Skating history of top coaches or choreographers | Golden Skate

Skating history of top coaches or choreographers

emma

Record Breaker
I just got thinking about this - can people who know post information about the skating history of top coaches and choreographers? I am curious to know what the connection is between a person's competitive history (sucesses in comps) and their ability to launch a career in coaching or choreography.

For example, David Wilson - brilliant choreographer in the eyes of many, and from recent vids he moves pretty goody himself; was he a competitive skater? How did he do? Or what about the famous Frank Carol? and so on...

Lori Nichol skated competively, but I don't think she ever made the podium at Canadian Nationals. Her biggest skating credits came as a professional, when she toured with John Curry's company in the early eighties. She regards Curry as a mentor and the person who had the most influence on her as a choreographer.

Trivia question, LOL. Lori Nichol won the silver medal at the 1983 World Pro. Who was first?

(Answer: Editha Dotson)

Sandra Bezic was a fine pairs skater with her brother, Val. They won five Canadian championships in the early seventies and competed in the 1972 Olympics.

Last edited:
Frank Carroll was a pretty good skater in the late 1950s, but he was up against some top guys in the Jenkins brothers, Ronnie Robertson, and Tim Brown for national honors. Carroll never medaled at senior nationals, but he did have a pro career with the Ice Follies.

His coach was Maribel Vinson-Owen :rock: (the Michelle Kwan of the 1930s --except that Vinson-Owen, besides winning 9 U.S. singles championships also won five U.S. pairs championships, with two different partners.)

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Sarah Kawahara was a well liked show skater 'back in her day'... and she went on to be Scott Hamilton's main choreographer for his pro numbers, as well as one of Michelle's first choreographers after dropping Frank and Lori...

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Oleg Vasiliev with his partner Elena Valova were '84 Olympic champions, '88 Olympic silver medalists & were the '85 & '88 World champions, World silver medalists in:'84, '86, '87. Quite an illustrious career.

Peter Oppegard won '88 Olympic bronze with his partner, Jill Watson, '87 World bronze & were National champions in '85, '87 & '88, Nat'l silver medalists in '86.

Then there is Carol Heiss Jenkins: 1960 Olympic champion, '56 Olympic silver. She was the World champion in the following years:'56,'57,'58,'59 & '1960. World silver in '55.
U.S. National champ: '57,'58','59,'60. U.S. silver medalist:'53,'54,'55 & '56.

Last edited:

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Karen Magnussen - who coaches in North Vancouver BC - was the Canadian National champion five times and World Champion in 1973 and Olympic Silver medalist in 1972.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Choreographer LeaAnn Miller was a successful US pair skater winning silver medals with partner Bill Fauver at our Nationals in:'81,'83,'84 & a bronze medal in'82.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Russian pairs coach Tamara Moskvina and Alexei Mishin (now, more famous as a coach for male singles skater) were a pairs team and they won the silver at the 1969 World championships.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Nikolai Morozov was a World level ice dancer - finished 16th with his partner before hanging up the competitive career.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Nikolai Morozov was a World level ice dancer - finished 16th with his partner before hanging up the competitive career.

16th at the 1998 Olympics. As high as 10th at 1998 Worlds. (His partner there went on to become Olympic champion. ;) )

I see he was also 21st at 1994 Worlds with a previous partner, representing Azerbaijan.

all that

Final Flight
Igor Shpilband and his partner won the '83 Junior Worlds in ice dancing.
Marina Zueva and her partner placed 5th in ice dancing at the '77 Europeans and Worlds.

Last edited:

passion

On the Ice
I just got thinking about this - can people who know post information about the skating history of top coaches and choreographers? I am curious to know what the connection is between a person's competitive history (sucesses in comps) and their ability to launch a career in coaching or choreography.

For example, David Wilson - brilliant choreographer in the eyes of many, and from recent vids he moves pretty goody himself; was he a competitive skater? How did he do? Or what about the famous Frank Carol? and so on...

Good question. I would like to further the question by asking what is it about a successful competitive skater that can help them become a good coach?

emma

Record Breaker
I can't believe I spelled Frank Carroll's name incorrectly - sorry. :p

I guess one of the things I'm wondering with this thread is exactly what passion asked and I would include in that question if 'status' (status derived from winning a comp/name recognition) is part of that equation.

But another thing behind my question stems from a skater like Rohene Ward - as I mentioned elsewhere, I have no idea what his plans or hopes are: but let's say he would like to coach or choreograph: would his not very sucessful competitive career thus far hamper his ability to enter the field of coaching?

gofigure

Spectator
Priscilla Hill is still amazing as a skater as well as a coach. I believe she was the youngest lady at Nationals, at age 11, and was also the first lady to land a triple loop. She's a really nice person, as well ... very down to earth and friendly.

Sylvia

Record Breaker
But another thing behind my question stems from a skater like Rohene Ward - as I mentioned elsewhere, I have no idea what his plans or hopes are: but let's say he would like to coach or choreograph: would his not very sucessful competitive career thus far hamper his ability to enter the field of coaching?
No, because Ward is already coaching and choreographing for skaters as a way to pay for his own skating -- he has been for quite a few years now and does some good work, I've heard.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Exactly. I don't think Tarasova set the world on fire as an ice dancer (!) but she's done okay, lol, coaching.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
16th at the 1998 Olympics. As high as 10th at 1998 Worlds. (His partner there went on to become Olympic champion. ;) )

That's right - his partner was Tatiana Navka who dumped him for being too short! (somehow he managed to recover...)

emma

Record Breaker
Exactly. I don't think Tarasova set the world on fire as an ice dancer (!) but she's done okay, lol, coaching.

good point!

but, I can't help but ask - do you think her connections via her father helped her get in the door? How about having Rodnina to coach - getting her suggest some power, and having probably opened other doors, no?

capcomop

Rinkside
I can't believe I spelled Frank Carroll's name incorrectly - sorry. :p

I guess one of the things I'm wondering with this thread is exactly what passion asked and I would include in that question if 'status' (status derived from winning a comp/name recognition) is part of that equation.

Carroll's drive to be a coach, from what I read, was really the large gap left from the 1961 plane crash. He was playing around with coaching or sticking around the show scene. The crash left such a void that a number of folks stepped up. I think it is wonderful that we get to see the influence of Maribel still today!

I don't think that success as competitor equals success as a coach. It is one thing to know how to do it yourself and quite another to explain it to someone else in a million different ways until it is clearly communicated. Success as a competitor may make one more visible to parents, ice school directors etc, but it doesn't make you patient, organized or a solid communicator! If you have to be able to do it to teach it, there would be even fewer men out there doing quads :rofl: