JGP # 1 Lake Placid | Page 3 | Golden Skate

JGP # 1 Lake Placid

Cal Girl

Rinkside
I agree, but they tend to do higher level lifts, twist, and spins and get +'s on the GOE's that hold them up. Their throw 2toe has good lift but the sbs jump, 2x is just not landed with consistency yet by her. However I do not know if this was their deduction. They also have great expression and speed across the ice. Good for Paetsch/Nuss but I am truly surprised with Bianca and Joe. I hope they Rally in the Long.;)

Poor Tommy - He was second in the GP Final last year, I believe and then blew the US Nats. I hope he skates a good LP and pulls himself up a couple of notches. Hope he then does a winning Nats in St. Paul. if not, his days are numbered with the USFS.

Artem Grigoriev (Russia), will be a name to watch. I definitely want to see him tomorrow in the reruns and then the LP. What about the quad?

And the Japanese boy, Akio Sasaki. A star in the making?

Joe

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Day 1 article on Ice Network:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20070831&content_id=31953&vkey=ice_news

The webcast begins today at 11:30 am ET with the taped compulsory dance.

Very quick report...

Mirai Nagasu is practicing well as of yesterday (Friday). Her planned jumps in the SP are 3Z-2T, a cool entry of split falling leaf-forward lunge to 3R and 2A. Other SP run throughs that I've seen include the following planned jumps: Alexe Gilles (3Z-2T, 3R), Angela Maxwell (3T-3T, 3R), Miruku Matsushita (3S-2T, 2R), Satsuki Muramoto (3R, 3S-2T). Greece's Maria Papasotiriou has been practicing 3F and 3R but I don't know if she's putting either jump into her SP.

Trivia: Competitors here who have competed previously in U.S. qualifying competitions (Regionals/Sectionals/Juv.or Int. Nationals) are:
Victoria Muniz and Andrew Huertas (PUR), Amar Mehta (IND), Sigrid Young and Yang/Tang (TPE), Maria-Elena Papasotiriou (GRE), Charissa Tansomboon (THA), Gracielle Jeanne Tan (PHI).

I've typed out the Executed Elements list in the Men's SP and Pairs SP protocols (they should be published on the ISU site as soon as the competition ends on Sunday).

MEN'S SP (in finish order)

Artem Grigoriev RUS
3Lz+3T (+1.38 GOE average - beautifully vertical and high!); 3Lo(+); CCSp1; SlSt2; 2A; FSSp1; CiSt1; CCoSp1
He certainly competed at a higher level than he practiced!

Armin Mahbanoozadeh USA
3Lz(bit of a wild free leg)+2T; 3Lo; FSSp4; CiSt1; CCsp3; 2A; SlSt2; CCoSp3
A very solid performance and he even cracked a small smile toward the audience near the end.

Akio Sasaki JPN
3Lz+2T; 2Lo; FSSp1; SlSt2; 2A; CCSp2; CiSt1; CCoSp3
He really got into the character of his Flamenco program.

Austin Kanallakan USA
3F+3T(; 3Lo; 2A; CCSp1; CiSt2; FSSp1; SlSt1; CCoSp2
His jumps were a bit rough but he skated well to his dramatic music with his trademark intensity and arm flinging.

Christopher Berneck GER
3T+3T(2-fted); 3Lo; FFSp3; CiSt2; 2A; SlSt2; CCSp4; CCoSp3
Very lyrically skated performance.

Florent Amodio FRA
3A+2T; 2Lo; CCSp1; CCoSp1; SeSt1; 2A(fall); FSSp1; CiSt1
Music was "Somewhere in Time" and the Rachmaninoff piano concerto used in the movie and I thought he interpreted it well.

Andrei Rogozine CAN
3S+3T<(2-fted); 3Lo; FSSp3; 2A; CiSt2; CCSp2; SlSt1; CCoSp3

Romain Ponsart FRA
3F+2T; FSSp2; 3Lo(fell out); CiSt1; 2A; CCoSp2; SlSt1; CCSp1

Tommy Steenberg USA
2Lz+2T (landed 3Lz+3T(2-fted) in the 6-min. WU); 3Lo(fall); CCoSp3; CiSt2; 2A; CCSp3; SlSt1; FSSp1.
I thought his PCS marks could have been higher due to the overall high quality of skating.

Franz Streubel GER
3Lo, FSSp (no points - short on revs), 3S+2T, SlSt2, 2A, CCsp2, CiSt2, CCosp3

Louis-Philippe Sirois CAN
2A, 3F(flip out)+1T, FSSp1, 3Lo, CCSp1, StSt1, CiSt1, CCoSp1

Andrew Huertas PUR
3Lz+2T, 2A, FSSp1, 3Lo(fall), CiSt1, CCoSp3, SlSt1, CCSp1

Bela Papp FIN
3S(fall, no combo), 2A(fall out), FSSp1, SlSt1, CCsp3, 3Lo<(fall out, hands down), CiSt1, CCoSp2

Min-Seok Kim KOR
2Lo, 3S<(fell out)+1T, CCoSp4, SlSt1, 2A<(fall), CCSp2, CiSt1, FSSp3

Amar Mehta IND
FSSp4, 2A<(fall), 3S<(fall), CCSp2, CiSt1, 2Lo, StSt1, CCoSp3 (+1 from 2 judges)
Note: His sit spin with his leg tucked under and layover camel positions were very good. He received warm and sustained applause from the audience afterwards.

PAIRS SP (no time for detailed comments)

Olivia Jones/Donald Jackson CAN
2LzTw2,5TLi4, 2A (she hung on), 2TTh, FCCoSp4, SlSt1, BiDs3, PCoSp4

Jessica Rose Paetsch/Jon Nuss USA
2FTw2, 2TTh (with good flow out), 2A (he took off first and landed, she fell), 5TLi4 (excellent ice coverage/distance), CCoSp1, SlSt1, BiDS1, PCoSp4 (good speed maintained throughout)

Anastasia Khodkova/Pavel Sliusarenko RUS
2TTh, 2Lo, 2LzTw3, 5TLi3, FCCoSp2, SlSt1, BiDs1 (good speed and really held), PCoSp1 (maintained good speed throughout)

Carolyn MacCuish/Andrew Evans CAN
2LzTw2, 3TTh (hands down, not much distance), 2Lo, FCCoSp3, 5TLi4, CiSt1, BiDs1, PCoSp4

Sarah McCoy/Aaron van Cleave CAN
2LzTw3, 2TTh, 2A (she fell), 5TLi4, PCoSp2, FCCoSp3, CiSt1, BiDs1

Bianca Butler/Joseph Jacobsen USA
2A<(he fell, think she landed it), 2LzTw2, 5TLi3, 2TTh, PCoSp1, CiSt1, CCoSp2, BiDs1

Sabina Imaikina/Andrei Novoselov RUS
2A (she landed then fell), 3TTh (hands down), 2LzTw2, FCCoSp1, 5TLi2, SlSt1, BiDs1, PCoSp1

Amanda Sunyoto-Yang/Darryll Sulindro-Yang TPE
2LzTw1, 2A (she landed then fell), 2TTh, CCoSp1, 5TLi4, SlSt1, BiDs3 (lost speed when he switched arms), PCoSp1

Meg Byrne/Nathan Bartholomay USA
PCoSp1 (included reverse direction), 2LzTw1, 2TTh, CCoSp3, SlSt1, 2Lo (she fell), 5TLi (no points; didn't go up properly and had to come down early), BiDs1

Thanks again Sylvia. I see all the young men did a loop as their solo jump. Is this required this year?

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I'm curious about Jones/Jackson (CAN). I've never heard of them. Did they compete in juniors at last years Canadian nationals, or are they a new team? Either way, good for them.:clap: They have a decent lead, and I hope that they can skate clean in the long. I think MacCuish/Evans can move up as well with a decent FS. They're only .01 out of third I believe. My computer can't view icenetwork.com, so I'm curious to hear about some of the programs.

childfreegirl

Final Flight
I am loving the French teams! First an Indian theme and the second to the Dixie Chicks. Can two ODs be any more different? I espically loved the second team's skate. Usually I don't get caught up in a skater's performance, espically on tv. I'm going "here they go into a lift", etc. This one they just had a lot of fun and I loved it.:love::agree::agree:

childfreegirl

Final Flight
Welcome skatingfan! The answer to your question is around here somewhere. I'll try to hunt it up on a break or something.

netnuts

Match Penalty
According to http://www.unseenskaters.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5554 Jones/Jackson were sixth last year in Juniors at Canadian Nats. I knew I'd seen that somewhere.

I just watched pairs short on icenetwork. I think the scores were a bit higher. The level of the competition was sub par. Most teams could only manage th2T, maybe only one team landed a sbs 2A. All of them were slow. Don't believe the 1st place deserve 43 points.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
According to http://www.unseenskaters.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5554 Jones/Jackson were sixth last year in Juniors at Canadian Nats. I knew I'd seen that somewhere.

Thanks so much!:) If anyone is watched the OD on icenetwork.com, I'd really appreciate it if someone could mention if Lenko/Islam and Ralph/Hill skated clean. I know that Ralph/Hill had a stumble in the CD, and I hope they can come back strong with a good OD.

netnuts

Match Penalty
Thanks so much!:) If anyone is watched the OD on icenetwork.com, I'd really appreciate it if someone could mention if Lenko/Islam and Ralph/Hill skated clean. I know that Ralph/Hill had a stumble in the CD, and I hope they can come back strong with a good OD.

I am watching now. Why can't you watch? It's for free. I don't know any technical details of ice dancing. But can report scores.

netnuts

Match Penalty

BTW, Ralph/Hill are on. They are doing an African theme folk dance. They did well, scored 45 in OD and are currently 4th place out of 5.

Last edited:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
I am watching now. Why can't you watch? It's for free. I don't know any technical details of ice dancing. But can report scores.

I'm not a registered icenetwork.com member, and when I try to acess the video it tells me I have to sign in. Oh well.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
BTW, Ralph/Hill are on. They are doing an African theme folk dance. They did well, scored 45 in OD and are currently 4th place out of 5.

Thanks! Good for them. 45 is a pretty good score. I watched their FD at last year's Canadian championships on television and they are so talented.

Last edited: