Recipee questions | Golden Skate

Recipee questions

G

GSK8

Recipee questions

I realize I could go surfing the net for these but would welcome suggestions..Granny?

1) A good artichoke dip
2) A good meatloaf (would like to have this one in a few hours before the boyfriend gets home) ;)

simple please.......I spent too many years in the Army.....lol....:rolleyes:

M

mathman444

Re: Recipee questions

GSK8, I don't have a recipe for you, but I would love to know what you did in the army and how you became interested in figure skating.

Mathman

A

Aloft02

I've got a good and easy artichoke dip recipe - mine's cold, (I'm not a fan of hot dips). Here goes:

In your food processor whip together an 8 oz. block of cream cheese with 1/2 cup of mayo and about 3 T. of the marinade from a small jar of marinated artichoke hearts. (How DO you spell mayonaise/ mayonnaise, Grgranny??)

Scoop it into a bowl and add the contents of a small can of chopped green chiles (look in the Mexican food section of your store) which you have drained. Chop the contents of the small jar of marinated artichoke hearts (removed from marinade) and 1 cup of shredded Monterey Jack cheese. Mix all together well, refrigerate, and YUMMY...it's even better the second day!

You can substitute a good shredded Parmesan for the jack cheese. Equally nummy.

Like trying to choose between John Zimmerman and Peter T.
THAT GOOD! :p

A

Aloft02

Re: Recipe questions

Oh!! .... And the leftover marinade from the jar of artichoke hearts?? Drain some canned garbanzo beans/chick peas, drop them into the jar and leave them in your refrigerator to marinate in it. These are delicious over sliced avocado as a little side salad on shredded lettuce! Easy and different.

Sorry, but any meatloaf I've ever made has been pretty darned boring.....'can't help you there, m'dear.

D

DORISPULASKI

artichoke dip so easy my daughter in law's mother can do it

III Version
Ingredients
1 (6.5 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped medium
1 cup mayonnaise (Cain's if you can get it)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (fresh if possible)
1 clove garlic, chopped very fine.

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In a medium bowl, mix together artichoke hearts, mayonnaise,
Parmesan and garlic. Scoop the mixture into a medium baking dish.
3 Bake in the preheated oven 15 minutes, or until lightly brown on top

Some people add Worcestershire and cayenne to taste, but
I wouldn't bother.

Good luck! dpp

D

DORISPULASKI

Not great culinary art, but it works - meatloaf

Meatloaf

1 pound good quality hamburger (no more than 10% fat),
preferably chuck or sirloin
4 slices good quality stale bread, crumbed
1 stalk of celery, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 green Bell pepper, diced
1 egg
3 Tbsp milk
salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
a little oregano-less than 1/4 tsp.
2 Tbsp Heinz ketchup

Heat oven to 350 F.

Put the meat, onions, green pepper, celery and crumbs in a very small baking pan (8"x8" or small loaf pan).
Break egg into small bowl. Add milk, ketchup and seasonings and mix with spoon, eggbeater or whisk tilll the egg is mixed in.
Add to the meat mixture and mix with your hands.
Dump the mixture into your pan, mold into a loaf shape,
and bake. Depending on your pan, oven and the amount of
meat, this takes from 45 min. to 60 min. The top of the meatloaf should be brown.

Do not fail to serve with mashed potatoes that you started by
peeling real potatoes.

dpp

G

GSK8

Thanks for the recipees, Doris and all :)

Math, in answer to your question, I've always loved figure skating. I joined the Army at the ripe age of 17 after HS and just recently retired. Due to a multitude of training injuries incurred while on duty, I can no longer skate. As for what I did, it varied upon what part of the world I was in. For the most part, I was usually playing in dirt in the woods and eating tree bark:p During the last 7-10 years of my servce, I served as a Platoon Sergeant.

G

Grgranny

Sorry, didn't see this until now. Didn't feel good today. I don't eat artichokes. No taste. I really don't have a recipe for meat loaf. But I do have lots of cookbooks. I just take the hamburger and dump whatever looks right. Sometimes I use crackers and sometimes I use oatmeal. I do always start with raw eggs and plenty of onion. Not fond of bell peppers either. Allergic to pepper. Usually, I dump in some celery seed, lots of ketchup.
Mayonnaise.

A

Aloft02

Thanks for the spellcheck, Grgranny!

I'm sorry you're under the weather today. Take care of yourself.

P

Piel

If you can find Friday's spinach artichoke dip at your grocery store (frozen) it can be doctored up with drained chopped artichoke hearts, garlic powder, freshley grated parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes to make a great dip that tastes exactly like the artichoke dip that's served at Olive garden restaurants.

Piel

J

JOHIO2

Sorry Sarge, er, Paula,

I'm with Grgranny. My meatloaf is ad lib. Whatever I've got and whatever I feel like putting in goes in. Hmmm, my spaghetti sauce tends to be that way too. I guess after cooking for over 40 years, I just know what works for me and these days, I'm the only one eating it! My son used to call me McGyver's Mom, cuz I was always experimenting.

Granny, you obviously aren't Italian! Artichokes are a pain in the ass to prepare fresh, but they are versitile and I think they're yummy. Maybe ya gotta have that Mediterranean blood to like them There must be some critical mass though, since my daughter hates them and my son likes them. Wonder what that percentage is?

G

Grgranny

OK, Paula, now we need to know the details. How did you fix it? How was it? And most of all, how did the date go?

G

GSK8

Well, there was no meatloaf. The landlord neglected to tell me the oven temperature on the stove was off by 150 degrees. So the meatloaf cooked on 500 degrees.....use your imagination:)

Thank God for Papa Johns!

G

Grgranny

Looks like the landlord should owe you a meatloaf & trimmings.

D

DORISPULASKI

Granny, ITA, 50 degrees off, yes, even 100 degrees low, but 150 high is way way too crazy.

Paula, Sorry it didn't turn out well.

dpp

G

Grgranny

Maybe it gives you time to practice and see which recipe you like. Of course, that might be a lot of meat loaf! :lol:
You can taste them and then freeze it and when you don't want to cook, just get one out of the freezer. When you freeze them, put them in small portions in plastic bags.
And it gives you an excuse to invite him or someone again.
My mother always told me I was devious. :cool:

G

GSK8

I just moved in recently and noticed that things were "burning" on the outside but not the inside. I bought an oven thermometer after the meatloaf incident (finding out it was 150 degree over). Boyfriend has it down to 75+ now :) Just got to do a little math before I cook.....ROFL!

D

DORISPULASKI

Paula, Glad the stove has been conquered by the boyfriend and the math book!

dpp

J

JOHIO2

Paula,

I agree with Doris. Thank God for boyfriends and math. Now that you've got the oven thermometer, ya gotta get the instant read thermometer. Takes the guesswork out of deciding when meat is "done."