of my personal skating heroes) but I'm not sure if he would be THE most successful coach of all time. Certainly in the top ten though. Here are the stats as I remember them.

Shen/Zhao: Two world gold medals
Three world silvers
One world bronze
Two Olympic bronzes (which should be silver especially the 2006 one but I digress. :laugh:)

Pang/Tong: One world gold
One world silver
One world bronze

Zhang Squared: Olympic silver
One world bronze
One world silver

Looks like TT still has him beat. Also for the record, I only had to look one of those up on the ISU site. I believe in earning my user title. :laugh:

all that

Final Flight

Grishuk and Platov, 1994
Grishuk and Platov, 1998
Ilia Kulik, 1998
Alexei Yagudin, 2002.

Wow! She coached three different disciplines -- pairs, dance, and men's singles -- successfully? I would think that is quite difficult to do.

Also, did she just not coach ladies?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Wow! She coached three different disciplines -- pairs, dance, and men's singles -- successfully? I would think that is quite difficult to do.

IIRC, she coached Shizuka Arakawa, at least for a while. I think, though, she took over the coaching just a few weeks before Dortmund, though; coached Shizuka through her abysmal 2004/2005 season; and Shizuka switched to Morosov just before Torino.

pista04

On the Ice
Cohen

Tarasova also spent time coaching Sasha Cohen and Johnny Weir, but not to any significant medals (worlds/olys)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
TI don't know if TT coached her with Ulanov or not.
No. Rodnina was 100% the creation of Stanislav Zhuk. She won Olympic gold with Ulanov under Zhuk; shortly after the Olympics, Ulanov dumped Rodnina to skate with Smirnova from Smirnova/ Suraikin pair. Zhuk then found Zaitsev for Rodnina to skate with. A short while later, Rodnina and Zhuk parted company. Honestly, I think that while Tarasova certainly helped Rodnina with her second and third Olympic gold, Rodnina was, is, and will always remain the product of Zhuk's teaching.
IIRC, she coached Shizuka Arakawa, at least for a while. I think, though, she took over the coaching just a few weeks before Dortmund, though; .
I think in Dortmund Shizuka really benefited from the combination of the technique she got from Callaghan and the artistry and extra choreographic umph she got from TT

It's funny. Until Kulik, she was strictly a dance coach (yes, she coached Rodnina & Zaitsev, but that was the exception; besides, she was not the one who taught them any technical elements). When she started training Kulik, everyone though she was crazy; she herself often went back to Kudryavtsev (Kulik's former coach) for advice. After he won - then she became popular as a singles coach.

Also, I think what TT is great at is adding the little something special to her skaters. In the movie I recently translated on TT (in part 7 - http://ptichkafs.livejournal.com/24490.html) - Zhulin and Navka talk about how TT helped them just before the Olympics. She only spent 4 days with them, certainly not enough for any "credit" for the victory, but they do paint a picture of the kind of touch TT can add.

In any case, it's hard to say who is the "greatest" coach. TT succeeds with skaters who come to her with solid technical skills (the only real exception is Moiseeva and Minenkov). Others, such as Bin Yao, teach skaters almost from scratch. Who is to say which of them is "greater".

Last edited: