COR ladies SP | Page 4 | Golden Skate

COR ladies SP

kikakiks

On the Ice
Why do you say that? Even if Carolina Kostner gets silver, how likely is she to score hgher than 165.84? She has never skated a clean LP, IIRC. She won her '05 WC bronze on the strength of a strong qualifying skate. She doubled a flip, flipped out of two 3S's there. And in her other 'good' LP, in the '07 Euros, she doubled her loop. And both times she was skating under little pressure (not expected to medal in '05, and on the comeback trail in '07 Euros). Now that she knows she has to get at least a silver, and with a high score too, I think she has a huge hill to climb given her bronze (143.86) at CoC.

She's not likely to skate a clean lp, but if she skates a decent one her scores are not that bad...An average short for her is around 60, a medium clean (for her) long is around 114 (the 05 and 07 ones you were mentioning above. She can outscore zhang with a 105 long (consider with a 4 triple long she often scored 110...so it's not mission impossible).
i still think she is too inconsistent, but she just needs an average to bland skate to win

feraina

Record Breaker
The average is 161.60. Kostner's career average score in the GPs is 138.01. In contrast, her average score for the championships (European, World, and Olympic) is 161.90. The average score of Kostner's Euro and World results earlier this year is 171.86.

Wow, those are some statistics! It seems like she skates a LOT worse in the GP's than in the ISU championships -- she's lucky then that she got the very last GP possible. I think Kostner is a total unknown. She might skate an almost-clean competition and score over 165, or she might bomb like she did at CoC.

Her clean short at CoC was 60.82, and her faulty long was only 83.02! Probably she was quite lucky to land with a bronze, since she only managed TWO triples in the LP (3S & 3Lp).

It just depends on which Carolina she brings to NHK. We will have to see.

Last edited:

bekalc

Record Breaker
Fumie's short was a lot better than her last one, but I think Kira deserved to be ahead of her, based on how I so both girls perform. Kira was very good.

emma

Record Breaker
I love Yu-Na's skating and this sp is lovely. It's light, and appears effortless and she really has lovely facial expressions and other ways of connecting with the audience that just make me feel so pleased to watch her.

I have a question though - not to sound nit-picky, but can better knee stretch and turn-out be learned or is that genetic/morphological? I know Kwan didn't have a good knee turn out in her layback, but somehow, I notice Yu-Na's somewhat awkward leg positions in more than just the lay-back and was just wondering if that is something one can improve.

feraina

Record Breaker
but can better knee stretch and turn-out be learned or is that genetic/morphological?

Yes, it's called ballet lessons. :p Yu-na's lovely and her jumps are feather-light, but she needs to take some ballet lessons to get rid of that sloppy feel to her skating.

I have a question though - not to sound nit-picky, but can better knee stretch and turn-out be learned or is that genetic/morphological? I know Kwan didn't have a good knee turn out in her layback, but somehow, I notice Yu-Na's somewhat awkward leg positions in more than just the lay-back and was just wondering if that is something one can improve.
I don't think one needs ballet lessons because the barre work or warm-up work is pretty much in all Dance classes including tap.

A book on ballet barre would show how to get the stretch, knee turnout, and toe pointing. Remember students of ballet, do these exercises at least once a day, six days a week, so it doesn't come without work.

Joe

emma

Record Breaker
Thanks for the replies - it sort of fascinates me what skaters and their teams work on and what they don't --- I love to be a fly on the wall as they make decisions about training routines.

nadster

Final Flight
Yes, it's called ballet lessons. :p Yu-na's lovely and her jumps are feather-light, but she needs to take some ballet lessons to get rid of that sloppy feel to her skating.

I would say that ballet lessons would maximize the turn-out and stretch potential on anyone.

However, some people would never get great turn out and stretch no matter how many ballet lessons they take because their body structure doesn't allow it. Even the shape of your bones has an effect on the stretch potential.

So in other words it takes both hard work( ie the ballet lessons) and a decent body structure to achieve that stretch and turn out.

I would say that ballet lessons would maximize the turn-out and stretch potential on anyone.

However, some people would never get great turn out and stretch no matter how many ballet lessons they take because their body structure doesn't allow it. Even the shape of your bones has an effect on the stretch potential.

So in other words it takes both hard work( ie the ballet lessons) and a decent body structure to achieve that stretch and turn out.
Age does play a role in making one's body acrobatically flexible. However, I think one can get a good line as best one can with every day exercises.

Joe

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I am supried that Kiira KORPI is ahead of Fumie!!! Not fair.

Like I said on another thread I dont sense much genorosity to Fumie with the judges. I wouldnt be surprised if they are giving him a subtle message it is time to move on. She is the only one of her generation that was already 24+ after Turin still trying to stay in.

Lumi

On the Ice
Kiira is really good skater, and had mutch more polish than Fumie. She has high level spins (Fumie often dosen't have), big and beautiful jumps (when they are on) and good presentation with spunk. Tonight she deserved to be ahead of Fumie.

mizu_iro

Final Flight
I think Fumie should be fairly clean in the long, while Kiira has yet to put together a strong LP...we'll see how their PCS scores pan out in that scenario. I disagree that Fumie is less polished than Kiira, but I don't really like her Take Five program.

pohatta

On the Ice
Kiira and Fumie are in a similar position, both are struggling to make their national team. With Pöykiö and Vähämaa already scoring over 160 this season and Lepistö having the potential to do the same, Korpi has to get a new PB to secure a place in the Europeans.

ChrisH

On the Ice
It just depends on which Carolina she brings to NHK. We will have to see.
Well, let's just say I'll be cheering for Korpi and to a lesser extent Suguri in tomorrow's FS. I like Nakano, but ... ;)

Wow, those are some statistics! It seems like she skates a LOT worse in the GP's than in the ISU championships -- she's lucky then that she got the very last GP possible.
I don't think it'll surprise you that the stats reveal that Meissner and Suguri are also slow starters, although not as notoriously as Carolina. Meissner was only 1.45 points away from silver and bronze medals rather than her gold and silver medals.

Lumi

On the Ice
Well, I still think Kiira has more polish, but maybe the judges are just sending a message that it is better to do lutz and loop in SP than flip and flutz... ;)

passion

On the Ice
I love Yu-Na's skating and this sp is lovely. It's light, and appears effortless and she really has lovely facial expressions and other ways of connecting with the audience that just make me feel so pleased to watch her.

Lovely skater. She's definitely one of my favourites, although like you I also noticed how Yu Na can improve her turn out and toe point/stretch in her spiral. It was very apparent there. I think turnout is genetic, depends on your bone structure, but I think one can always try to work on it.

passion

On the Ice
Joannie better watch out at nationals. She cannot afford to make mistakes because Mira is nipping at her heels.

oxade21

Match Penalty
Loved TAT tearing apart and bad mouthing Russian female skaters:rofl:
She called Martenova FAT, and said when she gains 1 kilo , she can't jump.:chorus:

R.D.

Record Breaker
not too shocking, but I thought Rochette would be higher! Well, there's still 66% of the competition left to go.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Joannie better watch out at nationals. She cannot afford to make mistakes because Mira is nipping at her heels.

At least she doesn't have the situation where Mira made the GPF and she didn't. Jeff Buttle may find himself out of the GPF while Patrick Chan is in. Jeff is 15 points out of the silver medal position and the likelihood of his making up that deficit in the FS is not good at all. He will be lucky to move up to bronze, but that won't give him a ticket to the GPF.

Incidentally, Mira got a higher score at TEB than she did at SA, but it didn't translate to a higher placement. She was fifth in both competitions, and her PCS scores at TEB were not noticeably higher than her SA scores.

5.25 4.90 5.15 5.05 5.30 SA SP
5.20 4.85 5.35 5.30 5.20 TEB SP

5.75 5.40 5.55 5.75 5.50 SA FS
5.85 5.35 5.60 5.55 5.60 TEB FS

I am sure that Skate Canada is aware that Mira is still pretty far from being a medal threat internationally. Whatever Joannie's shortcomings, she still gets a lot more respect from the ISU judges than Mira does.