JGP # 1 Lake Placid | Page 5 | Golden Skate

JGP # 1 Lake Placid

childfreegirl

Final Flight
How did y'all like Tommy's Bolero? I didn't expect to like it but tried to keep an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. It will be better when he gets a few more miles on it and without the mistakes. I'm looking forward to it later in the season.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Do we have another showman in Austin K.?:chorus:

Into second for the moment. Good for him!

Austin K. He nailed most of his elements, but his jumps do not have lots of speed in and out. I'm really excited about Amar. He seems to be a kid with great potential. Big jumps with very good flow in and out, and secure. Spins are also fast. He's very young, just coming from Novice.

Keep an eye on this kid.

london_calling

On the Ice
I missed the men's FS (I had family over) but I'm very happy for all the men who were able to improve their placements. What a great result for Armin Mahbanoozadeh at his first JGP event.

How did y'all like Tommy's Bolero? I didn't expect to like it but tried to keep an open mind and was pleasantly surprised. It will be better when he gets a few more miles on it and without the mistakes. I'm looking forward to it later in the season.
I've grown to hate that tune. I wish he had skated to something else. He is a very musical skater and that Bolero just repeats the same phrases overand over.

Tommy is in a slump. Everyone he has competed against have moved a head of him. He needs a shrink and a good jump coach specializing in landings.

I felt sorry for the Russian boy too. He has so much talent but it escaped him in the LP. Trouble with the Russian skaters, imo, is that they all have the same style and front load all their jumps. It gets tiresome at least for me.

MM - Of course Maxwell was the US novice champ. I only saw her exhibition last year.

Tomorrow and tomorrow creeps in this petty place for the Ladies LP, the Dance and the Pairs.

Joe

Cal Girl

Rinkside
Mirai just didnt look as strong as she did last year - you can tell she has grown a bit and she may be still adjusting to that but her program just didnt have the stamp of polish on it. However she still looked good for this early in the season.

Alexe looked strong and polished, the loop was just a bit off, however, I do like her overall skating quality and she covers the ice nicely with her long body.

Angela did an amazing 3toe/3toe combo but the rest of her program was still very young. She is short in stature and she needs to work on her overall line. She has great speed in her spins but just didnt nail the 2a or loop. She will need to make up some ground before I really think she is a contender for Junior.

Austin is quite the ham and I was happy he held on to some of his landings. He too looks taller than last season so may be a bit off in his timing. His program and choreography suit him well and he really looks like he is having a good time out on the ice and wants to make sure the audience is too. Cute!

Looking forward to the Pairs and Ladies finals tomorrow. Wondering how the US pairs will do.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Apparently it was the 3Lz.

Thanks.:biggrin: Yikes, just saw the men's rankings. What happened to Louis-Philippe Sirois (CAN). Yikes, he was so strong at Novice nationals last season. Not bad for Andrei Rogozine though. He was 2nd in Novice men's this year.

Last edited:

sk8addict

On the Ice
poor Tommy

Poor Tommy - He was second in the GP Final last year, I believe and then blew the US Nats. I hope he skates a good LP and pulls himself up a couple of notches. Hope he then does a winning Nats in St. Paul. if not, his days are numbered with the USFS.

Artem Grigoriev (Russia), will be a name to watch. I definitely want to see him tomorrow in the reruns and then the LP. What about the quad?

And the Japanese boy, Akio Sasaki. A star in the making?

Joe

I'm afraid Audrey may be becoming the coach of death. !st Weiss, Then Goebel, now Tommy. I'd like to see him with Carol Heiss. She seems to be able to correct jump landings for those out of control. Any thoughts?

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Does anybody know what is the required throw and sbs jump in pairs short?
See my post #43. Juniors can do either 2A or 2Lo as the sbs jump.

FYI, the Men's SP & FS protocols already online! Click on the active "Judges Scores (pdf)" links): http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpusa2007/

Just for the heck of it, I've extracted/typed up Ladies SP protocol notes for those folks who can't wait until tonight following the Ladies FS for the ISU to publish both protocols. ;)

1 Mirai Nagasu USA
3Lz+2T (1 -1 GOE, 6 0/zero, 3 +1), 3Lo (3 -2, 5 -1, 2 0), LSp4 (7 +3, 3 +2 = 3.98 points!), SpSq4 (3 0, 2 +1, 5 +2), 2A (1 -1, 1 0,7 +1, 1 +2), FSSp1 (2 -1, 8 0), SlSt2 (3 0, 6 +1, 1 +2), CCoSp3 (4 +1, 6 +2).

