Fumie Suguri to miss making Japans World team yet again | Golden Skate

Fumie Suguri to miss making Japans World team yet again

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
From what I have seen so far, although it is very early, there is nothing that indicates the pitcture from Japanese Nationals will change from last year. Despite her upset victory over Mao and Yu-Na at Worlds last year, Miki Ando looks quite likely to settle for runner up in Japanese Nationals yet again. Miki started her season sluggishly with a loss to Meissner at Skate America, while Mao debuted on the GP circuit also with performances that are sluggish for her own high standards but still posted a win at Skate Canada, and much higher point total then Miki managed at Skate America. Yukari Nakano looks much stronger then Fumie Suguri to start the season, and was very impressive at Skate Canada minus a fall in the short program. Fumie is not an early season skater, but there are many disturbing signs for her, for starters how much lower her PCS are then they used to be, last year they were lower, and now they are even lower and worringly low for her, even for an off competition. I really dont see Fumie surpassing Yukari at Japanese Nationals the way things look now, and I think you will see Fumie miss Worlds a 2nd straight year.

krenseby

Final Flight
From what I have seen so far, although it is very early, there is nothing that indicates the pitcture from Japanese Nationals will change from last year. Despite her upset victory over Mao and Yu-Na at Worlds last year, Miki Ando looks quite likely to settle for runner up in Japanese Nationals yet again. Miki started her season sluggishly with a loss to Meissner at Skate America, while Mao debuted on the GP circuit also with performances that are sluggish for her own high standards but still posted a win at Skate Canada, and much higher point total then Miki managed at Skate America. Yukari Nakano looks much stronger then Fumie Suguri to start the season, and was very impressive at Skate Canada minus a fall in the short program. Fumie is not an early season skater, but there are many disturbing signs for her, for starters how much lower her PCS are then they used to be, last year they were lower, and now they are even lower and worringly low for her, even for an off competition. I really dont see Fumie surpassing Yukari at Japanese Nationals the way things look now, and I think you will see Fumie miss Worlds a 2nd straight year.

First of all, Miki is seriously out of shape. During Skate America, she looked unsteady on her feet and she wouldn't do triple-triples, settling for triple-double combinations instead. I am not sure what has gone wrong, but she's not conditioned at this point to be a serious competitor. I would say that in the shape she is, she can only contend for a bronze medal at best and has no chances at a silver if she continues at this place.

As for Fumie Suguri, the Japanese ladies are the strongest in the whole world as all three came in the top 5. I like Fumie but making the Japanese podium these days is impossible for anyone who doesn't skate a loaded 7-triple program with a triple-triple built in. There is nothing to be done about this situation. If Fumie were competing in some other country, she'd have a great chance of making it to Worlds, but in Japan it just ain't gonna happen.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Maybe, Fumie is just starting slow this season. Think MK in the '02/'03 season --her FS was horrible at SA (where she stepped in when Sarah Hughes got hurt), but by Nats and Worlds, she was much better.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Miki injured her shoulder again and was skating somewhat tentatively at Skate America as a result. I wouldn't make any late-season projections based on her performance at Reading, and the scores of ALL the ladies were low because of the nitpicking caller.

I'd say that Mao's skating was more off (for her) than Miki's was, and it's probably because she's had a pretty big growth spurt. She doesn't seem to have a reliable 3A right now, and she's being slammed with UR and edge deductions. Again, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions as to how the rest of the season will shape up.

Let's see how Suguri does at CoR before writing the rest of her season off.

It's still the early season, folks, let's give the skaters a bit of a break!

kandidy

Final Flight
Looking at the situation right now, it seems so that she will lose her worlds seat to Nakano.

kikakiks

On the Ice
Fumie is not an early season skater, but there are many disturbing signs for her, for starters how much lower her PCS are then they used to be, last year they were lower, and now they are even lower and worringly low for her, even for an off competition.

Anyone has a complete/expert explanation on why her pcs have gone down so badly? She looked tentative to me, but I would like to know some others' impressions.
Are maybe the judges suggesting her "it's time to quit"? (though I hope it's not the case)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Looking at the situation right now, it seems so that she will lose her worlds seat to Nakano.

Suguri didn't have the Worlds seat last season: Nakano did, so it's Nakano's world seat, isn't it?

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I would not count on Fumie being at worlds, but then again you never know. don't forget that fumie beat Mao and Shizuka Arakawa and Nakano for the Japanese title in 2006.

Winnipeg

Final Flight
First of all, Miki is seriously out of shape. During Skate America, she looked unsteady on her feet and she wouldn't do triple-triples, settling for triple-double combinations instead. I am not sure what has gone wrong, but she's not conditioned at this point to be a serious competitor. I would say that in the shape she is, she can only contend for a bronze medal at best and has no chances at a silver if she continues at this place.

As for Fumie Suguri, the Japanese ladies are the strongest in the whole world as all three came in the top 5. I like Fumie but making the Japanese podium these days is impossible for anyone who doesn't skate a loaded 7-triple program with a triple-triple built in. There is nothing to be done about this situation. If Fumie were competing in some other country, she'd have a great chance of making it to Worlds, but in Japan it just ain't gonna happen.

I have always liked Fumie's skating. I wish she had a Canadian link and could try out for the Canadian World team......................:)

Kwanford Wife

Record Breaker
Y'all are pretty harsh and in some cases simply not fair... we've had what? two competitions and the fans cannot be content to let the season play itself out...

Last year I just about OD'ed on how Mao was a lock for the world championship, Miki would be lucky to fight for bronze over pewter and that the Japanese ladies were "unbeatable" and a lot of that proved to untrue...

Just wait and see... You might be plesantly surprised with how things play themselves out...

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Y'all are pretty harsh and in some cases simply not fair... we've had what? two competitions and the fans cannot be content to let the season play itself out...

Last year I just about OD'ed on how Mao was a lock for the world championship, Miki would be lucky to fight for bronze over pewter and that the Japanese ladies were "unbeatable" and a lot of that proved to untrue...

Just wait and see... You might be plesantly surprised with how things play themselves out...

The thing with Fumie though isnt just judging her on a bad first event of the season, particularly since she is not an early season skater anyway. It is that her first event is a continuation of some trends. Basically her attempted technical content going further downhill, her PCS even for bad skates going to depths they have never sunk before, things like that. It is a continuation of what was happening last season, and now going to even further extremes.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
Basically her attempted technical content going further downhill, her PCS even for bad skates going to depths they have never sunk before, things like that. It is a continuation of what was happening last season, and now going to even further extremes.

In 2005-2006, which was arguably Fumie's best season, she placed 8th at Skate Canada. She did receive slightly higher PCS there, but this year's CoC was stingy with the PCS anyways so that really doesn't mean much. I don't think she'll make the Japanese team, but I think it would be due to Nakano's continued improvement rather than deterioration in her own skating.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lots of luck with Fumie finding a Pairs partner. The Japanese team of Takahashi / Tran consists of Narumi Takahashi and Mervin Tran, who I believe is Vietnamese. When Yuko Kawaguchi skated for Japan, she had a Russian partner (Markuntsov). Japanese men don't seem interested in Pairs skating.

Are maybe the judges suggesting her "it's time to quit"? (though I hope it's not the case)
I hope that's not the case, too.

In fact, I don't really see why the ISU judges would have any stake in the matter at all. Why would a judge care whether Fumie retired or not?

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I hope that's not the case, too.

In fact, I don't really see why the ISU judges would have any stake in the matter at all. Why would a judge care whether Fumie retired or not?

Well many of us casual fans have on time said "it is really time for so and so to retire." Why should we care as well? I guess judges can be fans too just like us, they are human, and they are certainly far from biased or emotionaly involved in the skating and its cast of characters I am sure.

Fozzie Bear

On the Ice
nervous

She's switched coaches this season. She's training in Moscow now with Zhulin and Igor Pashkevitch instead of with Nobuo Sato. I'm worried because last time she switched (to Vasiliev in 2004/2005) she had very rough outings and almost didn't make the world team. She did better at the end of the season when she went back to Sato. She always seemed so comfortable with him.

On the plus side, her spins (except the layback) look much better so far. The spirals as well. I'm not sure I like the long program though.

But I guess it's too early to judge how the new coaching will work out based on one GP.

ks777

Record Breaker
Maybe fumie should find a partner and began to skate pairs

Maybe she can pair up with the japanese skater, Ryo Shibata, who placed last at cup of china. Maybe Fumie can throw him around and becomes the first woman to lift and throw a man.