JGP # 1 Lake Placid | Page 2 | Golden Skate

JGP # 1 Lake Placid

netnuts

Match Penalty
damn

damn, I made a mistake. I thought there would be live coverage tomorrow on icenetwork.com, so I rushed to subscribe. However, it's apparent there will be no coverage tomorrow, they will only be 'in demand', which means infinite delay...

damn, I made a mistake. I thought there would be live coverage tomorrow on icenetwork.com, so I rushed to subscribe. However, it's apparent there will be no coverage tomorrow, they will only be 'in demand', which means infinite delay...
I think, but I am not sure, that there is coverage on Friday for 'already' subscribers. So you may be included. Hope so, it's the Short Programs, some of which will be repeated on Saturday morning.

Joe

Kutien

Final Flight
I am only familiar with the american entries, so if anybody thinks a non-ameican skater has potential, please post.
I am only familiar with the russian entries =)
Artem GRIGORIEV - we are waiting quad from him this season. 4th on Junior Nationals
Anastaisa KHODKOVA / Pavel SLIUSARENKO Interesting pair. 4th on Junior Nationals, 1st on Russian Junior Nationals Cup at Tver 2007

Sylvia

Record Breaker
So here I am in beautiful Lake Placid! :) I took as many technical notes as I could during the men's, ladies' and pair practices that I saw on Thursday (practices were going on simultaneously in two rinks), and the following is what I am able to transcribe and/or decipher before I head back to the rink.

LADIES

Practice Group 1:
Charlotte Belair (CAN): Saw a few falls on 3Z, 3S and 2A; landed some 2A.
Sigrid Young (TPE): Didn't catch any run throughs, but did see her land 2A and 3S and do a very fast back scratch spin.
Sara Twete (DEN): Saw her land a 2A-2T-2? combo and 3T-2T, 3S(fall).
Loretta Hamui (MEX): 2A, was working on 3S. "Capone" is her SP music.
Eva Lim (NED): SP music is Swan Lake.
Gracielle Jeanne Tan (PHI): Did a FS run thorough ["Reflections" from Mulan] and landed two 2A and other doubles.

Practice Group 2:
Maria-Elena Papasitiriou (GRE) did a SP run through [Afro Celt System Group & Secret Garden piece in middle]: 2A (no other jumps attempted), nice layback at end. Jumps landed in isolation: 2A, 3R, worked on 3F
Marta Olczak (POL): Didn't see much of her; music was Zorro?
Radka Bartova (SVK) did a run through [Forrest Gump]: 2R step out, 3T-1T, 1A... Think I saw her land a 3S in the afternoon practice.
Joshi Helgesson (SWE) did a SP run through [piano version of Pachabel's Canon]: 2A, 3S-2T (skipped loop). Afterwards landed a 3T and 3R, fell out of another 3R.
Martina Pfirter (SUI): Did a FS run through [Four Seasons]: a 3T, 2A-2T.
Chloe Depouilly (FRA): didn't see
Charlotte Gendreau (FRA): didn't see

Practice Group 3:
Miruku Matsushita (JPN) did a FS run through [jazzy music]: 3Z(wrong foot landing), 3T-2T-2R, 3S, 2A-2A seq., 3T(wrong foot landing), 3S(flip out/hand down), 2A.
Satsuki Muramoto (JPN) did a FS run through [Madame Butterfly]: 1R, 3S, 3T, 1S, 3T-2T, 2A, 2A-2T-2T.
Soo-Jin Kim (KOR): didn't see
Na-Hee Sin (KOR): Saw her land a 3S-2T-2R and a good 2A.
Victoria Muniz (PUR): didn't see
Jazmina Uzunovic (SRB): didn't see
Hounsh Munshi (IND): no show

Practice Group 4:

Mirai Nagasu (USA)
SP run through [I Got Rhythm]: 3Z-2T, split falling leaf down to forward lunge (cool sequence!) to 3R, Ina to 2A;
FS run through [Coppelia]: spiral sequence (Biellmann positions), 2A, Ina to 3S(2-fted), 3F, ["doll-like" moves], split jump
with her arms clasped behind her back, 3S-2R, 3Z-2T-2R, 3F-2T, 3Z. Great spins especially her ultra-flexible, deeply arched
layback to Biellmann-with-head-back! She worked on her 3lutz afterwards (this jump looked possibly underrotated a few times on
the landings in practice), popping a few, but also landing some, including the 3Z-2T-2R combo.

Alexe Gilles (USA)
FS run through [Oceanic by Vangelis]: 3F-2T, 2A, 1Z, 3R, 3T-2T-2R, 1Z, 3S-2T; landed 3Z in isolation afterwards.
SP run through [Windspirits]: missed 3Z combo (didn't see it myself), 3R(fall out), 2A. Worked on 3Z and 3R afterwards and able to land a few of each.

Angela Maxwell (USA)
FS run through [Finding Nemo]: 1A, 3Z(lean)-2T(bit of wrap), 3T-2T, 3R, 3S(blades clicked in the air?), [stopped], spreadeagle to 3S fall.
SP run through [Fever/Take Five]: 2A, 3T fall, 3R underrot.?/fall. I did see her land 3R, 3T-3T combos and at least one 3Z-3T in one or both practices.

Isabelle Heintges (GER)
SP run through [movie soundtrack?]: 2A, 2R, 3S-2T near the end. Saw her land a few 3F near the end of the morning practice. Posture is noticeably hunchy and I hope she can improve on it, along with her overall speed.
FS run through: 3S(turnout)-2T?, 3F fall, telegraphed entry into 3T(lean F on landing). Worked on 2A after run through and landed a few.

Charissa Tansomboon (THA) did a FS run through [Memories of a Geisha]: saw 2A turnout to 2T?, fall on 2A, other doubles landed.

MEN

Practice Group 1:

Artem Grigoriev (RUS)
SP run through [techno piece]: Left out jump combo, 3turns into 3R(not flowy), lots of energy in footwork, 2A.
Had some interesting moves (including a cantilever), nice extension on his forward and back camels, landed at least one 3Z-3T.

Akio Sasaki (JPN)
SP run through [Spanish flamenco]: 3Z fall, no steps into 2R, OSE to 2A. Worked on 3S without much success, landed a few 3Z.

Min-Seok Kim (KOR)
Little guy! FS run through [Gladiator at end]: 2A, 3S(tight), OSE-2A, 2Z, 2R, 2F-2T, 2A-2R-2R(tight), 3S fall.

Amar Mehta (IND)
FS run through [Zorro]: 2A(underrot/fall out), 3S(underrot./fall), 2Z with arm up, 2R, camel in layover position in a nicely held position, 3?S fall, 2F-2T-2R, ending combo spin included a flat pancake position and another nice layover camel.

Andrew Huertas (PUR)
FS ru through [Exodus]: 3T(hung on), 3Z fall, 1A, 3R step out, 2F-2T, 3T fall, 3Z fall.

Practice Group 2:

Andrei Rogozine (CAN)
SP run through [Zorba?]: 3S-3T(underrot.?), 2A
FS run through [Spartacus]: 3R(off-balance)-1T, 3Z(2-fted/underrot.), 3T, 3R turnout, 2A, 2T, 3S, OSE-2A-1T

Louis-Philippe Sirois (CAN)
SP run through [Fever]: skated through his jumps
FS run through [Tango] with stops: 2S-1T, 2Z, 1T, OSE to 1A. Saw him land a 3R later in practice.

Christopher Berneck (GER)
SP run through [Ladies in Lavendar]: 3T-3T(underrot./2-fted), 3R fall, 2A; finished after his music.

Franz Streubel (GER)
FS run through [music?]: Jumps I saw were 2A, 3S-2T, 3S, 2A fell out, 3T(off-balance).

Bela Papp (FIN)
SP run through [Godfather]: 3S fall, 2A, 2.5R(fall). Another little guy!

Practice Group 3:

Tommy Steenberg (USA)
SP run through [Le Corsaire ballet] with single jumps. Very nice Split falling leaf!
FS run through [Bolero, choreographed by ice dancer Pasquale Camerlengo] without jumps in first half (he's a clockwise rotator
and began his program with a counterclockwise circular step sequence), then landed 2A, 3Z, 3F in the second half. His final spin
combo ends with a headless scratch spin and a dramatic "fall to the ice" end pose.
Afterwards, he attempted several triple axels without success but I did see one good one landed. One 3Z-3T attempt looked
underrotated/2-fted on the 2nd jump. His skating looked very mature between the jumps -- lots of expression, ballet arms, and
full-body extension on his moves. I find him to be a very musical skater.

