Emily Hughes | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes

goldenskates

Rinkside
Does anybody have any thoughts on the 2007-2008 season for Emily Hughes. I think that the music selection of Carmina Burana seems really great for her.
I really like her energy, enthusiasm, drive, and determination very much.

I wish that she could land more jumps though...

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Emily is a good skater. Lots of personality as well. However, I do think Carmina Burana would be a little too heavy for her to skate to.

R.D.

Record Breaker
where did you get that info?

Anyway, isn't she going to Harvard this fall? If she's not giving skating 100% I can't see how she can improve- she already slipped somewhat last year at worlds.

Light music suits her style best, IMO

Last edited:

Kasey

Medalist
Reportedly, she's using "I got rhythm" for her SP. I think both music choices are going to be good for her style. Very much looking forward to her new programs. I like her spirit!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'll be excited to what she comes up with for these pieces of music... I love watching her skate!

goldenskates

Rinkside
where did you get that info?

Anyway, isn't she going to Harvard this fall? If she's not giving skating 100% I can't see how she can improve- she already slipped somewhat last year at worlds.

Light music suits her style best, IMO

Yes, I agree with you in that she did slip somewhat last year at worlds (9th place) compared to the previous year (7th place), but I feel that she really improved with her speed and chorography (especially the chorography).

flying camel

Medalist
I am anxious to see what Mark Mitchell can do for her in terms of choreography and style. I think she needs to soften up her look. She just seems so rough sometimes.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
If her pattern at Nats holds up, she should win this year.

(of course, if her pattern at Worlds had held up, she should have come in 4th, so her Nats pattern could break this year, but still ...)

goldenskates

Rinkside
I am anxious to see what Mark Mitchell can do for her in terms of choreography and style. I think she needs to soften up her look. She just seems so rough sometimes.

Yes, I do agree with you that she seems rough at times. She also does seem to skate heavy, not light on her feet. Her sister Sarah was really light on her feet. Emily also seems to be really nervous and I also feel nervous for her.

waxel

Final Flight
Carmina Burana would seem a good choice for her bombastic style of skating. Not sure how much needed improvement we'll see this season in light of her splitting time between school and training. But having Mark Mitchell around can't hurt.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
If her pattern at Nats holds up, she should win this year.

(of course, if her pattern at Worlds had held up, she should have come in 4th, so her Nats pattern could break this year, but still ...)

I find it HIGHLY doubtful that even with the inflated marks that emily seems to get at nationals she could win. If kimmie and Caroline were sidlined due to injury then maybe. Right now I can not see her placing above Either of these girls es with nationals about a week after Harvard finals. Alissa might even skate somewhat cleanly like she did last year and get a spot on the podium.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
I find it HIGHLY doubtful that even with the inflated marks that emily seems to get at nationals she could win. If kimmie and Caroline were sidlined due to injury then maybe. Right now I can not see her placing above Either of these girls es with nationals about a week after Harvard finals. Alissa might even skate somewhat cleanly like she did last year and get a spot on the podium.

I doubt that the judges will want to give the title to Caroline, if there is any way to avoid doing so, simply because they won't like the Nat champ being too young for Sr. Worlds -- and the child could get competition jitters. Alissa could end up anywhere in the top 10. So, while I won't be surprised if the pattern breaks, all Emily needs to win is for Kimmie to have a (really) bad night.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I doubt that the judges will want to give the title to Caroline, if there is any way to avoid doing so, simply because they won't like the Nat champ being too young for Sr. Worlds -- and the child could get competition jitters. Alissa could end up anywhere in the top 10. So, while I won't be surprised if the pattern breaks, all Emily needs to win is for Kimmie to have a (really) bad night.

danille khale is working her way up... might land in the top three and we can't forget about rachel flatt who has triple triple in her arsenal. Emily just dosen't have the goods to be national champ.

pista04

On the Ice
Hm

I dont know if you should really put too much thought on Dani Kahle for Nationals. We all did that for Katy Taylor....maybe it jinxed her?

As for Emily winning...it actually wouldnt be too shocking for me. All the medal winners last year were actually very close to eachother in points, and I must say I'd love to see Emily take it: it'd be so creepy, too, since Kimmie did the exact same thing (Bronze/Silver/Gold) but I'd love it, and she would have deserved it in my opinion.

flying camel

Medalist
I would love to see Khale come to skate and make the top three. She and Bebe are two young ladies that have not quite lived up to their potential. I think Flatt would have a more realistic shot at making the podium over Emily. Flatt does not seem afraid to compete. Nationals is going to be so exciting. Boy I hate my job. I can't type anything.

pista04

On the Ice
Hm

Flatt would have a more realistic shot at making the podium over Emily.

I dont think that's accurate. Emily was very close to passing Meissner at nationals, and do you really think that with a clean skate Flatt could come close to passing Meissner also? I don't. Rachael will have her time, but in my opinion, not over Emily.

Taan

On the Ice
Does anybody have any thoughts on the 2007-2008 season for Emily Hughes. I think that the music selection of Carmina Burana seems really great for her.
I really like her energy, enthusiasm, drive, and determination very much.

I wish that she could land more jumps though...

i think carmina burana is brillant for emily.

emily need to lose 10 lbs and get a tripletriple (any tripletriple will do) and she will be a force next season! even if she can get a tripletriple "sequence" it could really help her. i think her lack of good combos is her greatest weakness and lack of 3loop

fml99

Rinkside
general comments about Emily & Kimmie

I don't believe that a clean Emily can beat a clean Kimmie, either in terms of technical or artistry. Neither of them were that impressive this past season, and yet Kimmie still consistently topped Emily, and rightfully so.

Going forward, isn't Kimmie also attending college part-time at U of Delaware? That should be less demanding for Kimmie and given that she already trains there. On the other hand, Emily will be moving to Massachusetts from Long Island, NY, and the all these changes will widen the gap between her and Kimmie.

That said, there is also the question of what Emily's true goals are in terms of education and skating. Maybe she's testing the waters freshman year. Maybe she just wants to keep doing both simultaneously, recognizing that her skating might slip but perhaps that's okay with her as long as she's enjoying herself. Well, power to her; she has every right to make her own choices.

Frankly, I think the bigger concern is that in general, the US ladies have been slipping in world ranklings. Neither Emily nor Kimmie can compare to their international peers, either in jumps or style, assuming everyone skates well.

R.D.

Record Breaker
^ You make a valid point and I (for the most part) agree.

But...Emily winning next year? Got a bridge over here I can sell! :rofl: