Which Valse Triste did Virtue and Moir skate to? | Golden Skate

Which Valse Triste did Virtue and Moir skate to?

cassieandcheetah

On the Ice
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what arrangement/version of Sibelius's Valse Triste Virtue and Moir skated to last season. I just didn't think it was the tranditional orchestral version because there are a lot of parts for the solo violin, and lots of cello parts as well....Do you guys have any ideas? Thank you!

hrmsk8ngnutt

Final Flight
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to figure out what arrangement/version of Sibelius's Valse Triste Virtue and Moir skated to last season. I just didn't think it was the tranditional orchestral version because there are a lot of parts for the solo violin, and lots of cello parts as well....Do you guys have any ideas? Thank you!
I remember trying to find the version they used because it was so different from what others have used in the past (Weir, Drobiazko/Vanagas, Rahkamo/Kokko). It sounds more like a chamber group than a full orchestra.

Anyhow, I think the version they used is on this CD: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Dance-Va...760806?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1184952878&sr=1-28

It's called 'The Last Dance: Music for a Vanishing Era (The Music Heard on the Fateful Voyage of the Titanic)' and you can listen to the brief excerpt of Track 8. I'm going to have to get this CD as it seems it might be a challenge to find.

Herm (sk8ngnutt)

all that

Final Flight
The main thing is that it was unusual and danced unusually well. Bravissimo to V&M.

Joe

It was also a risky music choice. Without having a full backing orchestra, the music was very quiet and subtle -- which meant that V/M couldn't depend on the music to pull the audience in and keep their attention. Not only did they had to skate well -- their skating also had to match the subtlety of the music. Messy feet, noisy edges, and poor lines just weren't going to cut it with this music. Quite a challenge to take at your first Worlds appearance!