What's up with Mira? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

What's up with Mira?

feraina

Record Breaker
IIRC, several russian skaters in the recent past have alleged unfair judging, such as Irina Slutskaya, no?

Do we all believe that international judging is perfectly fair and transpararent? :p :rofl:

feraina

Record Breaker
I just found Rosaleen's practice report at the last Skate Canada back in November, 2006.
http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14494
During the warm-up, Mira had someone have a look at the heel of her left foot, and Rosaleen hoped that nothing was wrong with it. Sounds to me like it's a recurrent problem with that heel, since at least last November, and not something she just "invented" after Worlds.

I, for one, am more inclined to believe that her coach was telling the truth when saying that Mira is a tough girl not wanting to publicize her injuries as an excuse for her non-ideal results, than to believe that she made up excuses post-hoc and dishonestly.

Kasey

Medalist
My issue with Mira, and other skaters who do it, is publicly "wuzrobbing" herself. Yes, we know that the judging is not always fair. It is just my opinion to have more respect for people who suck it up and try harder next time, fairly or unfairly, than for those who whine about it publicly. She also seems to have issues taking constructive criticisms, instead continuing to do things her way, get the same kind of judging results, and then complaining about the unfairness of the judging. Just not my cup of tea, personality wise. And since her skating does absolutely nothing to improve my view of her.....'nuf said.

passion

On the Ice
Who do you think would be a good choreographer for Mira? ie. who can bring out the best in Mira and work with her natural style? When I say natural style I think of her as being powerful, athletic, as opposed to little ballerina.

rutinia

Match Penalty
Looking back at this year's Canadian nationals, I must say that some skaters' scores are unreasonably high. Especially those of Phaneuf and Samson are laughable enough. In retrospect, it might be a plot against Mira.

But here's the thing. These are the same :eek pictures of Mira that were posted on the last bash Mira thread...and the one before that...and the one before that...and the one before that.

Will someone please explain to me WHAT is the fascination with dragging this skater through the same mud hole over and over and over?

netnuts

Match Penalty
Mira

Another Mira diary easily expands into hundreds of pages...:chorus:

Summer lull?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking back at this year's Canadian nationals, I must say that some skaters' scores are unreasonably high. Especially those of Phaneuf and Samson are laughable enough. In retrospect, it might be a plot against Mira.

Scores at Nationals are unreasonably high, and not just at Canadian Nationals.

Compare Mira's PCS scores for the FSs at SA and SC 2006 with her PCS scores from Nationals:

41.36 5.45 5.20 5.00 5.20 5.00 Skate America
46.80 6.20 5.70 5.85 5.85 5.65 Skate Canada

49.27 6.25 6.04 6.08 6.29 6.13 Nationals

Mira skated poorly at Skate America and fairly well at Skate Canada. She was dinged for underrotating two triples at SC, but otherwise her skate was similar to the Nationals skate.

The only one plotting against Mira is Mira herself. She sees herself as comparable with the elites of the World and does not see a reason to work on things like Choreography/Composition and Interpretation. I guess she assumes that the marks she gets at Nationals are what she should be receiving from the ISU judges, and the ISU judges are unfairly marking her.

Kypma

Final Flight
My issue with Mira, and other skaters who do it, is publicly "wuzrobbing" herself. Yes, we know that the judging is not always fair. It is just my opinion to have more respect for people who suck it up and try harder next time, fairly or unfairly, than for those who whine about it publicly. She also seems to have issues taking constructive criticisms, instead continuing to do things her way, get the same kind of judging results, and then complaining about the unfairness of the judging. Just not my cup of tea, personality wise. And since her skating does absolutely nothing to improve my view of her.....'nuf said.

I agree, Kasey. Thanks for getting everything into a simple paragraph. :)
I also agree with what chuckm said:

"The only one plotting against Mira is Mira herself. She sees herself as comparable with the elites of the World and does not see a reason to work on things like Choreography/Composition and Interpretation. I guess she assumes that the marks she gets at Nationals are what she should be receiving from the ISU judges, and the ISU judges are unfairly marking her."

She just seems to have a different view of herself compared to the rest of the world. Also, she comes up with statements of how she's going to stun the world and everything yet often, I've heard reports of her not wanting to fix problematic things, such as her jump technique. I think her coach (Joanne McLeod) actually 'fired' her after the 2005-2006 season because Mira didn't want to cooperate and wanted to do everything her (Mira's) way.

Kypma

fumie_fumie

Final Flight
kypma, you are right.

Joanne McLeod, who has put up with Emanuel Sandhu for all these years, fired Mira for the difference of opinions on training. Later, Mira said in an interview with CBC, she would prefer a coach who will just keep quiet and leave her alone. I think Skate Canada persuaded both Joanne and Mira to get back together, after Mira underperformed in GP events.

Tracy Wilson said how Mira had improved on PCS department in 2007 Canadians from 2006. IMO, I didn't see any major improvement, and her jumps lost some of quality shown in 2006 in terms of speed and height.

Having said that, I am kind of feeling bad about being too harsh on a 18-year old girl. Although I am not a big fan of Mira, I hope all the best for her next season.

Secretly, I am hoping Myriane Samson will continue with the progress she made last 2 years, and add consistency, 3/3, more flexible spins and finally unseat Mira.

SolarisFyre

Rinkside
I hope she skates to her full potential, whether that is Top 8 in the world or not. Personally, I have no opinion of her either way, but it is a shame to see someone finish so low when they'd set themselves such high targets. Maybe I'm just an old sap but I find it really sad in a way :eek:hwell: I'm not too bothered about what she's like off the ice and I try not to let things like this cloud my judgement of the skating.

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker
Funny thing is Leung isn't even a top skater and she gets multi-page threads...make that multi-page BASH threads. Not just here, too...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Funny thing is Leung isn't even a top skater and she gets multi-page threads...make that multi-page BASH threads. Not just here, too...

You are right. It is something how such a frankly very mediocre skater, for international skating standards that is, gets so much attention from so many of us. ;) Perhaps she has that something special, that none of us see tangibly that is drawing us all into her.