Predictions?

Ladies podium: Future, Rascal, and OO.

World team: Ashley (4th), Kimmie (5th), Emily (6th). :biggrin:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Ladies podium: Future, Rascal, and OO.

World team: Ashley (4th), Kimmie (5th), Emily (6th). :biggrin:

LOL!
Although I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley ends up on the podium, because I think the USFSA would like to send the National champ to worlds LOL...

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
you are so odd :laugh:

in all seriousness... between dance and mens I'm going to need some serious support... if Johnny and Evan both skate the way we all know they can I'm going to be a ball of nerves

and considering Melissa and Denis' fall earlier this year I'm gonna freak during every one of their lifts

so I predict my having a nervous breakdown while I'm in St. Paul (kwanfan1212 you have been warned!)

Last edited:
LOL!
Although I wouldn't be surprised if Ashley ends up on the podium, because I think the USFSA would like to send the National champ to worlds LOL...
Well, it's high hopes for Ashley. She will be more suited to backing Kimmie up for a 3rd skater to be in Los Angeles when the 2009 US Nats comes around. Is there any other skater age-elligible to be in this US Nats and going to 2008 Worlds besides Hughes?

However, will Ashley make the 2009 Nats podium with Kimmie, Caroline and Mirai around and eligible? We can only wait and see her progress.

Joe

bekalc

Record Breaker
Well, it's high hopes for Ashley. She will be more suited to backing Kimmie up for a 3rd skater to be in Los Angeles when the 2009 US Nats comes around. Is there any other skater age-elligible to be in this US Nats and going to 2008 Worlds besides Hughes?

However, will Ashley make the 2009 Nats podium with Kimmie, Caroline and Mirai around and eligible? We can only wait and see her progress.

Joe

I agree... BUT considering reports say that Meissner is having real difficulty with her jumps, it's totally possible that Wagner will out skate her. One could seriously argue that Meissner should not have had silver in Paris. I have no clue if Wagner will be in LA or not next year... But well right now both Caroline and Mirai seem to be having issues with clean longs/hitting all their triples....

So who knows? It won't be the first time that the lesser hyped skater ends up out lasting the more hyped one.

And Caroline has enjoyed her little run in Seniors this year without fear. Next year, she will have the nerves as a grown up lady.

feraina

Record Breaker
My predictions for Ladies at this point:
1. Kimmie Meissner
2. Caroline Zhang
3. Emily Hughes
4. Ashley Wagner
5. Mirai Nagasu
6. Rachael Flatt

I think Mirai and Rachael are both enormously talented, but since National's will be the first time they put out a senior program they will make minor mistakes (Rachael skated in senior national's last year, but has been skating junior programs this whole season, and not entirely consistent with them either). Also the judges might be influenced by the more well-known reputation of the first four -- even though Caroline and Ashley both just entered seniors this year, they should have earned some respect from their GP medals.

I somehow have a feeling though that Emily will be held up for a bronze medal over Ashley...

Nigel

On the Ice
1. Kimmie Meissner
2. Caroline Zhang
3. Emily Hughes
4. Ashley Wagner
5. Mirai Nagasu
6. Rachael Flatt

I think Mirai and Rachael are both enormously talented, but since National's will be the first time they put out a senior program they will make minor mistakes (Rachael skated in senior national's last year, but has been skating junior programs this whole season, and not entirely consistent with them either). Also the judges might be influenced by the more well-known reputation of the first four -- even though Caroline and Ashley both just entered seniors this year, they should have earned some respect from their GP medals.

I somehow have a feeling though that Emily will be held up for a bronze medal over Ashley...

Flatt competed as a senior in several summer club competitions, including Liberty back in July where she won her group by more than 15 points IIRC with a clean freeskate. (the senior ladies do not have a final rnd at Liberty), as well as a clean freeskate at her JGP in Vienna. She is a fairly consistent skater for 15 yrs of age.

Edited on 12/16: Flatt also skated two clean programs in the JGPF with 3/3 in both programs (though the 3T on the back half of the lutz combo in the short was downgraded). Flatt landed 7 clean triples in the freeskate.

The only difference between the Jr and Sr long is one additional spin, plus the additional "filler" time.

So, I would suspect Nagasu and Flatt to be well trained by Natls. And, definitely in the mix.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
1. Kimmie Meissner
2. Caroline Zhang
3. Emily Hughes
4. Ashley Wagner
5. Mirai Nagasu
6. Rachael Flatt

I don't know about that.. I actually think a clean Mirai Nagasu, should beat a clean Caroline Zhang, if you were to go by just skating. Mirai's basic skating is a lot better than Caroline Zhang's.. And Mirai has better jumping technique to, which should factor into GOE.
At junior worlds, Mirai's jumps were just a big shaky, and I think the judges didn't know her enough to really reward her for her amazing basic skating skills. No way should Zhang ever get higher Skating Skills marks than Mirai.

I was really big on Mirai, at one time but she's been having issues rotating her triples. I'm really curious to see how Mirai skates at the JGPF this week... If Mirai skates well there and puts up a huge score, I think she'll get respect from the USFSA judges. (At least I hope)

Still, I think that if Mirai can just overcome her growth spurt, and rotate her jumps better, I wouldn't be surprised if next year in the GP, a clean Mirai starts surpassing a clean Zhang. Because I think skating skills wise, Mirai can really compete with the best.

Last edited:

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
1. Kimmie Meissner
2. Mirai Nagasu
3. Caroline Zhang
4. Ashley Wagner
5. Rachael Flatt
6. Emily Hughes
7. Alissa Czisny
8. Beatrisa Liang

World team- Meissner, Wagner, Hughes

I'm sure it will be Kimmie. Probably Zhang, and maybe Mirai or Ashley, and since Zhang and Mirai can not go to Worlds, it will be Meissner, Wagner, and not sure but Chrissie Hughs or Angela Maxwell.

There is a battle here for the Ladies.

Joe

ElFuego

Rinkside
I'm sure it will be Kimmie. Probably Zhang, and maybe Mirai or Ashley, and since Zhang and Mirai can not go to Worlds, it will be Meissner, Wagner, and not sure but Chrissie Hughs or Angela Maxwell.

There is a battle here for the Ladies.

Joe

Angela Maxwell is competing junior this season (and is too young to go to senior worlds... she turned 15 after July 1).

whuzzup22

Spectator
Here's my prediction:

Ladies
1. Kimmie Meissner
2. Ashley Wagner
3. Caroline Zhang
4. Mirai Nagasu
5. Rachael Flatt
6. Emily Hughes
7. Alissa Czisny
8. Bebe Liang
World Team: Meissner, Wagner, Hughes

Men
1. Evan Lysacek
2. Johnny Weir
3. Jeremy Abbott
4. Stephen Carriere
5. Ryan Bradley

Dance
1. Belbin/Agosto
2. Davis/White
3. Gregory/Petukhov

Pairs
?
(Too many injured pairs at this point to decide). McLaughlin/Brubaker for silver or better

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know how that goes... most of my 'predictions' end up as hopes.

feraina

Record Breaker
I don't know about that.. I actually think a clean Mirai Nagasu, should beat a clean Caroline Zhang, if you were to go by just skating.

I also tend to think Mirai's jumps are higher/bigger and her general skater faster and more energetic. I personally prefer Caroline because of her musicality, but that's pretty subjective. I don't know exactly what judges are looking at, but in their competitive history, Mirai only beat Caroline once (I remember reports that Mirai usually placed just behind Caroline at all their regional competitions too), at Junior National's, and there Caroline fell twice and ended up with a total that was only 3.5 points behind Mirai. At JW, they both skated clean and Caroline won by 5.5 points -- Caroline had higher PCS and TES, though the TES difference was smaller. This year, they both haven't really been skating to the best of their abilities yet with their new programs. But I don't get the feeling that Mirai is outpacing Caroline on the PCS or TES front; if anything Caroline is gaining an advantage in TES with her 3/3's. Plus Mirai will have the disadvantage of putting out a senior LP for the very first time, which she will not have had much time to get into her muscle memory (also, her LP, while extremely cute, might come across as "juniorish" to the senior judges). So I think on the whole I will give Caroline the edge.

oleada

Record Breaker
I agree with bek, but I see your points, Feraina. Mirai has been practicing a triple-triple as well, so maybe she'll try it by US Nationals. I think Mirai has better speed, flow, basics and jump technique than Caroline. If they both skate clean, I'll have Mirai above her, just because her technique is better and her presentation is just as good. Caroline might get low GOE for her jumps, though - but it's Nationals, so who knows what will happen. IMO, Mirai is also more naturally musical than Caroline. I can't wait for it, personally.

Last edited: