Is Kimmie up to podium at the Finals? (spoiler) | Golden Skate

Is Kimmie up to podium at the Finals? (spoiler)

Both powerhouse Ladies are in the mix and it leaves a bronze medal up for grabs. I don't see it being easy for Kimmie to get that medal with those remaining in the commpetition who really are top skaters: Yukari? Zhang? Kostner? Remember it's a clean competition and no points brought forward.

Joe

Fossi

Final Flight
I am worried for Kimmie this year. She's been skating good, but nothing that really stands out. I hope she has been training hard and is ready for a real fight.

feraina

Record Breaker
Kimmie's 3/3's are really not looking good at the moment (and I don't expect her to ever bring 3A back to again). However, she has wonderful speed and flow, especially in her SP, this year, and she garners high PCS for fast, light skating. I think if she can get those 3/3's under control, then the bronze is definitely within her reach.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I say she will be fourth. Miki not being there will help... (how many times is this now that the reigning world champ dosen't make the final and the junior champ does) But I cannot see her beating yu-na at all... carolina can be very good or terrible so it's hard to say with her... I gotta say that she will place 3rd or 4th.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
Yu Na and Mao will fight for gold. Kimmie and Yukari will fight for bronze. Carolina and Caroline will fight for 5th.

flying camel

Medalist
I think Kimmie will be second or third. Mao has not been skating great either. Yukari still has ugly jumps and Zhang will get hit with underrotating her jumps. So, that leaves just Yu-Na for gold. Kimmie second and Mao third. But who knows.

slutskayafan21

Match Penalty
I think Kimmie will be second or third. Mao has not been skating great either. Yukari still has ugly jumps and Zhang will get hit with underrotating her jumps. So, that leaves just Yu-Na for gold. Kimmie second and Mao third. But who knows.

Sorry but what basis is there right now to believe Mao will lose to Kimmie. Yeah Mao hasnt been great but her scores are MUCH higher then Kimmie so far.

jsteam4501s

On the Ice
Yukari Nakano is overdue for a really sensational performance, and I think she could really make a serious run at the Gold. IMO, leg wraps are not ugly, but should be accepted as just another STYLE, but unfortunately are not seen that way in reality. So, I'm going to say it'll be her and Kimmie battling for bronze, with Kim edging out Mao for the Gold. Watch out though if Yukari hits her triple axle really well.

*Sniper*

On the Ice
As things stand right now, two solid performances each from Mao and Yuna will surely be enough for the gold or silver, imo.

The rest of the field will be fighting for the bronze, and I have a sneaking suspicion that CaroZ will spring some surprises.
Kimmie is definitely in there, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if she didn't medal at the Final or the Worlds again.

Eddie Lee

On the Ice
Yu Na and Mao are really in a league unto themselves. Both would have to really bomb for any of the other skaters to move into the gold medal range. Even with less-than-clean performances, they win. I will agree there is something very special about both of them. They skate with such ease and lightness that is ethereal. No frantic arm flailing with these two. Much like Kwan in presentation, but a generation removed: More speed with a technical aresenal that includes the 3A and/or 3/3 combo.

oleada

Record Breaker
She landed one at Worlds, albeit a two-footed one. Clean one...I think last year's NHK.

kikakiks

On the Ice
Despite me not being a kimmie fan, i think she does have shot at the podium, since she's a fighter! She has this quality of not letting go, while in this early season I've seen too many girls giving up on their programs.

I wonder what the skating order for the lp will be at the final: it could play a major role. Since she seems to do really good and get a boost of confidence when the others falter (which is another good quality, when others usually keep doing worse and worse), if there is a draw it could play at her favor. If it is the reverse sp order, then it could be against her, since i don't see her doing a spectacular sp for now (wait for worlds)

I wonder what the skating order for the lp will be at the final: it could play a major role. Since she seems to do really good and get a boost of confidence when the others falter (which is another good quality, when others usually keep doing worse and worse), if there is a draw it could play at her favor. If it is the reverse sp order, then it could be against her, since i don't see her doing a spectacular sp for now (wait for worlds)
That's an interesting point you raised,kikakiks. I for one, believe the order-of-skate has a bearing on how well a skater performs and therefore a factor in the final score. Much, of course,also depends on the mental state of the competitor at the time 'the music begins'. Some skaters control the nerves better than others but the order-of-skate can affect that ever so slightly.

Maybe the officials will decide to use the lowest total scores to skate first and so forth till the highest scorer skates last.

Otherwise does anyone know how the order-of-skate is arrive at?

Joe

efreedman

On the Ice
Skate Order

That's an interesting point you raised,kikakiks. I for one, believe the order-of-skate has a bearing on how well a skater performs and therefore a factor in the final score. Much, of course,also depends on the mental state of the competitor at the time 'the music begins'. Some skaters control the nerves better than others but the order-of-skate can affect that ever so slightly.

Maybe the officials will decide to use the lowest total scores to skate first and so forth till the highest scorer skates last.

Otherwise does anyone know how the order-of-skate is arrive at?

Joe

I may be wrong, but I think they have been using the skater's ISU standing for the skate order at Grand Prix events. At least it appears that way.

kikakiks

On the Ice
For the sp: will it be the ISU rank, or the rank for admission at the final, or a draw?

For the lp: will it be the reverse sp order, or will it be a draw?

I am going to check if there is any pdf on the isu website

Edit: I checked, but couldn't find anything.
My choice would be a draw for both sp and lp. however I have the feeling it will be

Sp: rank for admission at the final
lp: reverse sp standings:no:

Last edited:
Good assumptions. They should list the order-of-skate soon and we will know what to expect in the future With CoP scoring in such small differences, everything matters.

Kimmie is cool and not easily ruffed up but there could be a slight problem in her hearing a hearty applause before she skates as it will all skaters before they skate..

Joe

clairecloutier

Final Flight
I'm worried about Kimmie this year. She seems to be struggling so much with her jumps. I'm still rooting for her, but it will be a surprise if she makes the podium, based on her season thus far.