COC - Ladies Long ponderings (Spoilers) | Golden Skate

COC - Ladies Long ponderings (Spoilers)

fairly4

Medalist
i know this is too early to start a thread. I just hope they don't keep caroline zhang pcs scores lows as low as they did in the short. I just hope they don't hold her down because she is young. i think the pcs might have been too low for caroline z and a bit high for everyone else. it seems they are nit-picking her just like they did michelle. i don't mean the systems. because they overlook a lot of maos mistakes when she jumped to senior and a few a yu na's .
it seems they want to keep the older skaters ahead even if they don't skate well. i know i am not being objective. but it is hard when they nail caroline z her first year out and not much of Yu-Na, and Mao.
kimmie didn't have the artistry, emily didn't have the artistry and technical.
alissa didn't have the technical and her artistry seem faked. bebe just tries too hard. it sounds like the older skaters got the benefit of doubtmore

I

bekalc

Record Breaker
i know this is too early to start a thread. I just hope they don't keep caroline zhang pcs scores lows as low as they did in the short. I just hope they don't hold her down because she is young. i think the pcs might have been too low for caroline z and a bit high for everyone else. it seems they are nit-picking her just like they did michelle. i don't mean the systems. because they overlook a lot of maos mistakes when she jumped to senior and a few a yu na's .
it seems they want to keep the older skaters ahead even if they don't skate well. i know i am not being objective. but it is hard when they nail caroline z her first year out and not much of Yu-Na, and Mao.
kimmie didn't have the artistry, emily didn't have the artistry and technical.
alissa didn't have the technical and her artistry seem faked. bebe just tries too hard. it sounds like the older skaters got the benefit of doubtmore

I

Um... Part of PCS is ice coverage, skating skills, and speed. Both Yu-na Kim and Mao in their Grand Prix debuts were better at these things than Caroline.. I also think both are better perfomers, but I can see how that's debatable.

Zhang has very pretty positions, but she really needs to work on her basic skating, if she wants high PC scores.

Besides, when your up against Carolina Kostner, and Yu-na Kim. Both who fly across the ice, skating as slow as molasses, really hurts you.

Last edited:
From what I've seen on youtube, Caroline's speed has improved over last year and she continues to keep with the music. Watching that Spanish/like number showed me that she is versatile.

YuNa, as much as I think of her as the best of this season's skaters, she showed me that she has trouble with the tempo of waltz, and that bugs me. Of course, speed without tempo of music will be obvious.

Carolina K, is much slower than previous seasons but that is to her advantage because I think her skating has become more pleasant to watch. But those long entrances without transitions into jumps bug me.

The above nitpicks are just my opinions and I do not predict and outcome of this competition.

Joe

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
there are already conspiracies surrounding Caroline? Good grief! She's not the only good skater out there...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I like Caroline but all this complaining about her scores as if she already should be dominating womens skating could turn me off her pretty quickly if it continues. She is an incredibly talented young skater, but she is still very young, and that she has things to work on are blatantly apparent at this point.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I like Caroline but all this complaining about her scores as if she already should be dominating womens skating could turn me off her pretty quickly if it continues. She is an incredibly talented young skater, but she is still very young, and that she has things to work on are blatantly apparent at this point.

I don't think it's fair to drop Caro from your favorites just because of some enthusiastic fans ...

bekalc

Record Breaker
Watching her on You tube Caroline did not look all that slow to me.

Well, even Caroline and her coach admitted she was slow, and she got a time deduction...!

YuNa, as much as I think of her as the best of this season's skaters, she showed me that she has trouble with the tempo of waltz, and that bugs me. Of course, speed without tempo of music will be obvious.

Joe did you watch the new clip of Yu-na's performance, because the link you first watched was two seconds off. I feel personally, it's kind of hard to completely skate to waltz by yourslef (skating), And I think the only time she was really trying to go waltz/waltz was the footwork, which she seemed to be be a bit off on.

Mafke

Medalist
I don't think it's fair to drop Caro from your favorites just because of some enthusiastic fans ...

Since when does Carolina Kostner have enthusiastic fans here?

The broader point is that it may not be 'fair' but it happens. I've never warmed to Asada due to the uber-fans wanting her to be able to skate in Turin and making intemperate remarks in that regard.

bekalc

Record Breaker
...tip for non Zhang fans - cool it a little bit. Let me be clear Mafke I am not talking about you. :)

Hey, I'm not starting threads talking about how Caroline was gifted, am I... And two years ago Mao fans didn't start threads talking about how Mao wasn't getting high enough PCS. Nor, did I start threads about that with Yu-na last year or even now.

I actually do think Zhang is talented, and I respect her as a competitor...But to complain about her PCS already, when there are some issues there? And she herself says she was slow? And the thing that annoys me about Caroline fans the most, is they fact that the insist on calling Caroline: Caro.

Carolina Kostner has been referred to as Caro for several years now, it's even a personal nickname for her (she has it on her website). I haven't heard it's a personal nickname of Caroline. And even if it's Caroline's personal nickname, there's no need for internet fans to use it.

Both Carolina/Caroline's names are confusing, I constantly have to check whose/who. But now, it's even more confusing because I dont know who Caro is any more...I'm sorry but I feel like Zhang fans could show some respect to Kostner fans.

Since Carolina had been around for a lot longer than Zhang, why can't Zhang fans come up with an original name for Zhang... It would make things so much easier on everyone, and it would create good will with everyone else. Right now, taking another nickname of a skater (like that skater doesn't even exist) and confusing everyone else, isn't creating goodwill.

Last edited:

fairly4

Medalist
thIs totally my opinion and non-objective. the reason i stated about carolines pcs scores is because of when mao and yu-na their pcs scores were higher and mistakes overlooked.
their is reasons for that 1) because mao was a year older.
2) because she won sr grand prix final over some dubious faults that was overlooked.
3) because most people and media was screaming for her to be in the 2006 Olympics.

Yu-Na Kim was given better priority because of 1) she beat Mao at the jr world.s
2) she was being pushed big-time by the korean federation.

Caroline zhang isn't getting the pcs scores because of 1) usfsa still wants to push kimme, emily above her even though they don't have the artistry.
2) politics right now--not to many people like americans/chinese
3) the usfsa ( i think) doesn't really want her up there because she showed the older skaters up at nat'ls last year and marshall last year.

I just goes to show certain upstart skaters get better treatment than they others.
As long it is your favorite, fan skater that get is you don't mind but any other you make valid reasons as to why the other skaters shouldn't. I want to make valid reason why caroline z should also.

You have all made very good and valid points. that are agreeable . i want to thank you for you opinions as well.

feraina

Record Breaker
Well, even Caroline and her coach admitted she was slow, and she got a time deduction...!

That's because she was trying to hold her spins/spirals long enough to get all the levels.

Also, Chinese culture preaches modesty. They always talk themselves down in public. Of course they'll say she was slow, since she can probably skate faster than that, but they would've found something to criticize no matter how it was or what she scored. P/T described their LP performance as "mediocre" in the press conference. Yes, they can do that program better, but using "mediocre" to describe your winning performance is not something that I can see an American or European couple doing. It's too bad that this kind of modesty, which is highly valued in Chinese culture, can come across as arrogant to others, like Caroline saying after her SP at SA that she can do "much better."

Andalusia

Final Flight
Both Carolina/Caroline's names are confusing, I constantly have to check whose/who. But now, it's even more confusing because I dont know who Caro is any more...I'm sorry but I feel like Zhang fans could show some respect to Kostner fans.

This post has certainly garnered the biggest WTF reaction I've ever had on these boards.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Perhaps Feraina, but she got a time deduction.

As for the USFSA not promoting Caroline, that's totally not true. Many of us think they regard her as the next big star..

For example, the rule is that only the Junior and novice national champions get to perform in the gala. When Mirai won Juniors, they quickly changed the rule, many think so Zhang could skate. A lot of people were commenting at the time, that it was very unfair to Mirai, because it was suppose to be her reward for winning.

At Marshall's Zhang was the only young person televised, Mirai and Wagner weren't. And as for not liking Chinese American skaters: What about Michelle Kwan?

As for the Korean federation pushing Yu-na.. I dont' think the Korean federation has a lot of power in figure skating, Yu-na was the first skater ever to even make the top 10 at worlds, and until Yu-na started winning on the Junior Circuit, and really (won Junior Worlds) the Korean federation could have cared less about Yu-na Kim. The Koreans have always been much more interested in short track skating, then figure skating. Now maybe their power in short track gives them so standing in the ISU, but in figure skating, l doubt it. If anything what I worry about for Yu-na is the fact that she might get short changed because she doesn't have a figure skating power backing her.

I think Caroline Zhang's nickname in Chinese is Yuan-Yuan.

About overzealous fans, personally, I love 'em.

If your favorite skater, male, female or team, doesn't make your heart sing, lift your soul to the heavens, send a tingle down your spine -- and phooey on all the rest -- you might as well be watching football. ;)

(JMO, LOL.)

BelleFilleYuna

On the Ice
OMG. Yuna was pushed big time by korean federation???:rofl::rofl::rofl:

No offense, but fairly4, you just made a joke of the year for me.

I must say Yuna was, is, never will be pushed by korean federation unless they decide to put all the anual budget on Yuna. That's how powerless they are when it comes to figure skating.

Can I say, let's not fabricate story that is totally bogus??

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
This post has certainly garnered the biggest WTF reaction I've ever had on these boards.

there names are confusing, For example, I accidently referred to Caroline as Carolina and vice a versa. (It's probably typing to fast and not thinking but I actually had to edit my post) but at least with the A/E difference I know who people are referring too. With the Caro thing, I have no idea who anyone's referring too.

And honestly, with the Caro thing.. A great example is what if Yu-na Kim fans started referring to Yu-na as "Kimmie." Don't you think Zhang fans that it would be inappropriate, well it's kind of the same concept.

Last edited: