Pet Peeves, part 2 | Golden Skate

Pet Peeves, part 2

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Okay, we're sitting in the movie theater this afternoon, when yet another woman enters holding an infant in an infant carrier. She plops down, and ten minutes into the movie, the little one (understandable so), starts to cry. Instead of taking the baby out, the dipsy lady rocks him, tries to feed him, jiggles him on her lap, for about 5 awful minutes before she takes him out. Ten minutes later she's back, and soon, it all starts over again.

My question is, why do theaters allow people to bring infants into a movie theater? If the parents can afford the price of movie tickets, then they should be able to afford the price of a baby sitter for a couple of hours..........there, I got that off my chest, and now off I go to e-mail the local movie theaters........42

heyang

Record Breaker
Sometimes the kid thing works out at the movies. If the parents are lucky, the baby sleeps through the whole movie. Nothing wrong with that.

The parent in your example should have left the room as soon as the baby started to cry. Was she at least at the back of the room (or front - whichever is nearest the exit door)? That's when I consider it to be inconsiderate.

I think it would be nice if some rooms had enclosed rooms for people who bring kids. Then the kids could make all the noise they want while the other patrons can watch the movie in peace.

What I really find annoying is when people talk constantly throughout the movie!! They don't even have the excuse of not knowing better. My cousins & I went to see Resident Evil on opening weekend (not my choice - should have skipped the movie and met everyone for dinner afterwards.) The room was packed and I was at the end of our group. 2 women sat next to me and immediately started looking around for their friends. One of them actually took out her cell phone to call and have her friend wave. Once they found out where everyone was seated, they just continued to chat. The previews came on and they continued to chat. The movie started and they didn't shutup. I was practically jumping out of my skin between the bad movie, constant chatter and the bad breath of one of the women. Finally, I leaned forward to stare at them and they paused. As I leaned back, I saw that one of my cousins had leaned forward to look at them, too. Less than a minute later, they started talking again. This time, I said 'Would you mind lowering your voices' They were shocked that I could hear them. They stopped talking for about 4 minutes before the whispering started. I just gave up because the movie was totally bad. BTW, they were speaking Japanese - so, I didn't even have the pleasure of knowing what they were talking about. If I had driven myself, I would've left the theatre and just gone to B&N for a mocha.

2loop2002

Rinkside
I agree GoldElephant. The radio show I listen to in the mornings was talking about the No Call Lists this morning. If the list they gave of industries and people exempt from the rules is accurate, I wonder who isn't allowed to make unsolicited calls. :rolleyes:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
BOO HOO

I just read an article in the newspaper this morning that telemarketing firms have now brought two class action suits charging that their business will be ruined. BOO HOO! They don't seem to mind how many dinners... not to mention LIVES these creeps have ruined. :p

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I have found that I cannot get the telemarketers to quit calling...I ask for their phone number so that I can call them in the middle of the night and interupt their sleep. I work nights, sleep days, and this happens sometimes. They usually hang up on me. Our main line is also a work line, so when I tell them that it is a business they usually apologize.

I cannot stand people that do not eat with their mouths closed. Particularly when crunching chips. It makes me almost violent to hear someone chomping away on chips, crumbs spewing out, mouth open.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Wow, it's amazing how many "Pet Peeves" we all have in common. I wear my pager when I go to the movies and keep it on "stun" (vibrate). If I get a page and I think it's an emergency, I go into the lobby and use my cell phone to call the number. We were watching "Tomb Raider" this afternoon, and a cell phone went off near the end at a very important part of the movie. The person actually took the call and carried on a conversation for several minutes.

As for telemarketers, I leave my answering machine on all the time and just screen my calls. We can hear the messages from the dinner table........it saves a lot of inconvenience. If I happen to pick up the phone and take the call, I just say a quick "No thank you" and quickly hang up. I used to actually listen to them, and then it was tough to hang up politely.........

I agree heyang, a sleeping baby is no problem, but the babies that attend the movies I do always manage to wake up!!!

This is great, almost like "therapy"...........42

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I am amazed that people are so rude as to take a call during the movie...like it takes some great mental wizard to purchase a cell phone...as if it gives you some undeniable right to use it any and everywhere.

I am working on perfecting my "WHAT IN THE HECK DO YOU THINK YOU ARE DOING ANSWERING THAT THING IN HERE, AND WHERE DID YOU GET THAT STUPID RING TONE?!?" glare, for just such an occassion....that and the Chip Muncher Muzzle...

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I get really mean. Especially if they ask for my husband. I start crying and tell them it's bad enough that he died and they call and just make it worse. Actually though, I haven't received many since on the no call list. If they do, I get all the info I can and turn them in to the Attorney General. I used to ask them why they couldn't get a real job. Hey, you don't mess with Granny!
:D

Pookie

Final Flight
People with cell phones can be so annoying. (Not all of them, of course. :) ) I was in the store the other day when a woman pulled out her phone and made a call. She was calling someone she came to the store with and wanted to know what isle she was in. :rolleyes:

People talking while driving is so dangerous. Someone swerved in front of me the other day while they were talking on the phone. Of course, I guess they could have just been a lousy driver.

I don't have a cell phone but would like to for emergencies. If I ever do those things, I hope someone reminds me of my pet peeves. :)

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually had a telemarketer ask me why I wouldn't buy whatever they were selling. I said, excuse me. The telemarketer said---well I want to know why you won't buy my product (whatever it was). I said---I'm going to hang up now and the telemarketer actually screamed ---WHY!!!!

Dee

Kara Bear

Final Flight
I feel bad for some telemarketers. That has got to be a crappy job. But people need work and sometimes that is all they can get. Around here it is call center heaven and I know a lot of people who work at them because it is the only job where they can get decent money.

That being said, Rogers ATT have called here at least 5 times in the last week. They keep calling for my father and getting me. I listened politely to their pitch twice and refused. I am unemployed and I know my father would never use a cell phone...he barely uses a regular phone. Yesterday they called again...and I was cranky. I interrupted and said I have heard this speech several times this week and we are not interested, please stop calling. I can be polite the first time...it is another person on the other line, but after that...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
I feel better now having said that.

Anyways, other pet peeves include slow drivers and walkers...get outta my way!!!

Seonaid920

On the Ice
I used to try to be polite to telemarketers but now i just hang up on them and they call far less than they used to. I just signed up for the do-not-call list. o happy day!

I don't think babies should be allowed into theaters at all, or children under a certain age for R rated movies for that matter, I don't care if they're with their parents - the movie is for adults - I don't want to see or hear kids in a movie unless its by Disney.

One time I went to a movie and there were two families there with newborns at a very late movie. when one stopped crying, inevitably the other started. Somebody yelled out "get a babysitter"

Its so inconsiderate. Seriously, get a babysitter. I went to see Bruce Almighty a few weeks ago and a woman came in with a rake of kids including one toddler who screamed and ran up and down the isles the entire movie. The other kids were also up and down the isles non-stop.

I don't like cellphones either. especially when people use them in stores, especially when the carry out long boring conversations in bookstore or on the trian. I think people these days are afraid of their own company.

but my biggest pet peeve is gum cracking or people eating on the train (the sound of people's chewing is not what I want to hear at 730 am) and even worse when they put their trash on the floor of the train. litterbugs.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
My "pet peeve" at a movie is people talking throughout the movie! Do they think they are at home in front of the tv? I find this very annoying!

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I actually had a telemarketer ask me why I wouldn't buy whatever they were selling. I said, excuse me. The telemarketer said---well I want to know why you won't buy my product (whatever it was). I said---I'm going to hang up now and the telemarketer actually screamed ---WHY!!!!

Dee

Blue Bead

Medalist
What really irks me are people using their cellphones while driving, telemarketers, and mothers attending to their kids while driving.

