Is Sasha popular in Europe? | Golden Skate

Is Sasha popular in Europe?

M

mathman444

Is Sasha popular in Europe?

According to the majority of our European GS regulars, the Michelle Kwan thing seems to be mostly an American phenomenon. That got me to wondering: Which American skaters have a substantial fan base in other countries? I have read that Sasha is popular in Russia, but is this because of her Ukrainian family background or because of some quality of her skating?

Mathman

mzheng

Record Breaker
Re: Is Sasha popular in Europe?

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Which American skaters have a substantial fan base in other countries?[/quote]

Michelle is very popular in China (include main land, Taiwan, Hongkong). Actually besides Peg, the FIRST figure skater they show (some exhibition number) back in 80s, Michelle is the next foreign skater (any country) they hyped on their TV and still hyping. Considering how big the population in China, you might safely say MK IS the most popular skater in the world. :) :) .

E

Excidra2001

I wouldn't say Sasha is popular all over Europe, but I know she's popular in Russia. If you don'tknow(;) , her coach is Tarasova, a famous Russian coach. When Sasha competes in Russia, she usually speaks to the Russian press in Russian. Granted that her Russian is not prefect but they do understand her. So in a way, the Russian people think she's one of their own. Maria Butyrskaya also said that as well.

D

dancer888

sasha

Well, I don't know if this counts for much, but I am from the UK and I LOVE Sasha!!!

MK-mania, IMO, is largely US based - or at least it doesn't stretch to the UK in the same extent to which it is seen in the US.:rolleyes:

L

Lucy25

The UK announcers seem to love Michelle. They couldn't get enough of her at last year's Worlds. She may not have geat popularity in Europe (which makes sense since she is hardly ever there!), but she has conquered Asia for sure.

E

Excidra2001

I don't think Michelle is popular in Europea as Lucy said she's hardly ever there. But she is the most recognized(if not one of them) female skater in America and we all know America is the heart of figure skating.

J

Joesitz

I think Sasha has many Jewish fans which makes her popularity universal. She also has a lot of USA fans which is just part of the mix in the USA. Kwan has a lot Asian fans but again she has a lot USA fans - ethnicity doesn't play a role with the love of art and sport. We just look for the best and go wow! wherver it comes from.

Joe

mzheng

Record Breaker

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>ethnicity doesn't play a role with the love of art and sport.[/quote]
ITA. My favorate skaters:
Kurt Browning, Alexie Yagudin, Todd E.
Michelle Kwan, Irina S. Sasha C. (Still reserved)
Elena&Anton.
Not that I don't like the other skaters. Some are just before my time (i.e. Peg, Janet, etc.); some are just too soon to dispare I did not have enough time to be a fan. My favorates are from all of the world. I don't know where I'm from :p . It jsut that with the limited time at hand I only want to spend the time to watch the BEST at the world.

K

Kara Bear

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>we all know America is the heart of figure skating. [/quote]

Gee, thats news to me.

P

Ptichka

I think Sasha is popular in Russia due to her skating. Many of my friends there say they fell in love with her at the Olympics. They did not know then that she was of Russian backgound, and she did not train with TT. And yes, those same friends usually says about Michelle that they can appreciate her skating, may be even admire her, but that she does not get to them in the same way as Sasha does. In fact some of them like Sasha a lot more than Irina :)

L

Lucy25

<strong>Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
we all know America is the heart of figure skating.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gee, thats news to me.</strong>

It certainly is where the money is.

J

Jaana

Yes, I have understood that Sasha Cohen is popular in Russia, but I think that is because of her beautiful looking skating style and not because she may speak Russian. Besides she has competed there, people have seen her skating there live.

In Finland Sasha is popular also, because she skated in Finlandia Trophy 2001 and got the skating fans and the audience really enthusiastic. We also saw something of that competition on TV, so even more people got to see her skating.

Marjaana

E

eltamina

dancer888 rolling eyes

"MK-mania, IMO, is largely US based - or at least it doesn't stretch to the UK in the same extent to which it is seen in the US :( "

I don't know about MK mania in USA, but many American fans sure appreciate Michelle's skating, and her consistency of securing world berths for the USA year after year. :) Really dancer888 do you appreciate your national champions like T&D who are so special, and was able to secure world berths for UK? :(

Mathman if you ask a question of whether any skater is popular in Europe/ USA/ Asia / N and S Poles, I bet you will get some yes/ no answers.

Michelle has fans in UK, and Russia, and I am sure Sasha has fans in Asia.

G

Germanice

Sasha?

Of course he is! He's one of the World's leading skaters after all! ;) ;) ;)

Anke

E

Excidra2001

re:

Lucy,

Thanx, that's what I was going to say.:D

Ptichka, Now we are not comparing Sasha's popularity in Russia to Irina's, are we. If so, we know who's going to win out on that one.hint......The Russian.;)

L

Lucy25

Re: Sasha and Irina

<strong>Lucy,

Thanx, that's what I was going to say.</strong>
I figured so. :)

D

DORISPULASKI

Re: Sasha and Irina

So should skaters take the 2 week interview level language course so that they can do some of the talking for themselves to interviewers?
dpp

D

dancer888

Eltamina

Eltamina:

"I don't know about MK mania in USA, but many American fans sure appreciate Michelle's skating, and her consistency of securing world berths for the USA year after year. Really dancer888 do you appreciate your national champions like T&D who are so special, and was able to secure world berths for UK? "

Of course I appreciate the UK champions, and I am not saying the US shouldn't appreciate and adore MK when I say:

"MK-mania, IMO, is largely US based - or at least it doesn't stretch to the UK in the same extent to which it is seen in the US"

I'm not sure what you were implying I was saying, but I simply meant that people aren't as crazy about MK in the UK as they are in the US, probably largely due to the fact that MK is American and so home supporters are likely to be more supportive. I'm not saying she doesn't have UK fans - I am sure she has loads and loads (me included) - I am just saying the "mania" is probably quieter!!

L

Lcp88

Re: Eltamina

I agree with the Michelle/Europe thing for the most part, espcially the fact that she really isn't over there much anymore.
I think with Sasha and Finlandia its more of a location thing. From what I've seen/heard, Finland doesn't have a huge skating fan base (although Worlds 99 were there and They have a strong group of ladies on the rise),and is a bit isolated from the rest of the skating world, so maybe when someone like Sasha comes along for the Finlandia Competition, its a big deal.
Laura