2 Alexe Gilles USA
3Lz+2T (3 -1, 4 0, 3 +1), 3Lo(fall), SpSq4 (8 0, 2 +1), LSp4 (4 0,)5 +1, 1 +2), 2A (4 0, 6 +1), FSSp3 (10 0), CiSt1 7 0, 3 +1), CCoSp4 (7 0, 3 +1)

3 Angela Maxwell USA
2A fall out (3 -3, 6 -2, 1 -1), FSSp1 (3 -1, 5 0, 2 +1), 3T+3T (3 -1, 5 0, 2 +1), SpSq4 (4 0, 4 +1, 2 +2), 3Lo(fall), CCoSp4 (9 +1, 1 0), SlSt2 (4 0, 5 +1, 1 +2), LSp2 (1 -1, 3 0, 3 +1, 3 +2).

4 Joshi Helgesson SWE
2A (1 0, 8 +1, 1 +2), 3S+2T (2 -1, 7 0, 1 +1), FSSp3 (1 -1, 7 0, 2 +1), 3Lo(fall), LSp2 (10 0), SpSq4 (1 -2, 1 -1, 8 0), CCoSp4 (6 0, 4 +1), CiSt2 (7 0, 2 +1, 1 +2).

5 Miruku Matsushita JPN
CCoSp3 (10 0), 3S+2T (1 -1, 8 0, 1 +1), 2Lo (8 0, 2 +1), FSSp2 (2 -1, 8 0), SpSq4 (4 0 6 +1), 2A (5 -1, 5 0), LSp3 (4 -1, 6 0), SlSt1 (8 0, 2 +1).

6 Charlotte Belair CAN
3F(fall)+COMBO, 3Lo (3 -1, 7 0), LSp2 (8 0, 2 +1), FSSp3 (6 -1, 4 0), SlSt2 (9 0, 1 +1), 2A (6 0, 4 +1), SpSq4 (9 0, 1 +1), CCoSp3 (1 -1, 9 0).

7 Na-Hee Sin KOR
2A step out(9 -2, 1 -1), 3S(2-ft? 3turn)+2T (1 -3, 5 -2, 3 -1), SlSt1 (8 0, 2 +1), 2Lo )1 -1, 9 0), LSp4 (6 0, 4 +1), SpSq4 (4 0, 6 +1), CCoSp4 (4 0, 6 +1), FSSp3 (5 -1, 5 0).

8 Satsuki Muramoto JPN
3Lo(fall), LSp3 (2 0, 7 +1, 1 +2), 3S+2T (9 0, 1 +1), FSSp1 (7 -1, 3 0), SpSq4 (7 0, 3 +1), 2A(fall), CiSt1 (5 0, 4 +1), CCoSp3 (1 -2, 7 0, 2 +1).