It seems that when drivers put a cellphone to their ear their brains shut down in all other areas except hearing and speaking. Invariably they can be spotted fairly readily because they don't use turn signals (they don't have a free hand with which to turn it on!), they drive 10 to 15 m.p.h. below the posted speed limit in the center lane on the freeway (and often the passing lane as well), they make unexpected lane changes, and they are totally unaware that they are sitting in your car's blindspot when you are trying to change lanes, and they pace you. For some reason in my part of the US when the weather gets really hot the cellphone drivers multiply, LOL.

The do-not-call list is a godsend but I'm sure some telemarketing company will figure out some legal way to circumvent it. Maybe a bunch of people who have been hounded to pieces with calls should get a class action lawsuit against the telemarketing companies for some major millions of dollars, LOL

On the way to a doctor's appointment today I was back of a not-so-young mother who had her child's safety seat secured in the back seat of her small car. She had her right hand between the front bucket seats fooling with her child. She was traveling about 45 miles an hour behind a large dump truck. She was so distracted that she swerved left of center and caused an on-coming car to pull into the berm. It never fazed this driving mother! About a quarter mile later she swerved to the right while fiddling with the child and missed a mailbox by inches. I stayed about 10 car lengths behind her because there was no way to determine what would happen. Luckily nothing did, and she turned off on a side street. The sad part about this was if there had been an accident she, most likely, would have survived but I doubt that the child strapped in the car seat in the middle of that back seat would have been so lucky!

Blue Bead

windspirit

On the Ice
- Bad drivers: (rant warning) 1. Tailgating is DANGEROUS; 2. Find where a turn signal in your car is and USE it, especially when changing lanes on a freeway; 3. Unless you're driving a B-I-G truck, you DON'T have to move as far to the left as possible when turning RIGHT, and vice versa; 4. If you want to turn left you DON'T have the right of way (unless it's a 4-way intersection and you've gotten there first); 5. DON'T honk at people who stop at the stop sign, especially when there's a train track behind it (duh!); 6. MAKE SURE that the garbage you insist on driving with is securely tied to your car and WON'T fall off -- a matress lying on the freeway in the middle of the night/bouncing barrels/buckets/chairs/ETC. are a HUGE NO-NO!; 7. when you get in your car in a parking lot and see another car RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU waiting for some people to pass, the LAST thing you want to do is step on gas; etc.

- People on bicycles in the middle of the road who have no idea of any rules that regulate the traffic and NO COMMON SENSE. Same with pedestrians. People who are unable to guess who's gonna win when 150 pounds of meat and bones meet with 1.5 tons of steel.

- School buses stopping every 10 meters, as if it'd kill one kid to walk to the next one.

- Freaking LOUD and persistent church bells at 6:57 a.m. on Sunday.

- People at the movies having conversations during a movie; translating the whole thing to someone who don't speak the language; eating pizza with onions... Do I have to go on? ;)

- People clipping their toenails in the same room you're eating dinner in (I had a roomate like that :eek: ).

OK, I feel better now. :cool:

Last edited:

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
You know, if they would charge a lot extra for babies, etc. I bet they'd get a baby sitter!:rolleyes:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I saw a guy sitting in public last week flossing his teeth. MAJOR gross out! I couldn't believe it when I saw it! :eek:

Seonaid920

On the Ice
toe nail clippings

I once saw a woman stop at a bench where office workers were sitting eating lunch outside and she took off her shoe, pulled up her foot and commenced clipping her toe nails. It was horrifying.

I have also been witness to people (usually men) clipping their nails on a train while innocent bystanders have to move to avoid being hit by flying bits of nails.

drivers who run red lights or speed up at the yellow

drivers who block the crosswalks or while they're sitting at a red light keep inching up while people are trying to cross the street.

people still driving with cellphones (even though it is illegal in this state)

walking behind someone who is smoking