Still hard days coming to the champion | Golden Skate

Still hard days coming to the champion

sorcerer

Final Flight
Recent article from Kyodo NY, July 10th (in Japanese):

-- "I miss Japanese language" says Miki Ando training in the US --

Crossing the Hudson River gazing the Manhattan skyscrapers, off the ferry and about 40 minutes drive will take you to Hackensack NJ, and to the in-door ice rink on which Miki Ando, the reigning figure skating champion, places her training camp.

She practices every day, morning and afternoon, coached by Nicolai Morozov. She says that the most often instructed is "to be able to take off on the inside edge with my triple flip, I tend to take off on the outside edge."

Since she hurt her shoulder last season she has difficulty in doing the Beillman spin, so she aims to get high scores by doing spirals and flips that get her higher points. "I havn't started practicing the quad," she says. Her new program for this season starting in October isn't completed yet, but she shows eagerness to "reach the highest level 4 if possible" in spins and so forth.

She told us "I completely rely on Nicolai on my program, and when he gives me the music and the choreo I would like to make them mine. I've never said anything like what I would like to have."

She is staying in a place about 10 minutes drive to the rink. "I can't speak English, and I don't have a car, so I can't go out to anywhere by myself. I sort of can't get used to huge cities like Manhattan. I know it might be better to take interest in more various things..." she says in a lonely tone.

She has no one around her to chat freely with. "I miss Japanese language." She faces strict limitations on the calories she takes, and says "I love pizza, pasta, and the like. But I keep myself away from them lest I gain weight."

Four months have passed since her victory in the World Championships. "I still have some shortcomings compared to other skaters. What I'm trying hard is to catch up, that's where I am," were the words of Mikitty.

Last edited:

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Poor kid. If there isn't a nearby Japanese-speaking community group, are there any universities or colleges that teach the language, so she could find a student who wants to learn (or practice) Japanese?

flying camel

Medalist
I can't wait to see those spirals that are going to give her higher scores.

I thought one of the top Japanese male skaters skated with her. Why is she all alone? Why doesn't she take some English classses so that she can understand her surroundings.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I I thought one of the top Japanese male skaters skated with her. Why is she all alone? Why doesn't she take some English classses so that she can understand her surroundings.
I don't think she doesn't speak any English - otherwise, how would she communicate with her coaches?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
No matter how well she speaks English, she would probably still want to be able to talk in her native language -- maybe, just to feel more closely connected to home, at least for a little while. After all, on both COI and SOI, there are a lot of Russian skaters who speak English very well -- and they all like to spend some time together speaking their native language.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am surprised that she has returned to the US for coaching. I though that last season she had returned to Japan and admitted to being happy there, athough last year's programs were chreographed by Nicolai Morozov. I hope that she returns to japan soon. She skated so much better and with so much confidence when she was based there. I assume we have seen the last of the quad, if she was serious about landing it again she owuld be training it. I guess she thinks that if she became world champion without it, she dosen't need it. I hope that she will have a good season this year and prove that it just wasn't a fluke that she won. Strange that she dosne't even have a hand in selecting music... music chocies should be personal. no wonder she has been criticzed for not being artistic and not relating to the music. If she is not having a say in what she is skating too i can't belive she is doing that well.

Well, I think it is a rough life for any young person, let alone a world champion! If Miki can't find someone better to show her around Manhattan and get her some Japanese food, tell her to get in touch with me! I can't help with the Japanese language, though. :)

Ever growling, eh, RD? :scowl:

I think I've seen her interviewed on TV speaking SOME English.... :thumbsup:

If not, better scratch the suggestion. :cry:

blackrose050

Rinkside
I thought one of the top Japanese male skaters skated with her. Why is she all alone? Why doesn't she take some English classses so that she can understand her surroundings.

I think she trains with Daisuke Takahashi. So hopefully he's around to cheer her up a bit when she's lonely.

sorcerer

Final Flight
Well, when Japanese people say "can't speak English", the meaning varies from "speak none" to "speak little". My compatriots tend to say "can't speak" in precaution, because if you say "I speak little" they usually start talking to you in fluent English with unconscious rapidity, which you can't follow. :p
(...BTW if a Japanese goes to Montreal and says the usual "can't speak English well", they rejoice and start speaking French to you! :biggrin: )

My very personal imagination is that Miki has spent lots of mental energy in order to fend off the psycological burden of being the famous "Mikitty", and she found that replacing the burden to a heavier one works the best. ...Looks to me that she has chosen to be more cruel to herself.
She probably has come to a point where taking it easy would spoil her motivation, and determined to live as much as possible within the "skater Miki Ando".
So if it consequently seems as if she lacks casual sociability, I'd beg your forgiveness for that as her fan, though I know I've no right to speak on her behalf, especially based on these personal imaginations.

But I'm so happy to read the the warmness of people like Spun Silver and others; we have a channel here (though bit narrow) that occasionally reaches Miki, and your cheering spirit will surely be transferred! :)

PS: I hope Miki will be conpensated with all the worldy fun she's been missing so far when the time comes. I hope it's long away and also soon, very ambivalent.

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I find it odd that she's lonely: there's been a sizeableJapanese community just over the George Washington Bridge in Ft. Lee since I was a kid -- [dinosaur rumbling noises] -- not to mention a shopping mall (which might be in Edgewater). Not to mention the hundreds of colleges in the NY metro area.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, I think it is a rough life for any young person, let alone a world champion! If Miki can't find someone better to show her around Manhattan and get her some Japanese food, tell her to get in touch with me! I can't help with the Japanese language, though. :)

Great idea! :agree: :biggrin:

Hey, as an ESOL teacher, I'd be delighted to help Miki with her English. Miki, you can be my student anytime! :)

:scratch:
I find it odd that she's lonely: there's been a sizeableJapanese community just over the George Washington Bridge in Ft. Lee since I was a kid -- [dinosaur rumbling noises] -- not to mention a shopping mall (which might be in Edgewater). Not to mention the hundreds of colleges in the NY metro area.

So I guess nobody in America is lonely since we're all surrounded by people who speak our language(s), as well as shopping malls and colleges?
:scratch:

Anyway, celebrities can't just mingle since they have to be on the watch for loony fans. It seems Japan's top skaters are indeed celebrities.