Stars On Ice Review | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stars On Ice Review

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I agree Nan. We all know who your favorite skater is :love: :love:, as you wipe the drool when that favorite skater comes onto the ice.

I am not much of a show skater, I love the comps better but I have enjoyed the SOI shows. I would love to go to this one because of D&L, S&Z, and of course Sasha but they are not coming my way. Oh well!!!!

Dee

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I went to earlier ones on 1996/1997 and 1998/1999. they were great.
we finally broke down and went a year ago--boring ,dud.

different time, different cast, different direction...

the 90s were the best time for the show... so far... it was a really close knit family - probably due to all of the tragedy they survived with losing Rob McCaul in 92 and Sergei Grinkov in 95... they were a different group of people too... you had Scott and Kurt for class clowns and Paul and Brian for straightmen... Kristi was the girl next door... Rosalynn was... trying too hard ;)

you had Katia the china doll, and so yeah it was just the best time for them...

now skating interest is down and you can't get anyone to go pro (once they retire they seem to leave the sport) so it's just not the same... I say support the crew anyway... you can't get any better that Scott's Stars :)

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
I am not going -why because of your reviews. you have your favorite skaters and build it up and say its great, when i go it is a bore, and a dude.
i even won tickets to an SOI Show and got in for the practice and seeing how they skated and interacted
I was bored stiff, the only Cool part was watching that. they show itself was a dude . i would have wasted my money

I went to earlier ones on 1996/1997 and 1998/1999. they were great.
we finally broke down and went a year ago--boring ,dud.

I'm with you on this point. While I love Kurt and Todd, I'm not that big of a fan of the other skaters, especially Cohen, and it's just not worth giving up something else in order to fit the show into my budget. Actually, there are very few skaters that I would pay to see ~ Kurt, Todd, Michelle, Arakawa, S&Z are the few skaters I would pay to see. Call me a tight-wad or whatever, but that's my story and I'm sticking by it! ;) And please, don't ask me why I don't like Cohen ~ I just don't and I'm tired of people asking me why and acting like I'm a horrible person for not liking her. To each his own. :yes:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I am so happy that sasha went back to anytime, anywhere. I could watch her skate to that song forever.

sillylionlove

Medalist
I have been going to Stars on Ice for many years and will be going this year. Granted nothing is a fun as going to competitions, seeing practices and interacting with skaters and coaches. However, last year I was like..Michael Weiss...why did they add him...he was not one of my favorite skaters. But after watching him skate live and in person and I was very impressed and became a fan. I think that when going to a show you need to keep an open mind. Their might not be skaters that you are fans of or even know much about but seeing them in a show as compared to a comp is sometimes much better. Michael is a great show skater. As is Jennifer Robinson.

fairly4

Medalist
i didn't go to plan on having a bad time. i was looking forward to it.

IT WAS DULL & A DUD. they were bad. BECAUSE of your reviews , we was thinking and expecting it to be good. but it was BAD.
than the skaters only skated, they didn't perform.(project themselves to the audience). they kept it to themselve.
SOI is going downhill since 1998. we went before , were the skaters perform for the audience and didn't expect the audience to perform for them.
but than this lot is all arrogant and divash.

they were several people who we talk to the next day that was upset at how bad it was. we expected more from the skaters.
they made us in the audience feel -thank you for your money and nothing else.

ETA - i am elaborating more.
i told everyone i knew about it and it would be good. they asked me how i knew and i said i went on the internet and some figure skating fans thought it would be good to see. so they went, and than when i got to work -they was disappointed that i would recommend a bad show like that. they wouldnt go again.
because it seem when the skaters skated that night. they skated like they didn't want to be their , but only showed up because of their contract (money) or because they had too.
a few were okay with it, but the show wasn't great.

Last edited by a moderator:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
i am elaborating more.
i told everyone i knew about it and it would be good. they asked me how i knew and i said i went on the internet and some figure skating fans thought it would be good to see. so they went, and than when i got to work -they was disappointed that i would recommend a bad show like that. they wouldnt go again.
because it seem when the skaters skated that night. they skated like they didn't want to be their , but only showed up because of their contract (money) or because they had too.

So I guess you won't be going to SOI anytime soon. We get it.

R.D.

Record Breaker
i am elaborating more.

you're making me nervous :sheesh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
RD - don't worry about it... SOI will be good...

it's more than Champions on Ice which was just exhibition programs ala after an event... it's a complete entertainment package... more people are satisfied than not.

R.D.

Record Breaker
RD - don't worry about it... SOI will be good...

it's more than Champions on Ice which was just exhibition programs ala after an event... it's a complete entertainment package... more people are satisfied than not.

it better be...because I went all out here...I splurged and got ICE LEVEL seats :yes: if you do it once, better do it in style :cool:

KwanFan1212

Joey Votto Fangirl
Final Flight
it better be...because I went all out here...I splurged and got ICE LEVEL seats :yes: if you do it once, better do it in style :cool:

Ice level seats are great! You'll have a great time. And to answer a question you asked earlier in this thread, you can take a camera to the event but just make sure your flash is off and you don't have one of those huge lenses because they might not let you in if your lens is too big. Ice seats sometimes have issues with the lighting too so just know that you might have to adjust your settings from time to time with the lights and I think you'll get some great shots. :agree:

And I'm actually going to the show in Cincy (with mom), Cleveland and Pittsburgh (with friends), and Columbus (with discoduck) this year. I did this last year and I ended up seeing all the guest stars at one point or another which was really fun. I can't seem to leave any part of my state out lately, LOL :laugh:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
if you do have an SLR I think the lens cannot be larger than a 70mm... IIRC... which is different than the USFSA which is 200mm

Scott tattled on my dad in 99 and we had to put our camera away (ok so Scott hammed it up for our camera and that brought attention to it and security was poopy lol)

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Have faith, RD. There are lots of excellent skaters in the show. It's neat to see them do their solo performances, but you also get to see them interact with each other a number of times during the show. :party: :rofl:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
SOI is going downhill since 1998. we went before , were the skaters perform for the audience and didn't expect the audience to perform for them.
but than this lot is all arrogant and divash.

Wow! You either saw a VERY off night, or went to a much different show than I did. Are you sure you are not confusing Stars on Ice with Champions on Ice, because that's the way I feel about many of those skaters.

I've been going to see live skating shows since the Ice Capades. For a while in the mid-90's, I stopped going due to financial concerns (and I will admit that SOI's "GOLD" tour was a low point in the tour's history), but I've been to multiple shows every year since 2002 and although that year seemed to have a slow start due to organizational issues, the skaters always gave everything they had to the audience each night I attended.

No one should expect the same cast for over 20 years. These skaters aren't Kristi and Scott and Paul, they are a new generation, but they are every bit as talented and entertaining and committed to giving the audience a great experience. Change happens, if you can't accept that, dig out your old tapes and watch those, but don't discredit the recent or current cast as second-rate....they aren't.

Red Dog, you will love the ice seats. I took my husband to a show last year and sat on the ice. He is a total non-fan of skating and HE walked out of the arena with a grin on his face like a two-year-old holding a bag of candy and gushed for days about the experience. Don't let anyone discourage you. Go and enjoy, I know I will!! :agree:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am shocked at you Nan, I made a comment about you in another post (up aways from here) and you didn't comment....what's up??? You're usually on top of things.

I would never get on ice seats again. I would rather sit up a little especially if I am taking pics. I guess to each his own.

Dee

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
I am shocked at you Nan, I made a comment about you in another post (up aways from here) and you didn't comment....what's up??? You're usually on top of things.
Dee

I'm trying to be a good girl, Dee. You don't make it easy!! :p :laugh: