Convince me! | Golden Skate

Convince me!

dutchherder

Final Flight
Okay, this is the ultimate no-bashing thread. You must submit the name of a skater whose skating you've never particularly cared for, BUT you may only submit the name-- no icky comments. Everyone else's job is to convince that person that that skater is actually great and wonderful. Let's see how sharp your persuasive skills are! I'll start:

Fumie Suguri

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
Okay, this is the ultimate no-bashing thread. You must submit the name of a skater whose skating you've never particularly cared for, BUT you may only submit the name-- no icky comments. Everyone else's job is to convince that person that that skater is actually great and wonderful. Let's see how sharp your persuasive skills are! I'll start:

Fumie Suguri

May I submit 20-30 names?

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist

Fumie Suguri

I'm not knowledgeable enough to discuss her her jump technique, and this attempt reflects my own high value on skaters's off-ice behavior. I think that her continuing on in this sport shows a rare degree of courage and love for skating. Fumie is also a great sportswoman and all around nice person (loaning Sasha her tights in SLC) Beautiful to watch (IMO).

Next skater:

Joannie Rochette

Last edited:

R.D.

Record Breaker

Let's see..does it have to be a current (i.e. competing right now) skater? If it is, I submit Mao Asada.

If it can be ANY skater, I'll submit Irina Slutskaya.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty

Irina is one of the greatest women jumpers in history, she was the first women to do a triple lutz-triple toe, triple salchow-triple loop-double toe, and triple salchow-triple loop. She whos amazing longevity in the sport at a time many leave the sport as teenage one-hit wonders or teenage burnouts. Not only does she have this amazing longevity but her career has more extreme up and downs then that other skating with such amazing longevity, Michelle Kwan (relatively speaking) which while it could be seen as a knock on her, it also makes it arguably even more exciting to follow her career and see what twist and turn it will make next, and how she can defy the odds yet again. She isnt the most polished skater but she is exciting because of her speed, huge jumps, fast spins, intricate 1-foot footwork she often does, and command and presence on the ice, and passion that she skates with. Her love of skating and her love of skating for the audience shines through each time if you watch closely. There that was my attempt. ;)

R.D.

Record Breaker
Irina is one of the greatest women jumpers in history, she was the first women to do a triple lutz-triple toe, triple salchow-triple loop-double toe, and triple salchow-triple loop. She whos amazing longevity in the sport at a time many leave the sport as teenage one-hit wonders or teenage burnouts. Not only does she have this amazing longevity but her career has more extreme up and downs then that other skating with such amazing longevity, Michelle Kwan (relatively speaking) which while it could be seen as a knock on her, it also makes it arguably even more exciting to follow her career and see what twist and turn it will make next, and how she can defy the odds yet again. She isnt the most polished skater but she is exciting because of her speed, huge jumps, fast spins, intricate 1-foot footwork she often does, and command and presence on the ice, and passion that she skates with. Her love of skating and her love of skating for the audience shines through each time if you watch closely. There that was my attempt. ;)

nice effort ;) and I agree that her career has had both the highest of highs and lowest of lows. She has also accomplished a lot and I consider her up there with Kwan as one of the current "greats". However, there's just something about her that I don't like, and I don't think even the most persuasive argument otherwise will be able to change my mind on that.

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Joannie has a unique movement style. Her movement is very fluid and natural seeming, she uses gravity in her movements, making her movements more like that of a modern dancer as oposed to a ballet dancer like the majority of skaters. She also looks athletic and strong, her jumps, when on, are big, powerful and exciting even when she strokes she gives the impression of effortless power. She can execute difficult choreography with style and maturity. While she dosn't have the greatest flexibility the positions she hits always have a good line. She is also an entertaining preformer who has a great connection to music.

I'll probably get alot of responces for this one and I'll probably never change my mind but:
Michelle Kwan

Bennett

Record Breaker
Let's see..does it have to be a current (i.e. competing right now) skater? If it is, I submit Mao Asada.

Love this thread!

I somehow thought that Red Dog said Mai Asada; but I just noticed that he/she actually noted Mao, after writing all the following about MAI Asada. Sorry about my confusion! But pls let me leave as it is.

Mai is one of the most successful elite skaters in Japan and ranked 25th? in the World. Although her achievement may not match her younger sister, Mao, just think how many of us can rank as high as 25th in the World in our own field. I must say that she has a very respectable career as a competitive figure skater.

Mai used to be a triple axel jumper. Although her jumps declined after bodily changes and many injuries, she is now working hard to regain her jumping ability under training with world-famous coaches. Mai is also known for her presentation skills. Her balletic moves skated to classical music can be described as feminine, mature, and graceful.

Mai is also known for her beauty. She has long legs, long arms, feminine figure, and a pretty face. Her beauty is apparent not only on ice, but also off ice where she had a career as a fashion model and an actress.

Off ice, Mai seems to be a loving, lovable young lady. She heartily supports and admires her younger sister's accomplishments. Their family love seems to be far above any negative speculations that assume that Mai must be jealous of her sister. Her humility and consideration are very pleasant to see.

But Mai is not just watching her sister's accomplishments. She is also determined and working hard to improve her own skating so that they can get on the podium together some day. I heartily wish her all the best at the NHK Torophy.

Last edited:

Wrlmy

Medalist
Joannie is one of few skaters who proved a female skater doesn't need a ballerina body type to be ceautiful on the ice. She has done many innovative numbers, and although some of them were not very well received by judges, she certainly brought diversity to ladies figure skating filled with many, many unsuccessful efforts to be ice princess/ballerinas. She also sacrificed two years, which is tremendously long time in amatuer skating career, to correct her lutz, which is more than I can say about any other flutzers out there.

My choice: Kimmie Meissner

Last edited:

dutchherder

Final Flight
Evan Lysacek is a driven, ambitious competitor. Many skaters would like to rest on their laurels and not push themselves, but Evan is always trying to add something to his arsenal. If one were to look at his programs from two years ago, he or she would see that Evan has improved DRAMATICALLY in that amount of time (remember his Grease number?). I have always admired the speed of his spins and how well they are centered, and his height and long legs give him a very dramatic look on the ice, which he has used to his advantage. Though he is able to pull off fiery numbers to classical skating standards, he can also do fun numbers (his "how to pick music" program is a good example). He also can do good programs to pop music ("Boston"). His costumes are elegant, and he never wears anything that looks as though it was coated in glue and swung around a craft store. He and Johnny Weir (whom I also love) are delicious foils for each other, and have made U.S. men's skating something worth watching again (which I don't think has been the case since Todd Eldredge turned pro). Now that I have seen him live, I can also say that his footwork sequences are impressively fast and interesting to watch. He's a good, all-around, bring-home-the-bacon kind of skater who isn't afraid to work hard. Plus, he has big brown eyes and a pretty impressive six-pack. ;)

georgia

On the Ice
Michelle Kwan
I appreciate her but I don't care for her skating.

Last edited:

laceup

On the Ice

Irina always showed such passion for her skating. Her speed, hieght and power were incredible, her spins flawless and her rosy cheeks and beautiful smile filled arenas!!!

I have so many I'd like to name. I'll go with one female - Mira Leung and one male - Johnny Weird:rofl:!!!

georgia

On the Ice
speed of his spins
Debbie Story, his first coach, who also coached Cadavy, Bobek, Gregory, my kid and many other very successful skaters, was/is a great coach.
She taught these kids how to spin, and do the seat spin low on their knee.

georgia

On the Ice
speed of his spins
Debbie Story, Evan's his first coach, who also coached Cadavy, Bobek, Gregory, my kid and many other very successful skaters, was/is a great coach.
She taught these kids how to spin, and do the seat spin low on their knee.

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Joannie Rochette is both a technitian and an artist. That's what makes her so good. She can jump, but she's also light and graceful on the ice despite not having a typically balletic body. She also has a great performance q1uality. When she's skating, especially when you are watching her live, she commands your attention right away, and then holds it until the end. She's got the wow factor.

My pick: Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice