Youtube Videos | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Youtube Videos

eleonora.d

On the Ice

kajsa

Rinkside
This masculinity/femininity debate comes up every year in reference to Johnny. It's getting old and it's a pointless debate. Every one has a different idea about what is and isn't masculine and feminine and no one can impose their veiwpoint on any other.

Johnny tried pleasing others last season with that fake masculinity crap that proved to be a disaster for his skating. I like the fact that Johnny is Johnny again and skating for himself again. You can't please everyone. Those who are uncomfortable with him or dislike him for who he is...need to look in the mirror.

Johnny's special. I marvel at his soft knees that make him seem to float over the ice. I marvel at the speed and flow in his skating. I marvel at the powerful line that Johnny creates through his back and shoulders, legs and arms...he really takes the time to create beautiful pictures on the ice...there's nothing sloppy or thrown away in his skating. I marvel at his amazing posture and control. He seems aware of his posture during every second of his time out on the ice, so that no matter when you look at him and no matter where you are in the the arena, Johnny always gives everyone, everyseat in the house (and at home), the same sequence of powerful images. What other man bothers to stretch the free-leg fully in the landing of EVERY jump and then hold the position long enough for the eye to take it in and marvel at it?

I marvel at the effortlessness of his skating...the beauty of it...the serenity of it. I find his skating captivating. It's like he's skating on a frozen moonlit lake, which you happen to stumble across in the dark. There's something very private about his skating and it's such a privledge to be invited in.

I also totally agree with you!

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Did Shen/Zhao do an exhibition at Cup of China....and if so, WHO SAW IT...how did they look, what did they skate too??????????

Anyone know if they skated at COC, if they did is their a link?

Grete

Spectator
Well said, Twinsissv.
If I recall correctly, Daisuke Takahashi has done a variation of the layback spin ususlly done by the ladies. I thought it awesome! Correct me if I am wrong.

No one seems to have responded to you on this point, so I thought I would. You DO recall correctly, Tilak: Daisuke Takahashi does an excellent variation of the layback spin and I agree that it's awesome.

Grete

eleonora.d

On the Ice
No one seems to have responded to you on this point, so I thought I would. You DO recall correctly, Tilak: Daisuke Takahashi does an excellent variation of the layback spin and I agree that it's awesome.

Grete

when did he perform this so I can watch it.?

ChrisH

On the Ice
Great new costume for Caroline, and it looks like she's gone back to "You Raise Me Up" for her ex. Perhaps she thought a slow ballad would appeal more to a Chinese audience? I was starting to warm to "Born To Try".
A friend of the Zhangs' believes that the gala organizers requested "You Raise Me Up". Perhaps because it became a hit after Caroline's exhibition at the JGP Taipei last year. Hopefully we'll get to see "Born to Try" again at the GPF. :biggrin:

This exhibition of hers wasn't as good as the Nats version ...
Her version at junior Worlds is still the best, IMO. Caroline had the glow of a newly crowned champion and the encore let us see a slightly different side of her. I suspect that future versions of "Born to Try" will top them all, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSadv0tuj9s

---
I actually really like this exhibition, I feel like she's breathed new life into it since last season, and she gives it a little more substance and gravity, the lack of which made her skating look more juniorish before. :clap:
I thought her artistry was purer and more innocent last year. This exhibition was her best technically, but Caroline was also off a bit artistically all week at the Cup of China. I'd grade Caroline's overall performance at Skate America an A- and her performance here a B+.

Here's a good Yu-Na exhibition at the same age as Caroline:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QuzUDyhqWw

Big Deal

Final Flight
Watching the 2 videos about Yu-Na and Caroline.
Yu-Na was a better skater in that age, using more edges, which is the "heart" of figure skating. But Caroline is a far better ballet-dancer.
So they are both uniquely beautiful.

About "femininity": do you know, what was REALLY feminine on the youtube?
The way, how Lysacek left the Kiss& Cry. That was "Quennie".

ChrisH

On the Ice
Watching the 2 videos about Yu-Na and Caroline.
Yu-Na was a better skater in that age, using more edges, which is the "heart" of figure skating. But Caroline is a far better ballet-dancer.
So they are both uniquely beautiful.
Did you compare Caroline's Cup of China exhibition with Yu-Na's 2005 junior Worlds exhibition? I should have made it clear that those are the two performances with the matching ages. Caroline is now 14 years and 6 months old. Yu-Na was 14 years and 5 months at the time of the 2005 junior Worlds exhibition.

As for Weir, I rather that the criteria for the program components include flexibility and elegance, but only for the ladies. For the men, I prefer watching short track racing and speed skating. I do like Lambiel's spins, but I think that's due to how fast he spins rather than his positions. My family likes the lifts and throws of pairs skating ...