Austin Kanallakan (USA)
SP run through [Beethoven's Last Night] without jumps.
FS run through mostly just jumps and footwork: 3F-3T, no steps into 2R, 2A; saw him land one off-balance 3R in isolation afterwards.

Armin Mahbanoozadeh (USA)
SP run through [Symphonic Dances by Rachmaninoff]: 3Z-3T(flip/step out), 3R, 2A.
FS run through [Spartacus]: 3Z(off-balance)-3T, 2F, 2A-half loop-3R seq., 1A, 1Z, 2A, 3R. Landed a few 3Z afterwards.

Florent Amodio (FRA)
I was impressed by this guy who landed a 3A(hand down)-2T in his FS run though to Zorro. He stopped a few times after landing jumps (also saw a 3F-2T and a 3S) and executed a fast straightline footwork sequence with style and flair.

Romain Ponsart (FRA)
Yet another Zorro FS! He skated through a few jumps in his run through and I saw a 3S, 3T(fall), a nicely held OSE (outside spread eagler), and a Ina to 3S(?).

PAIRS

Bad news first: USA's Bianca Butler/Joseph Jacobsen fell in a lift in their second practice (smaller rink) and Bianca hurt her hip(?). She got off the ice and went off with Angela Nikodinov (coaching them here) while Joe continued to practice alone. Later, Bianca did get back on the ice and circled a few times before getting off again. I hope she'll be okay to skate the SP today. I hate witnessing falls like that!

Practice Group 1:

Sabina Imaikina/Andrei Novoselov (RUS) - quite a size difference between them
FS run through [Zorro]: 2twist, throw 2R, sbs 1A, spirals, decent unison on sbs spin, skated through lift and throw, 2F-half loop-2S? sequence (she did it but he didn't), mirror straightline footwork, weaving in and out, BIDS, pair spin, ended early.
After run through: hip star lift to one arm, throw 2T, throw 3T (toe axel-ish on takeoff), throw 3R, worked on sbs 2A (I think both landed the jump at least once).

Anastasia Khodkova/Pavel Sliusarenko (RUS)
FS run through [Bond medley]: 2twist with good distance covered across the ice, skated through sbs jump, throw 2R?, skated through a lift and sbs 2Z?, sbs spin, carry lift, throw 2S, skated through lift, straightline footwork, pair spin.
After run through: throw 3R (fell on one, landed one), throw 3S(fall), 2Z to 2F jump sequence, 2A (her attempts looked underrot.).

Sunyoto-Yang/Sulindro-Yang (TPE) coached by Peter Oppegard
SP? run through [Exodus]: 2twist, OSE (skated through planned 2A), throw 2T, lift to one hand, BIDS, pair spin.
After run through: nice catch by him on an underrot. 3twist, throw 3T (fall), worked on 2A.

Practice Group 2:

Carolyn MacCuish/Andrew Evans (CAN)
FS run through [Otonal]: pair spin (includes catchfoot to head position by her), lasso lift to star (one arm) and flip out exit,
sbs 2F, sbs spin, hip star lift to one arm into an adagio, throw 3S, circular footwork, spiral sequence, BODS with catchfoot entry and her head low to the ice.
After the run through: 2twist, 3twist?, worked on 2Z-2R combo.

Sarah McCoy/Aaron van Cleave (CAN) coached by David Pelletier
SP run through [Cirque du Soleil-like]: 2twist, throw 2T, sbs 1A, lift to one hand and set down,, pair spin,

Olivia Jones/Donald Jackson (CAN)
SP run through [cute music]: Fun beginning, they skated through a lift and the sbs jump, did throw 2T, sbs spin with decent unison, BIDS (he changes hands), pair spin with decent speed.
After the run through: Worked on 2A (both landed at least one), lift to star with him in a ISE (inside spread eagle), throw 2Z?

Practice Group 3:

Paetsch/Nuss (USA)
FS run through [Capone (jazzy)]: Skated through jumps and throws but did perform an easy-looking 3twist, impressive lift where she's facing up, lasso lift to one hand, he goes into an Ina (adagio), then he starts rotating again. They both show a lot of personality in their skating.
After the run through: Throw 3S (one sliding fall and one good one landed). Jessica landed at least 2 double axels in isolation.

Butler/Jacobsen (USA)
SP run through [Love Story]: skated through planned sbs 2A and throw jump, did 2twist, lasso lift to one hand with nice flow and exit/set down, spirals with nice, matching extension especially well done by him, sbs spin had pretty good unison, speed and nice positions. Both later worked on the 2A and I saw her land one

Byrne/Bartholomay (USA)
SP run through [Earth Dance]: Skipped some elements and did pair spin (including a reverse spin?), throw 2T, sbs 2R with arms above their heads, BIDS.

Sylvia rules!

It looks like Mirai Nagasu is on her game. Does a "split jump with arms clasped behind her back" look as cool as it sounds?

Sandra_persch

On the Ice
Thanks for the reports Sylvia.

I am glad to see Isabel Heintges got her 3F down now. She was the only german lady to try it at Nationals last year.
But you are right, her posture, speed and I think also expression need work. She so rarely made eye contact with the audience / judges last year and I hope they are working on that.

Sylvia. Thanks so much. I'm hoping the majority of GS members tune into this Free view tomorrow.

I think one has to realize that this is Juniors trying their best to be Seniors and it is difficult for them to do so. So that's why I look carefully at the over all skating and not the falls. If Tommy, however, stands up and doesn't fall, I'll be happy because he is a musical skater. Of course there is Mirai here, too!!!

Joe

distracted

Spectator
I just spoke with someone at ice-network who explained that On demand means archived not live. They will be available later for subscribers. I didn't ask when as it was clear he probably didn't know based on how long it took him to find out what on demand meant.

:frown::frown::frown: (my mac doesn't do smilies)

SailorGalaxia518

Record Breaker
Standings after Compulsory Dance:

1 Emily SAMUELSON / Evan BATES USA 30.76 16.58 14.18 5.70 5.65 5.65 5.65 0.00 #3
2 Pilar BOSLEY / John CORONA USA 27.21 15.46 11.75 4.70 4.65 4.75 4.70 0.00 #6

3 Joanna LENKO / Mitchell ISLAM CAN 26.72 14.44 12.28 5.05 4.75 4.80 5.05 0.00 #2
4 Charlene GUIGNARD / Guillaume PAULMIER FRA 25.45 14.58 10.87 4.45 4.20 4.45 4.30 0.00 #7
5 Maureen IBANEZ / Neil BROWN FRA 24.14 13.86 10.28 4.05 4.15 4.15 4.10 0.00 #5
6 Sara BAILEY / Kyle HERRING USA 24.07 13.60 10.47 4.25 4.10 4.10 4.30 0.00 #4
7 Kharis RALPH / Asher HILL CAN 19.76 10.92 8.84 3.60 3.45 3.30 3.80 0.00 #8
8 Anastasia GALYETA / Semen KAPLUN UKR 19.22 11.24 7.98 3.35 3.05 3.15 3.20 0.00 #1

What's with the USA and Dance? It's been a long time that Dance in the US was even mentioned except for Seniors. S&B were also good last season. I don't know Bosley and Corona and just 3+ points behind S&B. hmmm.

Joe

Surprising results for the U.S. guys. Relative unknown Armin Mahbanoozadeh is in second overall, with Austin Kanallakan in fourth overall. (Kanallakan made the JGF last year.)

Tommy Steenberg is way down in 9th, after an apparent fall. He had strong PCSs but only 19.14 in TEs. :cry:

london_calling

On the Ice
Olivia Jones and Donald Jackson (CAN) are leading after the short program. Jessica Paetsch and Jon Nuss are in 2nd. I'm a little surprised but I'm happy for them.

Cal Girl

Rinkside
Why are you surprised?? Just curious. Maybe because of the -1 deduction not taking them down further?

london_calling

On the Ice
Yes, I was surprised because of that. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place are so close I guess I thought a mistake would put them lower. Hopefully I'll be able to see their program.