Canadian schedule | Golden Skate

Canadian schedule

Angela V

Rinkside
I am at a lost to find Canadian scheduling for Figure Skating. I can not watch on-line (my Bell internet is puny) and I have a basic digital cable package from Rogers. I accidently came across Skate Canada in the middle of the night on CBC because I was checking out my new HD channels (which I'm getting free for 8 months and by the way, Skate Canada looked awesome on it!). I went to their site and can't find any of the other Grand Prix events. Could only find the Canadian Championships. Tried looking at CTV and got to TSN. So is the Grand Prix going to be on TSN then? I don't get that channel. Is there any coverage on a USA station or is that all on a special sports channel too?

And I briefly saw on here that the Worlds hasn't been picked up by a Canadian network yet? What's that all about?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
CBC broadcast Skate Canada and they'll show Canadaian Nationals, but as of now there is no Canadian coverage of anyother competitions. Something to due with contract disputes with the ISU. If you get ESPN, they're showing the GP a week late, but it's better than nothing.

Tigger

Final Flight
As for Worlds, Speedy was asking for the type of money he would have gotten in the mid to late 90's, during the boom time. Not only that, but to get the figure skating contract, he was also telling CTV/TSN and the CBC they also had to air a bunch of speed skating events as well.

Considering the ratings for skating are way down and no one in Canada pays attention to speed skating unless the person watching is a speed skater, the families of the skaters and the real fans out there and the only time a casual viewer really watches speed skating is during an Olympic Games sad to say. Well, the respective heads of the networks here in Canada told Speedy he was dreaming and to come back when he comes to his senses.

Since we all know what the likelihood of that happening is, it's looking pretty bad for the chances of seeing Worlds here in Canada this season. How sad is that? :sad:

astimegoesby

On the Ice
Here's a link to an up-to-date Canadian skating TV schedule:
http://cf.geocities.com/patinagetv/horaire.html

As you can see, there aren't as many events listed there as we're used to seeing here in Canada. Does anyone know anything about the "Evasion" channel listed in this schedule? All I know about that channel is (a) it's the only Canadian channel which appears to be showing any GP events other than Skate Canada and (b) it's not available in my area. :cry:

If you get ESPN, they're showing the GP a week late, but it's better than nothing.

Unfortunately, I don't think too many Canadians can get ESPN without getting an illegal US satellite dish. :cry: I wish TSN would at least broadcast ESPN's US GP coverage like they do for virtually every other event originally broadcast on ESPN. I know it wouldn't be the same as having our own coverage, but it would at least be better than nothing at all.

I'm still hoping Speedy will come to his senses and be able to work out some kind of deal with either of the major Canadian networks like last time the Canadian Worlds broadcast contract expired, but my hopes aren't too high right now. :cry:

Angela V

Rinkside
Can't watch the channelchooser thing with Firefox. I allowed every script possible (expect global).

Sucks big time for Figure Skating fans like I who only get basic cable. I can't believe I may not even be able to watch Worlds!