9 Loretta Hamui MEX
2S+2T, 2Lo, FSSp1, SpSq3, LSp3, 2A, CCoSp4, SlSt3

10 Charlotte Gendreau FRA
2A (6 +1 GOE), 2S+2T, FSSp2, 2Lo, SpSq3, CCoSp4, LSp1, CiSt1

11 Charissa Tansomboon THA
2A, 2Lo, FSSp1, SpSq4, 2F+2T, LSp3, SlSt1, CCoSp1

12 Chloe Depouilly FRA
3S+2T, 2A(fall), FSSp1, 2Lo, SpSq3, LSp2, SlSt1, CCoSp2

13 Isabelle Heintges GER
2A, 3Lo, SpSq1, FSSp1, SlSt1, LSp1, 3S(turnout)+2T, CCoSp4

14 Sigrid Young TPE
2A, LSp2 (9 +1), 3S<(fall)+COMBO, CCoSp2, SlSt2, SpSq4, 2Lo, FSSp1

15 Victoria Muniz PUR
3T(fall out)+COMBO(2T), FSSp3, 2Lo, SpSq1, 2A (6 +1, 1 +2), LSp2, CiSt1, CCoSp1

16 Sara Twete DEN
3T<(fall)+COMBO, LSp1 (5 +1), 2A, 2Lo, SpSq4, FSSp3, SlSt1, CCoSp4 (5 +1)

17 Soo-Jin Kim KOR
3S+2T, 2Lo, SpSq1, 2A, CCoSp2, LSp2, CiSt1, FSSp1

18 Radka Bartova SVK
2Lo, 3T+2T (6 +1), FSSp3, 1A, SpSq (no points), LSp1, SlSt1, CCoSp2

19 Martina Pfirter SWI
3T(fall)+COMBO, 2A, FSSp1, 2Lo, SpSq4, SlSt1, CCoSp2, Lsp2

20 Gracielle Jeanne Tan PHI
2A(fall), 2Lz+2T<, LSp2, SpSq4, FSSp1, 2Lo, SlSt1, CCoSp3

21 Maria-Elena Papasotiriou GRE
2A, 1F+1T, 3Lo<(fall), FSSp1, SpSq1, CCoSp1, SlSt1, LSp1

22 Eva Lim NED
2A<(fall), 3S+COMBO, CCoSp2, SpSq3, FSSp2, 2Lo, CiSt1, LSp1

23 Marta Olczak POL
2Lz+2T, 2A<(fall), FSSp1, SpSq3, 2Lo(fall), LSp1, SlSt1, CCoSp1

24 Jasmina Uzunovic SRB
2F<+2T<, SpSq4, LSp1, 2Lo, FSSp1, SlSt1, 1A, CCoSp1

I'm afraid Audrey may be becoming the coach of death. !st Weiss, Then Goebel, now Tommy. I'd like to see him with Carol Heiss. She seems to be able to correct jump landings for those out of control. Any thoughts?
You may be right on that. I never thought of Audrey' record with the Men. I'd like to see Tommy with David Wilson or Lori Nichol for choreography. Heiss as coach? Why not?

Joe

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Tommy is in a slump. Everyone he has competed against have moved a head of him. He needs a shrink and a good jump coach specializing in landings.

I don't know if I would jump to that conclusion yet. At least the first sentance. It's the first of the season. Sure he's going to be a little rough. Who wouldn't? Okay, maybe I'd better not ask that. I have a feeling I'm going to get half a dozen "well so and so's not..." responses. So Tommy didn't have a huge comp right out of the gate. If you look at the reports from last year, he did great at the first of the season then "was in a slump, was worn out, etc" towards Nats. Who knows? This may be the right thing for him. The only "problem" I see is people see what he did this time last year and expect him to repeat it automatically this year.

So I go ahead. Have at it.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Just finished watching pairs long program. The level of international Jr. pairs competition is pretty awful. The champions did not even try any throw triple. Actually two pairs out of the last group did not attempt throw triples.

The most difficult sbs jump those pairs managed to land was a 2A. No sbs triples.

Rarely you saw triple twists.

Russia is in a deep hole.

We'll have to wait and see how the young Chinese teams will fare in Estonia...

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Just finished watching pairs long program. The level of international Jr. pairs competition is pretty awful. The champions did not even try any throw triple. Actually two pairs out of the last group did not attempt throw triples.

The most difficult sbs jump those pairs managed to land was a 2A. No sbs triples.

Rarely you saw triple twists.

We'll have to wait and see how the young Chinese teams will fare in Estonia...

I agree that technical difficulty was lacking a bit here. I believe that Jones/Jackson and some of the other teams in the final group have triples, but either were unable to complete them here or opted not to. Were MacCuish/Evans the only team to land a throw triple? My internet connection is slow, so the icenetwork audio and video stops sometimes and I don't get to catch everything. I also believe that McCoy/VanCleave were the only team to attempt a 3 twist. Anyhow, great job by the Canadian pairs to finish 1st and 2nd. That's the best result anyone could have hoped for in the first event of the season. :clap: Congratz to the Canadian dancers as well. 2nd and 4th is great, especially since this is Ralph/Hill's very first major competition an juniors. Great day again for Canada.:bow: Also a nice dance by Samuelson/Bates.

oleada

Record Breaker

I disagree.Two Russian teams, Krasilnikova/Bezmaternikh and Bazarova/Larionov, are arguably the top two returning teams in the junior circle. The former are two-time World Junior bronze medalists and were second at the JGPF. Bazarova and Larionov made the JGPF and are the World Junior silver medallists. Both teams have two different throw triples - salchow and loop - and a triple twist. B/L in particular have lovely lines and a nice balletic quality to their programs.

edit: I might be wrong, but I think these two teams were the only ones to beat McLaughlin/Brubaker at any portion of an event last year. K/B at the free skate at the Junior Grand Prix final and B/L in the short at the event in Taiwan.

Clearly, the team that just competed isn't as advanced technically, but they still managed to hang on to a bronze medal. Russia will probably never have the same level of dominance in the pairs level they had before, but I wouldn't say they're in a deep hole. I think they still definitely have some junior-level talent that could do very well in the future.

Finally, congrats to all the medalists! :rock::clap:

netnuts

Match Penalty
I
Clearly, the team that just competed isn't as advanced technically, but they still managed to hang on to a bronze medal. Russia will probably never have the same level of dominance in the pairs level they had before, but I wouldn't say they're in a deep hole. I think they still definitely have some junior-level talent that could do very well in the future.

Finally, congrats to all the medalists! :rock::clap:

Those two Russian teams are really not on par with their usual standard. Maybe they have stronger teams at other stops.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Were MacCuish/Evans the only team to land a throw triple?

Paetsch/Nuss had a gorgeous throw 3salchow -- GOEs up to +2.

Imaikina/Novoselov and Byrne/Bartholomay had minor errors (hand down) on their throw triples.

I also believe that McCoy/VanCleave were the only team to attempt a 3 twist.

Butler/Jacobson attempted but got negative GOEs. Same with Paetsch/Nuss although some GOEs were 0, as for McCoy/VanCleave.

http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpusa2007/jgpusa07_JuniorPairs_FS_Scores.pdf

oleada

Record Breaker
Those two Russian teams are really not on par with their usual standard. Maybe they have stronger teams at other stops.

That's exactly what I'm saying. There are other talented Russian teams who are not at Lake Placid.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Paetsch/Nuss had a gorgeous throw 3salchow -- GOEs up to +2.

Imaikina/Novoselov and Byrne/Bartholomay had minor errors (hand down) on their throw triples.

Butler/Jacobson attempted but got negative GOEs. Same with Paetsch/Nuss although some GOEs were 0, as for McCoy/VanCleave.

http://www.isufs.org/results/jgpusa2007/jgpusa07_JuniorPairs_FS_Scores.pdf

Thanks. Like I said, my internet connection is awful, so I missed a lot with the choppy audio and video quality. I was actually happy when it cleared up slightly for part of the ice dance competition and I was able to watch some of the programs with decent quality. Anyways, I stand corrected lol. Congratulations to Charlotte Belair for moving up to fourth and the US women's team for sweeping the podium. Good for them.

Dance - I thought Samuelson and Bates did well. They look, however to me, like an excellent Junior dance team. Hope they remain in Juniors for another year.

Pairs - I must have got my times all mixed up and when i cam back from lunch with friends, the pairs were finished. I presume most of these will be ON DEMAND so I can watch them another day.

Ladies - I reiterate a solo triiple loop is a very difficult jump!
At Junior level, one has to see a spark of blossoming into Seniors. Very few of these gals had that spark.

Unfortunately for me, my computer went dud on Mirai and I missed her entire skate. I hope they have that ON DEMAND, too.
Miss Gilles, for me, is much too cautious in her skating. She needs to develop confidence in her self. Miss Maxwell is becoming my favorite American Bravura Skater. She stops at nothing but attacks every element to show off her technique at high speed. If and when she skates clean, she will be up there with the best of them. Those lyrical skaters get tiresome after a while and a good bravura skater is a welcome change of pace.

Joe

london_calling

On the Ice
I really enjoyed Mirai's program. It was fun and starting with a spiral sequence was a welcome and nice change. I also enjoyed Alexe and Angela's programs. I think both will get better as the season goes on. Even with their mistakes it was clear the American girls were in a class of their own. I wasn't very impressed by the rest of the skaters.

Congratulations to all the medalists!