American Idol Time | Golden Skate

American Idol Time

R

rgirl181

American Idol Time

They're baaack! But a whole new bunch. So far my favorite auditioner is the guy who screeched like a cat in heat, was told he should never sing again, and yet was convinced that he had both made the first cut AND that the judges wanted to hear him sing again. Can't remember his name.

Also loved the guy who sang "Like a Virgin," was told he was the worst singer in the world, and thought the judges were kidding. When asked if he liked to do anything else he said, "Dancing," which was second only to his singing in being really scary.

What I want to know is: How do these people function in real life?

Tonight (Wednesday) they reveal the 32 (or whatever) finalists. Okay, so the thread's open. Let's see if anyone can pick the winner out of the pack (10 wax lips--such a great prize, Heyang--to whomever gets it right).
Rgirl:cool:

M

mathman444

Re: American Idol Time

So far I'm putting my money on the dweeby redheaded guy in the funny clothes who looked liked Howdy Doody with a bad haircut. But he could actually sing.

What about the Simon's comment to the chubby girl who had a fine voice: We seem to have two kinds of people auditioning, those who can sing and those who have the looks. You can sing.

Mathman

S

SteveKmetko374

I haven't seen all the auditions, so I'll have to wait until the finalists do individual auditions to pick out my favorites. I liked the "what's that, it's pat" type character that ripped his/her pants to try to stand out. Then he/she started lecturing the judges when he/she was told that he/she couldn't sing.

A

Aloft02

This show (and a pint of Haagen-Daz 'Dulce de Leche' ice cream) are my guilty pleasures.

H

heyang

Gotta go find wax lips..

Anyway, the auditions were hysterical. The Like A Virgin kid was pathetic - I did feel bad for him. Also like the guy who sang 'stop the pain' and Simon told him it would if he stopped singing.

Hope some of the voices make it to the 32. It would be nice to recognize people's talents instead of just image.

What do you think of the armed services guy (sorry - just remember that he's based at Camp Pendleton)? He had a great voice. Apparently his mother put the word out that he would not be deployed until he was eliminated from Idol. TPTB quickly announced that his whole unit was not due to be deployed and that no special consideration was given to his Idol status. Since so many of the reservists are being deployed, I wonder .....

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">As a former voice teacher, let me tell you how easy it is for a person to be completely misguided about his or her talent. Unfortunately, teachers are not in a position to tell a student "Hey, you suck. Give it up." You teach these types so that they can improve and hopefully sing in church choir someday or for personal enjoyment. I do know, however, that there are plenty of charlatans out there telling students that they're the next Mariah Carey just to continue taking their money. Personally, I was always telling students just how difficult the music business is and that chances for that kind of success are extremely limited. You'd be surprised how many people ignore that kind of advice because they are SURE that THEY are that special talent just waiting to be discovered.</span>

L

Lcp88

I adore American Idol - Hope, like last time with Kelly and her amazing voice - that they succeed in finding a nobody with incredible talent.
Laura

R

rgirl181

Aloft--Arrrrrright, another Dulce de Leche fan!

Anyway, as of tonight, my first favorite is Frenchy, the zahftig black woman with thumbnail length hair that changes color with every audition and the great big voice. My other favorites are her male counterpart, the great big black guy with the great voice, and the 22-yr-old guy they told at his first audition looked too old ("Hercules! Hercules! Hercules!).

I also like this developing soap opera: I can only remember one of their names, Julie or Julia, I think, the one whose group-mates stood her up for the rehearsal and now there's a big rivalry between her and the beautiful blonde. Julia is nicer but the blonde may have a better voice.

Yes, AI is definitely a guilty pleasure, although I'm giving up the guilt this time and just going with the pleasure. It really does have it all: Talented people in different ways, big dreams on the line, a say-anything judge, the judgment of the public--great stuff. Also it seems that this year's group is head over heels more talented than last year's, so it should get very interesting.

Twinnie, I will be depending on you for your expert opinion. Please be Simon for GS:lol:
Rgirl

S

sk8cynic

I haven't spent so much time laughing in front of the tv since I don't know when..........

The Like a Virgin guy(?) had to be one of the freakiest....

Hands down worst for me was the gal at the end of one of last week's shows who was emitting some sort of whiny moan that turned out to be "Unchained Melody." Dear God, both the cats got up and left the room, my friend Carole leaned over and said,"Get me a gun so I can shoot myself," and I scrambled to dig the remote out from in between the cushions and pounded the mute button relentlessly until it responded. Och, my ears!

I like the geeky Howdy Doody guy; also, the blonde Tiffany-Amber Thiessen lookalike (I think her name is Kathleen Caldwell?) - she's the one in the catfight with Julia.

I also love Frenchie and the gal she did the duet with. Man, they have some seriously powerful voices! I'd be intimidated, too!

Also, what about the boxer chick? She was scary. 'I beg to DIFFA!" Yikes, didn't know they were looking for a dominatrix!

They did a decent job narrowing it down to 32.....they did let a couple of the yahoos in. There's also a new, improved version of Nikki - this one can actually sing!! Now if we can get her to lose the Flock of Seagulls hairdo.....

looks like I'll have my butt planted on the couch yet ANOTHER two nights a week. By the end of the season, it'll be flatter than Sasha's back! :p

P

Piel

Cynic,

That's whu you MUST have the ice cream to counteract the sofa's flattening effect on your butt.:lol:

RGirl,

We ARE talking about the creme caramel type flavor? I love it too but it is difficult to find it here.

Piel

M

mathman444

Another Frenchie-phile here. And seriously, why not? As Frenchie herself said, "I don't have long hair flowing down my back and I'm not a size two, but I the next American Idol." She can belt out a tune, she's got it goin' on, she can move that stuff -- go for it, girl!

As for my main man Howdy, he's the sleeper. Did you notice that he has already died his hair, lost the glasses and got some better clothes? I'm telling you, he's the man. Frenchie and Howdy will be the next Kelly and Justine.

I thought it was funny how they assigned people to different rooms, to tell two rooms thay they were moving on, and one room that they were going home. All you had to do was look around and see who was in the room with you to know your fate.

Mathman

R

rgirl181

Piel,
Yep, that's the stuff. Fortunately I live in a largely Latino neighborhood (and Jewish and Russian and musician) so the Haagen Dazs caramel ice cream with caramel swirl is in plentiful supply. They also sell this KILLER slightly caramel flavored stuff at the bodegas that I swear is just brown sugar, milk, and butter. They sell it in triangles (Steve, I bet you've seen it). Bite into one of those and, yeah, you could hit a perfect high C.

Anyway, the ice cream is essential for watching American Idol, and not only for Piel's butt-flattening countereffect. Gotta keep those blood sugar levels high to withstand the bad performances. And thanks Cynic for the heads up on keeping the remote handy and the batteries charged.

One hopeful that I was sorry got cut was the Twins (and not just for sentimental reasons, Twinnie:smokin: ). I thought it would have been interesting just to see how they fared and how the show would have dealt with "two as one." I hope they get some kind of deal though and a manager who could really do something with their voices. It was fascinating to hear, but I wasn't able to hear enough to know if they could be more than just a novelty act. Other sister acts have done well and twins who can sing like that should be able to do more than Doublemint gum commercials.

As I said, at this point I'm rooting for Frenchy and the other big black guy. I'm sick and tired of these blonde skinny pretty girls like Brittany and Christina even if they can sing. I want some BIG IDOLS this time, ones who look like they KNOW ice cream, not just lust after it. Too damn many pretty perfect people up there.
Rgirl

K

KwanFan1212

Having only seen the last like four eps of the first AI, I was very much looking foward to seeing this one from the first show to the end and I have not been disappointed at all. :D Some of those first people were SO bad though. Yikes! That Enrique wannabe was scary...:eek: And the Madonna wannabe was even worse...:eek: But they did make for entertaining TV I guess. I am SOOO rooting for Frenchie and I am glad to find others who like her too. She seems to also be getting a strong fan base all ready! :cool: So far, she is my absolute fave, but I am waiting for the smaller groups to really see about the rest of them. She made the largest impression on me though. That girl can sing! You go girl...:cool: Can't wait to see how it all unfolds! :D

J

JOHIO2

Hi all,

since i didn't watch the first AI, i only had other peoples take on it.

since my daughter wanted to be on the show - and went to two cities to get her audition and her "not what we're looking for," i felt i had to see what all the fuss was about.

my daughter felt much better after hearing that 50,000 people auditioned for the show. the only person she remembers from the long waits was the girl who wore ruby slippers, etc. and sang over the rainbow. since i can't watch on tuesdays, i haven't seen all the shows.

my least favorites: those guys who decided to blow off practice and go on the town and the girls who stood up Julia for rehersal. i can't believe that any of those people were truly serious about the commitment to the show or their careers.

the girls were probably worse - three blew off the fourth by not getting back and rehersing. that kind of selfishness gets me. then they had the nerve to be upset that julia didn't want to sing with them. real mature, girls.

guess i better tape the show where julia goes up against the blonde. voice or not, i'm rooting for julia!

R

rgirl181

Wow, Jo, that must have been something for your daughter to go through--and you. How old is she, if you don't mind my asking? What was the process like? Did she even get to sing in front of the judges? What cities did you go to? I know I'm being nosy and of course you don't have to say. I'm just curious about an insider's view of the whole thing.

I was annoyed at the party boys too. They said they had an inkling they were getting dumped anyway so that was their excuse to party, but I don't buy it. But I agree with you, the girls who blew off Julia--ugly stuff but sadly it's the real stuff. The only thing in this situation is that viewers saw what Blondie (can't recall her name) did to Julia, so viewers might hold a grudge, even if Blondie is a better singer. None of them have any reason to start their diva behavior--except for maybe Frenchie because, MAN, can she sing. But she seems very grounded. If you can't watch Tuesdays, we'll keep you informed:D But there's nothing like taping.
Rgirl

C

CB1AB2

I agree Frenchy has a great voice and I am with her 100%.
It was really sad that no one wanted to be teamed up with her and the other girl. But, they sure did show the others
I just hope that America can look past their size and look at the overall picture. =I am speaking from experience=I can't sing=but I could stand to loose a few pounds also.

cb

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:maroon;font-family:helvetica;font-size:x-small;">Okay, I missed it last time around (I used to teach on Tuesday nights--and boy, oh boy, I had students in my class that sang better than half these people) but now I'm psyched to see this phenomenon for myself (I saw the final audition episode last week). I don't understand why people were impressed with Trenyce--yikes, she's awful. All that constant attempt to sound gravelly--that grated on my nerves (I hate hearing voices riddled with tension).:p

Oh, heavens, that Bettis is even worse. What horrible vocals!

How did they make it this far? Do nerves get to them once the make the finals?

Okay, it's time to watch the rest of the show.</span>

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:navy;font-family:georgia;font-size:x-small;">Okay, it's over, and per request of my Twinnie, I will give my objective, voice teacher's opinion. Based on what I saw tonight, none of these people exhibited "star" power. Way too much use of the hands (my policy is: If a gesture doesn't mean anything, don't do it. Don't use your hands and force us to look at them for no reason.) Also, don't point at yourself when you sing "me" or "I" and don't point at body parts (we already know where your head is, your eyes are, etc.).

I liked Patrick. I thought he gave the most HONEST performance. I don't like gimmicks, vocal gymnastics that aren't borne of anything emotional (i.e. just for the sake of showing off). Above all, I appreciate sincerity. It's all about communication for me, from the heart. I thought Patrick had that quality to his performance.

Kimberly and Julia: Not impressed. Julia had that lip thing going on (kind of a constant snarl--gross, as my daughter called it). All of the ladies this evening displayed vocal talent, but so many people have raw talent but are unwilling or unable to let go emotionally. Raw talent is just not enough. I don't like "fake" performances.

Actually, I thought that out of the ladies, Meosha was the most sincere. Unfortunately, she was dull. Stick to medical school.

JD: Yawn.

Charles picked the Stevie Wonder song because he sounds EXACTLY like him. He's a karaoke kid.

I discussed the other two in my previous post.

If I absolutely HAD to vote for two, I'd vote for Patrick and... gee, I just can't do it! He's the only one I'd vote for. Okay, okay, no fair. I guess I'd have to vote for Julia because I think she has potential but she's going to have to dig deeply to find some realism to her performance (and she's going to have to do something about that lip thing).

If people would just THINK about the words they are singing and the emotion BEHIND those words, their performances would improve significantly. (Actually, this was something Charles did well.) Take Julia, for instance. Did you for one second believe she knew what the hell she was singing about? Were you able to see what was so intense about this "son of a preacher man" that he "moved" her? The answer is NO, because she herself was not seeing him. If SHE doesn't see him in her mind's eye, her audience will never see him. She has to get beyond the "I'm performing" and into the "I want to communicate" realm.

I know this is a long post but these things formed the foundation of everything I taught singers over the years, and they are very important aspects of what makes a long lasting star. A communicator (think Bette Midler) will last longer than a technically good singer with little communication skills. Of course it's great when both are there!</span>

M

mathman444

Was Trenyce really that bad? I thought that none of them could sing, and she did the best job of hiding it by choosing an upbeat song with a little pizzazz to it. Those slow ballads where you have to hold a note for a while -- well, it's pretty obvious then that you've got no voice. No?

I thought Kimberly was OK once she got going. No?

(Obviously I defer to your expertise, RG.)

Mathman

R

RealtorGal

<span style="color:green;font-family:helvetica;font-size:small;">It's not about expertise; it's about what moves YOU. Were you MOVED by any of these people?</span>