Emily Hughes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Emily Hughes

GoldMedalist

Match Penalty
Yes, Nagasu is awesome.

Nationals is going to be ridiculously competitive. There are at least 8 serious medal contenders and probably about 12 altogether.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Nagasu IS doing Senior Nationals this season, and she has to be included in the mix as one of the more consistent skaters.

Really? I thought she was going to remain Junior and do the JGP as well as Junior nats.

blackrose050

Rinkside
I think Mirai will do very well skating as a senior at Nationals. I could definitely see her in the top 5 or so.

And aside from her not-so-good skates at Nationals, I've checked out some clips of Megan Oster on youtube and I really like what I've seen. I hope she does well next year. :)

antmanb

Record Breaker
Nagasu IS doing Senior Nationals this season, and she has to be included in the mix as one of the more consistent skaters.

Is that provided she qualifies through regionals and sectionals or does the junior champion get a bye through to nationals? I'm presuming that as she's skating in the JGP she's less likely to have clashing competitions that get her a bye through regionals and/or sectionals.

Ant

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai's skating at the first JGP in Lake Placid, so her second event is probably going to be the one in Estonia or Croatia. If she wins gold or silver at each event, she will make the JGPF and won't have to do Regionals/Sectionals.

If Mirai doesn't make the JGPF, the Estonia/Croatia events are close enough to SWP Regionals to give her a bye, but she would have to do Sectionals.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Mirai's skating at the first JGP in Lake Placid, so her second event is probably going to be the one in Estonia or Croatia. If she wins gold or silver at each event, she will make the JGPF and won't have to do Regionals/Sectionals.

If Mirai doesn't make the JGPF, the Estonia/Croatia events are close enough to SWP Regionals to give her a bye, but she would have to do Sectionals.

Thanks for the info chuckm.

I suppose that there is a very high liklihood of her reaching the JGPF. Is it just that the JGPF clashed with dates or if a skater makes it to the JGPF then they get a bye to nationals?

Ant

Fred Goss

Rinkside
Competing at Senior Nationals with a reasonable chance of
a good, possibly podium placement, is a level of pressure that
younger skaters haven't yet experienced.

I think it's too early to call skaters who haven't really performed
under those conditions as "consistant"

Sylvia

Record Breaker
I suppose that there is a very high liklihood of her [Nagasu] reaching the JGPF. Is it just that the JGPF clashed with dates or if a skater makes it to the JGPF then they get a bye to nationals?
Any U.S. skater/team who qualifies for the JGP Final will automatically receive a bye to Nationals (junior or senior level) -- this has been the case for a while now.

Competing at Senior Nationals with a reasonable chance of a good, possibly podium placement, is a level of pressure that

I agree. In the case of Nagasu, let's see how she does in her JGP debut in Lake Placid and take it from there.

Bringing this back to Emily Hughes... I'm told that Mark Mitchell choreographed her "Carmina Burana" FS and David Wilson her "I Got Rhythm" SP for this season.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Competing at Senior Nationals with a reasonable chance of
a good, possibly podium placement, is a level of pressure that

Zhang and Nagasu haven't experienced this yet, but Flatt has, and she weathered the experience very well the first time around.

antmanb

Record Breaker
Any U.S. skater/team who qualifies for the JGP Final will automatically receive a bye to Nationals (junior or senior level) -- this has been the case for a while now.

Thanks for the info Sylvia.

Ant

flying camel

Medalist
Bringing this back to Emily Hughes... I'm told that Mark Mitchell choreographed her "Carmina Burana" FS and David Wilson her "I Got Rhythm" SP for this season.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoy Mark's choreography. I can't wait to see it.

After all this does Emily or does she not have to worry about

1. a medal at US Nats?

2. if not will college interfere with her going to worlds?

Kimmie Meissner
Alyssa Czsney
Bebe Liang
Megan Oster
Ashley Wagner
Katy Taylor
Tyler Firth
Who else is eligible for Worlds?

Mirai Nagasu
Caroline Zhang
Who else for Medal only?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
After all this does Emily or does she not have to worry about

1. a medal at US Nats?

2. if not will college interfere with her going to worlds?

Kimmie Meissner
Alyssa Czsney
Bebe Liang
Megan Oster
Ashley Wagner
Katy Taylor
Tyler Firth
Who else is eligible for Worlds?

Mirai Nagasu
Caroline Zhang
Who else for Medal only?

Joe

U.S. senior ladies with byes through Regionals & Sectionals to 2008 U.S. Nationals:
Kimmie Meissner, Emily Hughes Alissa Czisny, Bebe Liang, *Rachael Flatt (for placing in the top 5 at '07 Nats);
Ashley Wagner (her GP in France currently gives her a bye through Easterns);
*Caroline Zhang (Cup of China currently gives her a bye through Pacific Coasts);
Megan Oster (may receive a bye through Midwesterns due to having 2 GPs, but this still needs to be confirmed).

As of now, the skaters following group would need to qualify for '08 Nationals (6th-10th and 12th-14th at last year's Nationals - I'm not listing 15th-21st but don't mean this as a slight to them):
Danielle Kahle (P), Juliana Cannarozzo (E), Katy Taylor (M), Michelle Boulos (E), Christine Zukowski (E), Melissa Bulanhagui 12th (E), Megan Williams-Stewart 13th (E), Taylor Firth 14th (E), improving skaters who did not make senior nationals last year (i.e., Katrina Hacker (E), who just won her Sr. SP & FS groups at Liberty), new seniors including *Mirai Nagasu (P), etc.

Excluding the skaters receiving byes, 12 senior ladies will qualify for 2008 Nationals from each of the 3 Sectionals -- top 4 finishers at Pacific Coasts (P), Mids (M) & Easterns (E) -- in November. Easterns senior ladies already looks like a deep/competitive field right now, with 7 names listed above.

*=too young for 2008 Four Continents & Worlds

Last edited:

mskater93

Record Breaker
But Nagasu could get a bye with a trip to the JGPF which would open up one more spot

Sylvia

Record Breaker
But Nagasu could get a bye with a trip to the JGPF which would open up one more spot
True, but Nagasu's not from the Eastern section (the Pacific Coasts senior ladies' field is not as deep on paper as Easterns), which is why it would help if Cannarozzo and/or Bulanhagui (both skate out of Easterns) could make the JGP Final for the second year in a row.

thanks Sylvia - I knew you would come up with a more realistic picture about the Ladies' Field for US Nationals.

We have 7 top skaters with no nonsense byes; 8 if Megan gets it on her GPs.

Possible partial byes for Zhang and Wagner totals 10

Four top placements at 3 Sectionals will add 12 for grand total of 22.

My Question: Is there a limit on the number of entrants for Senior Ladies?

Joe

nubka

Final Flight
I dont think Emily is mediocre. I actually love her skating style and I think she connects with the audience and the music well. I honestly can't wait to see her new LP.

ITA!! I don't know how she will fare at Nationals, but I really enjoy watching her skate. I certainly hope she will make the podium at Nats...