Gone too soon (Jenny Kirk) | Golden Skate

Gone too soon (Jenny Kirk)

layman

On the Ice
I heard the overture to Die Fledermaus performed in a concert last night and all I could think of was Jenny Kirk. The music was her signature music. Hearing it, made me sad that she decided to quit skating two seasons ago.

I also recently saw the movie, "Chicago" for the first time and all I could think of was Jenny because she chose music from "Chicago" as her signature music for her short program that she used for several seasons.

Hearing the music just reminded me what a special skater Jenny was. She had a lightness and sparkle to her performances. Her years of ballet training and performance helped her bring characters to life on the ice in a way that none of the current stars understand (how to do). I love the way Jenny always looked up and smiled and presented to the audience as she skated. She was aware of the audience and aware that she was performing rather than just checking off a laundry list of jumps. That's a skill that comes from the ballet stage and it's sadly missing in skating today.

Jenny had such a beautiful lightness to her skating. Her jumps were rather small (like Caroline Zhang's) but they were always neat (neat feet, neat positions throughout the jumps, tight, clean rotations).

Jenny had such a lovely way of expressing to music. She really connected with her music and understood how to perform to music. That's why when I hear Jenny's music, I can always see her skating in my mind. Jenny had this special quality where she just lit up an arena with her charm, elan and charisma. I just don't see this quality in any of the current crop of skaters. I miss these qualities greatly.

Whoever convinced Jenny to retire precipitously prior to the 2006 season, has deprived the skating world of one of it's shining lights. I truly miss her skating. I think she had something special that no one else currently has.

Last edited:

nymkfan51

Medalist
I enjoyed Jenny's skating too, and I certainly would have loved to see her continue competing. I truly believe though, that no one talked her into retiring ... but instead, it just wasn't in her heart anymore to continue. Probably the result of many things that made her feel that way ... most of all the death of her mom.
I had the joy of seeing her at 2003 Skate America, where I think she stole the show ... two spectacular programs! I felt she might make her move after that, but it just didn't happen unfortunately.

I like to think she is very happy now ... with no doubts about the decision she made.
She gave us some wonderful skating moments to remember!!! :clap:

flying camel

Medalist
It would have been nice to see where her career would have gone had she not lost her mother. She use to be a real fighter for those jumps. She was one of those skaters you could sit back and just enjoy.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i was really suprised that she retired without even giving herself a chance at the 2006 olympics. I hope that she is happier now... I know that she was coaching in Massachutes. I think that perhaps the main reason she quit is becasue she was homesick. she didn't seem like a california girl to me and maybe she that she could not make it without Frank, so she went back home. Yeah, Jenny was a very classy girl and she is missed.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
All these comments are so true. I really miss her. She was such a class act. Wish there were more like her. I would hope somehow she would be able to read all this and know.

emma

Record Breaker
I'll always remeber her Chicago short program - everything about it was great including the dress!

I think of Jennie as a skater who rarely focused in competitions. Too bad, she was definitely a medalist, imo.

Joe

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'll always remeber her Chicago short program - everything about it was great including the dress!

agree. i REALLY liked that program. I think i have to try and find it on youtube and watch it now.

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
All these comments are so true. I really miss her. She was such a class act. Wish there were more like her.
:agree: so much. She "was" a favorite of mine - to watch - and was so glad upon her brief return. I have a friend that is not a fanatic FS fan and his response when I told him she hung up the amateur skates - like someone we knew had passed away. His face was so disheartened. Pathetic in away, but wonderful to know she had such a die hard fan that was hardly a fan of FS.
I would hope somehow she would be able to read all this and know.
I am very certain she does, but this is SeaniBu speculation.;) Of course I am more sure with her for ... well ... if you read the posts and threads enough you will understand why I am 99% sure there are at least 2 posters here that will give her the info - at the least.

FSOWebmaster

On the Ice
i was really suprised that she retired without even giving herself a chance at the 2006 olympics. I hope that she is happier now... I know that she was coaching in Massachutes. I think that perhaps the main reason she quit is becasue she was homesick. she didn't seem like a california girl to me and maybe she that she could not make it without Frank, so she went back home. Yeah, Jenny was a very classy girl and she is missed.

Jenny is no longer coaching in Boston. After coaching for a little while, she eventually moved back to Southern California, where she is now living and attending school. Jenny's not involved in figure skating any more by her own choice.

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Here's another recent Jenny Kirk thread which includes a link to an interview further detailing why she's no longer skating, as well as links to her new talk show and MySpace:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?p=251454

I was also disappointed Jenny quit skating when she did, but it sounds like she had good reasons. I'm glad she's enjoying her new life outside of skating and I wish her the best of luck in her broadcast career. Who knows? Maybe we will see her back at the rink someday...as a commentator! :agree:

Thanks for the reminder, Astimegoesby. Here's the direct link to the interview.

http://figureskatersonline.com/news_05182007_kirk.html

A big :bow: to the journalist, Jamie Blanchard. (Is that you, FSOWebmaster? :agree: ) Jenny really opened up about her feelings regarding her skating career and her decision to move on with life in a different direction.

BTW, isn't it about time for episode five of OMGDYH?

Jenny Kirk and Ann Patrice McDonough (two of the prettiest skating ladies of all time -- I met them both at 2002 Skate Anerica in Spokane :rock: ) are my number one exhibit as to why Olympic-style competitions should be over with juniors.

After you win the junior world championship and the Olympic gold medal at 16, then you decide if you want to turn pro/go senior, or whether you feel, "Yay for me, and now it's time to look around and see what else is out there."

FSOWebmaster

On the Ice
A big :bow: to the journalist, Jamie Blanchard. (Is that you, FSOWebmaster? :agree: ) Jenny really opened up about her feelings regarding her skating career and her decision to move on with life in a different direction.

Mathman, thank you very much for the compliment. I am FSOWebmaster on occasion when I feel like I can jump into add something useful to the threads (everyone at FSO shares this name so sometimes others use it to jump in with another useful fact that they know or post a helpful link). Jenny was really a great person to interview. She's very much the person that she comes off -- there's no smoke and mirrors there.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Whoever convinced Jenny to retire precipitously prior to the 2006 season, has deprived the skating world of one of it's shining lights. I truly miss her skating. I think she had something special that no one else currently has.

I think to suggest that it was not wholly her decision is a disservice to her. She had been battling injury, inconsistency, and IMO a lack of true love for the sport. She held on a whole lot longer than a lot of people expected her to, and while I would have loved to see her continue, her last season saw very little JOY.

It could be her mother's death just wiped out a lot of what she loved about competing, maybe injuries. Who knows, all I know now is she seems content and happy moving on, and THAT is what matters.

ETA - I didn't see teh article first time around, and didn't read it until after my post on here... but it really is good to read a very truthful answer. I really wish she hadn't let it get as far as it did, as it sounds like the love for the sport will never truly return, but I cannot fault her. That she went for as long as she did and did as well as she did just goes to show how amazing an athelete she was. A very determined young woman! I have to admire her!

Last edited:

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I loved her Chicago program - it was her signature piece. My other favorite was the Nutcracker suite. I believe this was her Junior LP?
She is truly missed. Not only was she beautiful her skating was fluid.
I am glad she has moved on to her education and I hope she finds happiness with whatever she is doing. She was a great skater and just because she lost her passion for the sport does not mean she did not leave a positive impact on it.

emma

Record Breaker
Great interview, thanks so much for it and the link! I'm glad she is happy and wish her all the best!