Mission accomplished - Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy | Golden Skate

Mission accomplished - Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The 2006-07 season was a very successful one for Germany's 2007 European Pair Skating Champions Aliona Savchenko and Robin Szolkowy. It was their best season so far, but it was also their toughest season.

More

Deutsche Version

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I love this team, but think Steuer is a creep. In that regard, I agree with an article I translated some time ago on him (scroll down to the part "A cowardly informer hid behind skaters"). I do, though, wish Alyona and Robin all the best.

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the interview - I too love this team and absolutely can't wait to see their new program to Asoka!!!

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I love them. I can't wait for them to get the world title that they deserve.

discoduck

On the Ice
Thanks for the article! I'll admit that I was not a fan at first but they are slowly winning me over. :) Their new short program sounds very interesting.

Audrey19

On the Ice
I hardly can imagine skating them to such music, but I´m sure they will do a great job, like they always do :yes:
And Steuer is not a creep, the people who caused all this senseless trouble about his past are creeps! He did that 20 years ago, so what´s the use of punishing him(and his couple) now, for things which aren´t important anymore? I´m happy they made so much progress to allow him being their coach, it seems like the end of all this trouble is near, hopefully!

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I disagree with the "Steuer wasn't a creep" theory -- apparently, there were a lot of athletes who managed the same situation with the Stasi without taking a lot of their money, and, without turning in other athletes. At the very least, he could have admitted what he had done immediately, instead of lying about it. I agree with Ptichka!!!

Audrey19

On the Ice
Of course it wasn´t right what he did, but he regrets it and he didn´t cause any damage. Also the situation was difficult for him, like for all the others who were involved in STASI affairs. What had happened to him if he had denied working for the STASI? He would have been the one who would have being observed.
The German Skating Union had almost forbidden him going to Torino with Aljona and Robin-and what for? He is a great coach, so why don´t they led him do his job and lead Aljona and Robin to the top?
See my point?

Patty1983

Spectator
I hardly can imagine skating them to such music, but I´m sure they will do a great job, like they always do :yes:
And Steuer is not a creep, the people who caused all this senseless trouble about his past are creeps! He did that 20 years ago, so what´s the use of punishing him(and his couple) now, for things which aren´t important anymore? I´m happy they made so much progress to allow him being their coach, it seems like the end of all this trouble is near, hopefully!

I agree with you that he did all that 20 years ago, but I don't think that these things aren't important anymore. on the contrary, I think that one has to distinguish between Steuer the private person and Steuer the coach and as a coach, he should be judged on the successes of Aljona and Robin and not on his past.
anyway, I wish Aljona and Robin the best of luck for the upcoming season.

Last edited:
Hi Patty, thanks for posting. Welcome to the forum. Post often, post long. :)

About the view that people should let by-gones be by-gones, forgive and forget -- it doesn't seem to work that way. The Armenians haven't forgiven the Turks, and the Shi'ites and Sunni's are still at each others' throats after 1200 years.

The more we try to brush old injuries and greivances under the rug, the more they pop up in unexpected places.

JMO.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Of course it wasn´t right what he did, but he regrets it and he didn´t cause any damage. Also the situation was difficult for him, like for all the others who were involved in STASI affairs. What had happened to him if he had denied working for the STASI? He would have been the one who would have being observed.
What on earth do you mean by "didn't cause any damage"? As I understand, careers were indeed ruined because of his reporting. In any case, the problem was not just that he worked for Stasi - most elite athletes of GDR did it; I was sort of almost on Steuer's side until the extent of his spying was revealed. He, apparently, was especially active with it, though, going out of his way to report on people.

Furthermore, I think his behavior since the scandal broke has been despicable. At no point did he say he regretted anything (correct me if I am wrong here, I could very well be). In fact, he spent much time actually denying his involvement in the first place. I might have had sympathy for him had he come out right after the news broke and said - yes, I did it, it was a different time, please forgive me, etc. That is not what he chose to do.

Finally - it's not like Germany is trying to arrest Steuer or anything. All they are saying is that they don't want a former active Stasi spy representing the country; and they consider being a part of the national team to be representing the country.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I couldn't copy the link, but according to one report that I read, Steuer actually reported to the Stasi that one athlete was considering defecting. I also understand that, at the time, such a report would effectively kill the athlete's career -- if the athlete was lucky. Other people forced to co-operate with the Stasi managed to do so without doing such harm.

sillylionlove

Medalist
Personally I was not a fan of Stuer when he was skating and I am not a fan of Aliona and Robis! (I know someone will bash me for this.)

As for what Steur did and didn't do...we don't know the whole story. Besides East Germany was a communist society not a democratic society. They could pretty much do whatever they wanted to people and do it however they wanted (well not really but I think you get my point.) Remember this was the same country that has all these secret files on Katarina Witt.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
http://www.pixeleis.de/index2.php?lan=de&section=medien&sub=freiepresse090707

Their new short program costumes. Candidates for next years' worst(best) costume? LOL. Definitely original though.

You can download the soundtrack of 'Asoka' from the following link. Does not sound very Indian though.
http://www.bollyfm.net/bollyfm/mid/86/movie-rm.html

oh please. they look like show costumes. or ice dancers. I guess they fit the music but not pretty in my book. She is showing too much and white pantaloons don't look good on any guy.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
This was a great article, great story, great team..... thanks GS for putting that out!:clap:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
I love this pair and I'm looking forward to seeing their new programs this fall. Thanks for the article Paula! :)