If you were a skater | Golden Skate

If you were a skater

flying camel

Medalist
Do you think you would search the skating forums to see what other people were saying about you? Or would you stay away from the forums? I personally would be too curious and would be all over.:yes:

c_e_ahlen

On the Ice
I'd be way too curious. I'd probably post under a false name as well, just to figure out what people thought. I would be all over it as well.

No way!!! Fans are biased, imo. Reading them will be either too sugary or too nasty. However, I would hire a very cognizant figure skating fan to read them, and bring to my attention any useful constructive criticisms.

Joe

IceSkatingGeek

Spectator
well..

Don't you think skaters get tired of what fans think? At least I'm sure the skaters who have been doing this forever probably lose interest and just do their thing..but as for the younger set, maybe they can get more curious. In fact, I wonder if there is a famous figure skater on this forum, reading everything we write,,hhhhmmmmm...;)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
i woudl be too busy to care. It's what the judges like, not the fans.

SolarisFyre

Rinkside
I've been thinking about this one because I'm a bit of a message-board obsessive so I don't know whether that would ever change, but I don't think I would seek out opinions on what people think of me. I might be interested in the 'What music should so-and-so skate to next season' threads, but with regards technique and skill I would hope my own coaching team would tell me where I was going wrong.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I'm sure I probably would at first during the start of the period where I actually had enough of a competitive record for people to actually BE talking about me, but given the nature of some comments about skaters that I have read on this board, the fascination probably wouldn't last long. No matter how talented and popular you are, there are always going to be a few negative (and oftimes unnecessarily nasty) comments, and who needs to bog themselves down with such negativity??

Hiara80

On the Ice
i would be too curious so i think probably i would read everything:laugh:!
Probaly every skater sometimes read what we write in forums about them ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think if I were a skater I wouldn't have the time to really care :lol: much less come on to the site...

I'd be too afraid of the haters to want to see anything.

Zanzibar

Final Flight
Skaters definitely read some forums, some threads. Generally they seem most interested in ones pertaining to themselves (big surprised, lol!) and occasionally their direct rivals.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
However, I would hire a very cognizant figure skating fan to read them, and bring to my attention any useful constructive criticisms.

Don’t they already do that? As well as hire ppl to write their blogs?

nubka

Final Flight
Good, bad, or in between, I would have a hard time staying away from the boards.

Then again, I was on the internet two days before the new Harry Potter book was released, looking for major spoilers...I'm SO weak, lol !!!

SeaniBu

Record Breaker
Same as now. I would read and think about it. What happens next - how I take it - is up to me.:)

vintagefigureskater

On the Ice
I suspect many skaters do check the skating forums, or have someone do so on their behalf. Both Jeff Buttle and Joannie Rochette have publicly responded to information posted about them on internet discussion boards. I also heard a tale about them apparently reading FSU at an internet café in France while competing at TEB, but have no idea if this is really true.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
When the iskater network was still around Sarah Hughes' coach Robin Wagner created a bit o drama every now and again replying to threads that were critical of the young skater

icesk8erdude4e

Rinkside
It would depend on my schedule. Some days i'd go on and see the rubbish posted about me and some days i'd just be too busy with the busy schedule of a skater to really care or come on.
Yeah again like someone earlier mentioned, its what the judges like not the fans.

sk8addict

On the Ice
I was shocked to find out not only do alot of skaters look at forums, they don't even watch recordings of themselves on television. I always wondered why skaters didn't correct the things Dick Button was saying about them. What a waste. You could improve so much from that free information.

skateskate

Rinkside
I always thought it should be a part of their work, to learn that people or commentators think about them. I was surprised when yesterday on TV Averbukh, after seeing the ending of their Olympics program, said he saw it for the first time. :rolleye:

Hiara80

On the Ice
Skaters definitely read some forums, some threads. Generally they seem most interested in ones pertaining to themselves (big surprised, lol!) and occasionally their direct rivals.

:biggrin: so if i beg:bow: Alexei to come to skate here in Italy may be he will read my post?:rofl::biggrin::laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I always thought it should be a part of their work, to learn that people or commentators think about them. I was surprised when yesterday on TV Averbukh, after seeing the ending of their Olympics program, said he saw it for the first time. :rolleye:

if they're normal human beings, which *gasp* they are, then they probably would rather not watch themselves because they will be their worst critic.

not only that but TV commentators can be rather harsh (Dick Button whenever a 'golden favorite' 'falls from grace' is horrid.) and that can crush one's spirit.

Family and friends watch, though, and give the important feedback without the crap.