Zhang's GPF only if Ando wins NHK / Prediction on Who to Torino | Golden Skate

Zhang's GPF only if Ando wins NHK / Prediction on Who to Torino

sorcerer

Final Flight
Logically there are many possibilities, but here, let's think that the next medals for the following ladies are fixed.
Mao: Gold or Silver
Meissner: Silver or Gold
YuNaKim: Gold
These three go to Torino for sure, so three more slots.

Ando may medal again but the color unsure, sums up to 28 or 26 or 24 GP points.
Silver is enough for her. If Bronze, it'll depend on Meier's score at NHK.

Rochette meets Nakano again and if N beats R, Nakano goes to Torino with 26 points.
If R beats N, both is almost certain to go to Torino when Ando wins NHK.
If Kostner wins NHK, either one of R or N goes.

Kostner may medal again but the color unsure, sums up to 26 or 24 or 22 GP points.
If Gold she's in, which probably makes Zhang out because of tie-breaking scores.
If Silver, which probably means Ando's Gold, makes both Caros 24 points so Zhang gets a chance when Rochette is out.
If K is Silver and A is Bronze, Zhang won't come out of tie-break.

So it's only when Ando winning the NHK and Nakano beating Rochette both happen that Zhang will be in Torino.

Last edited:
I believe last year, 26 was the magic number. I believe, this year like last year will show 24 as several ties. If one of those numbers is a 15, that will do it.

bekalc

Record Breaker
I think it will be really difficult for Caroline to make it.....

What Caroline needs is for Nakano to beat out Joannie at Cup of Russia. Frankly, I think that's highly likely.

If Joannie beats out Nakano.. Then I think both girls will take Caroline out of the running ,because well Caroline's score isn't going to be that hard to overcome. They both have a 10 point lead on Caroline from Skate Canada. (And well Caroline's score from China, is hardly overwhelming.)

Then, there's Sarah Meier and Kostner. I think that it's totally likely that one of those girls will match Zhang's silver and bronze medal. And once again Zhang's scores aren't going to be that hard to beat.

Zhang really needs Wagner to beat Meier in Paris. Because as lovely a person as Kostner seems to be, you can kind of count on her to not do so well in the long at NHK.

feraina

Record Breaker
Top 3 definitely in: Asada, Kim, Meissner

Ando will probably get gold at NHK, very little competition, just an inconsistent Meier and an even more inconsistent Kostner. Actually, I expect Kostner to be out with 2 bronzes, and Meier to be on the bubble with S+B (after Mao & Kimmie @ TEB). Kostner is incredibly talented, but worse than Cohen when it comes to nerves.

If Nakano beats Rochette, the latter is out with 2 bronzes. If she loses to Rochette, then their two scores will tie with Caroline's, possibly along with Meier's, and total points will decide.

So, assuming the most likely scenario at the top -- Asada & Meissner split G & S @ TEB, Kim G @ CoR, Ando G @ NHK -- then the things to watch are:
1) does Meier get B @ TEB (if not, she's out; Wagner may surprise with 3/3)?
2) does Nakano beat Rochette @ CoR (if yes, Nakano in & Rochette out)?
3) which of Meier and Kostner gets bronze behind Ando (whoever 3rd is out)?

So the most promising scenario for Caroline to be in is if:
1) Wagner beats Meier for bronze @ TEB
2) Nakano beats Rochette for silver @ CoR
3) Kostner beats Meier for silver @ NHK

If any of these things not happen, then Caroline can only be in if all the other S+B skaters have low-scoring second skates.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
The scary fact is who knows about Ando? If Ando skates like she skated in Skate America, Meir could beat her for the gold in NHK. (Atlhough Ando did have a downgraded jump and no triple/triple so who knows. But Meier has beaten Ando before (it took a disasterous skate, but still it happened)

feraina

Record Breaker
All scores, both TES (b/c of downgrades and 'e' markings) and the PCS are depressed this year compared to past seasons, so I don't think past results are especially good predictors of upcoming results. For instance, Meier scored 111 at SA '06, her PB, and that contained a popped 2A and no 3/3, and so-so 'presentation.' I think Ando's SA '07 performance would beat that, even though for Ando that wasn't a great performance.

But it's true, who knows whether Ando @ NHK in front of an enthusiastic home audience (i.e. pressure, pressure, pressure) would skate even as well as at SA, she may have an off day like at the last GPF after two stellar GP events.

The results of the upcoming GP's should be very interesting.

If Rochette beats Nakano @ TEB, and both get high scores, then I think Caroline can forget about GPF this year.

ETA: though of course there's always the possibility of injuries/withdrawals, so that can always change things around.

Last edited:
I think the most likely lineup is Asada (1st & 1st), Kim (1st & 1st), Ando (1st & 2nd), Meissner (1st & 2nd), Nakano (2nd & 2nd).

Rochette's out, Meier gets third in France, then the whole thing comes down to a nailbiter at NHK. Whoever gets second between Meier and Kostner will probably edge OO for the last spot.

Looks like Caroline had bad luck in being at both the underrotation fest at Skate America and the wet ice fiasco (or whatever it was) at Cup of China.

ChrisH

On the Ice
I believe last year, 26 was the magic number. I believe, this year like last year will show 24 as several ties. If one of those numbers is a 15, that will do it.
The dispersing of the top skaters this year impacts that, though. Last year, the points were as follows: 28, 28, 26, 26, 26, 24; 24, 24, 24, 18, 16, etc. This year, since the very top skaters aren't going head-to-head as much, most likely they'll gobble up more of the points that the bubble skaters might have gotten. So this year, it'll likely be something like 30, 30, 28, 28, 26, 24; 24, 22, 22, etc. It's true, though, if Rochette wins her rematch against Nakano, they'll be another logjam at 24.

ChrisH

On the Ice
I think it will be really difficult for Caroline to make it.....
Perhaps, but of all the names you mention, which lady do you think most likely will be lucky number six? Things looked much worse for Caroline last week. Getting silver is no surprise, but I didn't imagine Kostner being 12.48 points and Suguri being 19.21 points behind Caroline.

What Caroline needs is for Nakano to beat out Joannie at Cup of Russia. Frankly, I think that's highly likely.
:yes:

Then, there's Sarah Meier and Kostner. I think that it's totally likely that one of those girls will match Zhang's silver and bronze medal. And once again Zhang's scores aren't going to be that hard to beat.
If Kostner gets the silver, she still needs at least 165.83 points to outscore Caroline. That would be a 21.97 point improvement over her Cup of China performance. Meier totaled 328.18 in her two events last year. That's not much more that Caroline's 309.69 and as mentioned, the scoring is tougher this year.

Zhang really needs Wagner to beat Meier in Paris. Because as lovely a person as Kostner seems to be, you can kind of count on her to not do so well in the long at NHK.
Suguri, Sebestyen, Czisny, Poykio, Sawada, and Liang can also be spoilers. There are some advantages to being at the front.

fairly4

Medalist
these are the 4 that i know will go
Mao Asada -wins both of her events
Yu-Na Kim-wins both of her events
Kimmie Meissner-win at Skate America most likely a 2nd at france
Miki Ando- 2nd at Skate America and mostly like a Win at NHK

the other two spots are up for grabs but more likely
Yukari Nakano (with two 2nds Skate Canada and Cup of Russia)
Carolina Kostner with a 3rd at Cup of China and a Second at NHK.

The reason for that is because they finished in the top 6 at worlds. With the skate Caroline Kostner had and she still finished on the podium with all her mistakes she had-leads me to believe they want her in the GPFinal. She should have been off the podium.

Would I like to see Caroline Zhang in the GPFinal. Yes. Because of the low scores they gave her-we will have to see.
the other skaters that have an outside shot are:

Caroline Zhang
Joannie Rochette-with a 3rd at Skate Canada/2nd at Cup of Russia(based on more overall points)i think
Akiko Suzuki
Sarah Meier
Fumie Suguri she has to win Cup of Russia .with enough points or based on the
of fact the 15 + 9=24. she would get in i think based on her win over 2nd & 3rd place 11+13=24.
Mira Leung with an outside shot. she would have to win France. which i can't see her winning over Mao, Kimmie and beating Sarah Meier.

sorcerer

Final Flight
New faces in the GPF isn't bad IMO.
(Below are merely supposations among the probable.)

I had imagined the following two cases of Zhang coming out of tie-break.
The point is, if you suppose Ando lower, the circumstance gets harder for Zhang.

For the remaining 3:

Ando_____SA__13__NHK_15 =28
Nakano___SC__13__CoR_13 =26
Zhang____SA__11__CoC_13 =24
Kostner__CoC_11__NHK_13 =24
Meier____TEB_11__NHK_11 =22
Rochette_SC__11__CoR_11 =22

Meier____TEB_11__NHK_13 =24
Kostner__CoC_11__NHK_11 =22

Feraina added a imaginary condition that would make Zhang surer, but should be revised as this to make it even surer.

Kostner__CoC_11__NHK_11 =22
Meier____TEB__9__NHK_13 =22

Wagner to beat Meier at TEB could also be as hard as Leung beating Meier.
Same goes to Sawada, though she has a high ISU ranking.

So the most promising scenario for Caroline to be in is if:
1) Wagner beats Meier for bronze @ TEB
2) Nakano beats Rochette for silver @ CoR
3) Kostner beats Meier for silver @ NHK

Last edited:
Hey Sorcerer - Where will you put Meissner? She already has 15 points. All she needs is a bronze to be in a 26 tie with the highest score breaking the tie. Do you not think this?

Zhang is with 24 and definitely heading to a tie.

Hughes is out.

Skaters who need a Win to be possibly included in the Finals: Rochette, Kostner

Skaters who will most likely be in Finals definitely if they gold or silver in their next GP: Meissner, Nakano, Asada, Kim, Ando,

Take the last 5 I listed as success stories, then we are looking at 1 more. Which one ? Zhang? Rochette? Kostner? Meier?, Sebestyen? IMO, we have to wait and see. A win by any of them will more than likely break any tie.

Keep your eyes on Meier in Japan. Her toughest competition is Ando and Kostner.

Joe

sorcerer

Final Flight
Hey Sorcerer - Where will you put Meissner? She already has 15 points. All she needs is a bronze to be in a 26 tie with the highest score breaking the tie. Do you not think this?

Like I wrote, it's "For the remaining 3" :)
Remember, I started by stating:
"Mao: Gold or Silver
"Meissner: Silver or Gold
"YuNaKim: Gold
"These three go to Torino for sure, so three more slots."

I still think 8 for GPF won't necessarily take away all the thrill out of the GP series.... but maybe only for ladies.

feraina

Record Breaker
Hey Sorcerer - Where will you put Meissner?

I think Sorcerer already counted Meissner among the top 3 definitely going (Asada, Kim, Meissner).

Skaters who need a Win to be possibly included in the Finals: Rochette, Kostner

Kostner needs a win because her CoC score is so low. Rochette only needs to beat Nakano with a decent score for the silver at TEB.

Meier is a total, total unknown. Has anyone seen _anything_ of her this season? Any clips, interviews?

Last edited:

emma

Record Breaker
Wow, so this is kind of a nail biter already....I can't wait to see how this shapes up!

bekalc

Record Breaker
Six. Eight is just a wish for the ladies discipline, right now.

Kypma

I like Caroline a lot better now.. But you know, what I have a feeling that even if Caroline makes the GPF, there are going to be skaters left off who had a lot better skates than she did.

For example Joannie Rochette's skate at Skate Canada was better, so was Ashleys' (But she got hit on PCS) and Ashley won't and Joannie likely won't make the GPF.

I think that having 6 makes it more exciting.

feraina

Record Breaker
Joannie might still make the GPF if she steps it up & Yukari falters a bit. Yukari isn't really known consistency either.

I think that even if Caroline makes GPF, she will face extremely stiff competition, and may place dead last! Of course it's no shame at all even to place 6th in the GPF with such a strong field, but it can't be a confidence boost either after Mao & Yu-na both won the GPF in their first senior year.