Johnny Weir Journal Update ! | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir Journal Update !

flying camel

Medalist
I am happy he is happy. He had a great season. How nice that he wants to be national and world champion. He doesn't feel he really needs the quad. It must not be consistent for him. If that is the case I don't blame him for not trying it. But if the top men are hitting the quad at worlds I don't know if he can win. I know its one element, but it seems that without at least attempting it he has to skate a clean LP. He will defintely need to be landing the quad in at least the LP at the Olympics.

jennylovskt

Medalist
More attitude - that's how I feel about his this time's journal. Johnny and Evan's rivalry is heating up and on the surface now, from the costume's choice to their skating style, not to mention the competitions on ice. Why should the US federation mention the award that he got in Russia and be a part of his Russian craziness?! I think it's fair not to be involved into it. From his journal, I don't see any sign of adding a quad at Nationals. If he doesn't have a quad at Nationals, there will definitely be no quad at this year's Worlds. I believe he will not have a quad at GPF. He is growing tired of people asking him about the quad and seems starting to come up and against it.

Any way, wish Johnny good luck on the up coming quadless competitions!

feraina

Record Breaker
Thank God for a male skater with some personality. Johnny is the main reason that I care about men's skating at all. :rock: I wish him the best possible luck and the best possible season!

momjudi

On the Ice
Why should the US federation mention the award that he got in Russia and be a part of his Russian craziness?! I think it's fair not to be involved into it. QUOTE]

Because Johnny is the only American to be honord with this award and as Johnny said, if the federation sees fit to mention that Evan went to a movie premiere (which had nothing to do with skating, ) then Johnny's award at a skating show should be mentioned.

Hsuhs

Record Breaker
I am happy he is happy. He had a great season.
That's the way I feel about it too.

Thank God for a male skater with some personality.
I, too, love that about Johnny.

Why should the US federation mention the award that he got in Russia and be a part of his Russian craziness?! I think it's fair not to be involved into it.

At the time I thought it was distasteful of USFSA not to mention Johnny winning that award. But it didn't surprise me at all. They are like this, it's a fact, and I've learned to live with it. I think.

tilak

On the Ice
My original meaning is to say Johnny's craziness about Russia. I have nothing against the friendly Russian people.

That clears it up a bit, but the friendly Russian people decided Johnny was deserving of this award. By the way, Paul Wylie gave it a mention at the beginning of the ESPN broadcast just awhile ago.

jennylovskt

Medalist
That clears it up a bit, but the friendly Russian people decided Johnny was deserving of this award. By the way, Paul Wylie gave it a mention at the beginning of the ESPN broadcast just awhile ago.

There is nothing wrong with the Russian people gave Johnny such award. To a foreigner who takes such special interest in their culture, it's only right and very nice to give him an honor award. But as US federation, a governing body, it might not be right to go out of their position and specially mention it - especially Johnny is so crazy about it. Paul Wylie mentioned it. It's good. It's enough. JMO.

Last edited:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
yeah, i am glad that he finally got it together, but I am still a little mad at him because I know that he could have been like this all along and maybe could have been world champ by now if he had stopped by so childish eariler. I have this wierd feeling that he will be unbeatable this season... looking at his past performances, maybe that's not so wierd.

momjudi

On the Ice
Sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you can turn yourself around. But I did feel sad when Johnny said he was giving up his personal life for the next two years.

1cmarie

Rinkside
yeah, i am glad that he finally got it together, but I am still a little mad at him because I know that he could have been like this all along and maybe could have been world champ by now if he had stopped by so childish eariler.

See, this is what I've never understood. Why does it matter when it happens, as long as it does (and by it, I mean winning a major medal; or in this case, a world championship)? This doesn't apply exclusively to Johnny, but to any skater (or athlete, academy award winner, what have you). You have Butryskaya (sp?) winning worlds at darn near 30; Kwan and Slutskaya never having achieved their ultimate goals of becoming Olympic champions, yet (seemingly) still striving for it at nearly the same age. If it's in fate's hands for Kwan (or even Cohen) to win Olympic gold in 2010, or for Johnny to snag a world medal this season, does it really matter, in the grand scheme of things, how long it took them to do it? That sort of logic has never made all that much sense, to me.

attyfan

Custom Title
Medalist
Because Johnny is the only American to be honord with this award and as Johnny said, if the federation sees fit to mention that Evan went to a movie premiere (which had nothing to do with skating, ) then Johnny's award at a skating show should be mentioned.

Does the federation mention when Evan goes to a movie premiere? More importantly, does it mention if Evan goes to one without Tanith? It seems that it is the female competitors who get mentioned most often -- so, any joint mentions might be more due to Tanith's presence than his. I don't recall any mentions of Evan alone -- anyone else recall anything?

tilak

On the Ice
Does the federation mention when Evan goes to a movie premiere? More importantly, does it mention if Evan goes to one without Tanith? It seems that it is the female competitors who get mentioned most often -- so, any joint mentions might be more due to Tanith's presence than his. I don't recall any mentions of Evan alone -- anyone else recall anything?

I found this link at USFS official website - Evan Lysacek Works the Red Carpet at "Sky High" Premiere:
http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=30344

twinsissv

Rinkside
Lovely read, as usual. I'm so glad that Johnny is listening to people who apparently have his best interests in mind and learning from past mistakes. After all, that's what life is supposed to be about isn't it? And haven't we all made mistakes...even those detractors who can't seem to find any redeeming qualities in him as a human being or athlete? I can only speculate that they must be perfect people. I am so grateful that I don't know any perfect people. :think:

Last edited:

Boxer

Spectator
I usually just lurk here but I have to support what twinsissy just said. People have lives outside of being athletes. At least one would hope so. Alot of the skaters have had good and bad seasons. Except for Plushy of course. lol Being 3 dimensional is what makes Johnny more interesting than most of the other men. Yes he's learning and growing both as a person and a skater and he lets us in on all of it which makes him so much less boring than E.....everyone else. :biggrin: