Footwork ideas | Golden Skate

Footwork ideas

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Sometimes I feel like a Laurel and Hardy act with my coach when we are coming up with a new program. I want my programs to really stand out and feel good about what I am doing. I can jump, spin, and express okay. I feel that uncaptured moves, imagination, and footwork are my weakest elements (reading back over this I look hopeless). It's not that I CAN'T do them, they just don't come naturally to me at this point. I am working on FS4 is ISI and pre bronze/bronze in adult MIF.

Does anyone have ideas or pointers on how I can improve this without having to traipse to the next state over to a choreographer/coach?

icenut84

Final Flight
Could you be more specific about the weakness of your footwork that you pointed out?
Is it:
*Quality of steps/turns?
*Variety of steps/turns that you can do?
*Speed at which you can do them?
*Control?
*Originality?

I don't know the US levels, so what kind of turns can you do?

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Sorry it took o ling torespond to this...I forgot that I asked it :eek:

Um: I find that once I learn something I master it for the most part...or try to. I am a perfectionsit...so, I don't think that it is quality...I feel like it is more originality, or content maybe. I just feel like the footwork that my coach and I come up with is boring. I rely heavily on my coach, and sometimes I feel like we are a Laurel and Hardy act when coming up with new footwork. I think that I could do many things that we have not explored yet...Ijust don't know what they are...kind of like not knowing what questions to ask if you don't know what questions to ask. I am relying on my coach to come up with fantastic footwork, show it to me, then let me practice the heck out of it. I am not scared to try anything new, I am just inexperienced, and need the guidance. Am I rambling? I have even resorted to looking at my skating tapes, and writing the stuff down that I see, and relaying it to my coach. It sounds stupid, but I am at a loss....

icenut84

Final Flight
It doesn't sound stupid. I love trying out things that I've seen on TV. Ok, I'll list as many types of turns as I can think of (I don't know how many of them you can do - if there's any you don't recognise, your coach can explain them to you):

2 foot turns
Three turns (FO, FI, BO, BI)
Double 3 turns (Forward then backward, or vice versa)
Twizzles
Brackets
Counters
Rockers
Mohawks (forward open & closed, backward)
Choctaws (all the different types)
Chasses
Closed chasses

You can also incorporate:
Hops (e.g bunny hops, side-hops, mazurkas, ballet jumps, etc)
Small jumps (e.g. stag jumps, split jumps, half jumps)
Positions (e.g depending on how flexible you are, you could hit a couple of nice positions like kicking your leg up)
Toe steps (e.g. Yagudin's Winter SP)
Spread eagles, ina bauer positions, etc
Edge changes

And also upper body movements, to add interest, and you can also experiment with the free leg on 1 foot turns etc (e.g. where are you going to have it?)

Have you got Sasha Cohen's SP from the 02 season on video? If so, watch her circular step sequence. She has a couple of hops/small jumps in it, a Russian split jump, and at one point she swings her leg up to her face then back to the layback position. Unusual, and looks nice. Actually, watch as many step sequences as you can, they might help give you ideas.

Three patterns to choose from - straight, circular or serpentine.

One thing to add interest is to do rotations in both directions. Also, don't do it all on 2 feet. Try to get a big variety of moves in it, and relate it to the music (with timing etc). You can make sharp, staccato moves or softer, flowing moves. Or both. Depends on your music, your abilities and your preferences. Spend some time just experimenting with short sequences of things, seeing what feels good, being as imaginative as you can.

Hope that helps!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
One of my favorite footwork moves is three half flips out of mohawks, done fast in a straight line down the ice. You look like you are "tap dancing"--its very cool. I also love pinwheels, a combo of a forward outside three turn with a back outside edge on the opposite foot.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Wow, icenut and yazmeen, these are some great suggestions. I guess I better lay in a year's supply of casts, :D because footwork is not yet my strong point (and that's what I fell on during the last wrist fracture)!!

Seriously, good stuff here. I've printed it off and pasted it in my skating journal.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
The footwork Angela Nikodinov has in her programs are always good... especially from "Sleeping Beauty"

Glacierskater

On the Ice
ooooooohhhh, you all are giving me some nice things to work with. ICENUT, thank you. YAZMEEM, you are the jumping queen. I am there on the consecutive 1/2 flips. I have no idea what a mazurka is, but I cannot wait to find out. I am also copying and pasting so that I have some stuff to go to my coach with and get some demos on. I will keep you all posted on how this goes. I would really like to get my footwork to something of a flowy artistic level...not "Dance of the Laborador That Has To Pee"....

Oh, one more thing that I have wondered about...Yagudin had some awesome footwork in one (well all) of his Olympic programs. The one that caught my eye, that I have to learn because I picture myself doing it when certani music comes on, is in the program that he wore the black and white flame looking out fit. I think that it is straight line footwork, and he has a move that he does where he looks like he is going forward, but puts his toe behind him and picks...it is really fast, and awe inspring to me...does anyone know what I am talking about? I have the tape.....I will watch it tomorrow. Any help with that one, or the name of the move would be a help...thanks for the contributions.

Glacier

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
....I have no idea what a mazurka is, but I cannot wait to find out.

If you are a CCW skater -- the take off is from a right back outside edge. Toe in with your left toepick - this is a half jump, BTW - and in the air you kind of scissor your feet. You land the jump forward on your right toepick and skate forward on your left outside edge.

Have you ever checked out www.sk8stuff.com ? Look under "Recognize Elements" and you'll find all sorts of good info.

Cheers!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
SK8TER,
Thanks for the tip...I have been out to that site before...time to go back! I had to giggle at myself thinking about doing the scissor thing in the air. I am sure that it is more graceful than what I am picturing myself doing - hehe.

Um, didn't you say that you started skating to get back into shape? When you started to lose the weight, in what ways did it impact your skating? Jumps in particular...I am curious. I have put on some weight since I first started skating, and came back to it. Wondering what differences I should expect to see.

icenut84

Final Flight
Glacierskater said:
Oh, one more thing that I have wondered about...Yagudin had some awesome footwork in one (well all) of his Olympic programs. The one that caught my eye, that I have to learn because I picture myself doing it when certani music comes on, is in the program that he wore the black and white flame looking out fit. I think that it is straight line footwork, and he has a move that he does where he looks like he is going forward, but puts his toe behind him and picks...it is really fast, and awe inspring to me...does anyone know what I am talking about? I have the tape.....I will watch it tomorrow. Any help with that one, or the name of the move would be a help...thanks for the contributions.

That's his Winter short programme from Salt Lake City (in my post, I referred to toe steps, e.g. Yagudin's Winter SP). That's what I was talking about. I don't know if it has another name other than toe steps, but you could always ask your coach. You're right, it did look really effective! Some other skaters have used toe steps this year too, in their footwork sequences. You could watch as many of the programmes you have on tape as possible, and write down any interesting footwork you see. (If you watch it carefully & slowly, you should be able to tell what turns they're doing.) You could also use tried and tested footwork sequences that many skaters learn, such as the BO3-mohawk sequence. This consists of doing a BO3 turn, immediately doing an inside open mohawk from the inside edge, then changing feet and doing another BO3, etc. It takes a lot of practice and control but when it's done well, and fast, it looks REALLY good! (Example - Angela Nikodinov did it in the circular footwork sequence in her 01 SP, but a lot of skaters do it. Either fast and on it's own, or just a couple of turns slower.)

P.S. In my other post, I put chasses and closed chasses under turns you could use, but they're not turns lol, so pretend they're under the other section. :D

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Glacierskater said:
SK8TER,
Um, didn't you say that you started skating to get back into shape? When you started to lose the weight, in what ways did it impact your skating? Jumps in particular...I am curious. I have put on some weight since I first started skating, and came back to it. Wondering what differences I should expect to see.

My jumps have continued to get bigger and stronger. I don't know how much of that is because of the weight loss and how much is because of the strength gain. I do feel that some of the rotation problems I'm having would be solved, at least in part, if I lose those last 30 pounds that I want to lose.

Where I saw the difference as those first pounds came off was in the spins. As my center of gravity changed, so did the spins. It was quite frustrating for a while, but this has evened out as my weight loss has become less dramatic.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
I am also working on a dramatic weight loss, hoping that it will make my skating more dramatic. when I cam back to skating after a year long hiatas, I has started to work nights, and gained a lot of weight. It is coming off slowly, but I was shocked that I could not jump or spin. It ook three weeks to be able to do both. Then I surpassed everything that I had been doing. I took a while though. I will going to pop in Yagudin's winter program and disect the footwork (from the treadmill - hehe)...then I need to pop in Ice Castles while I clean house...but that's another thread...

Thanks to everyone for this input...I will be adding this to my new skate journal...that's another thread to. :p

You all are so supportive. I wish that I had you at my rink.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Good luck with the weight loss, Glacier. I know I feel much better, and I am sure that you will too. SKating is an excellent exercise.

Right now I'm at a plateau where I need to change some lifestyle habits in order to facilitate more weight loss. Daily skating has gotten me as far as it will go. I know what I need to do, but taking that last step is hard. However, I'll do it eventually.

Again, good luck! I'd be happy to share my trials and tribulations - we can be a cyber-support group!

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
I just absolutely LOVE that Yagudin program which can be viewed here (I don't know how to make it a link, so cut and paste in your browser):

http://www.olympic.org/uk/utilities/multimedia/gallery/results_uk.asp?entid=77&MediaType=vid

I find that it doesn't work with my Netscape but that I can view it through Internet Explorer. I watch it over and over and over, because SOME DAY I am going to be able to skate like that, even if the jumps are just singles. That program has such flair and fun and energy. I have one "pick-like" thingie that my coach put in my current program. When we add the next 30 seconds to bring the program up to Adult Gold level, I have to add straightline footwork. I am determined to do something totally fun and different, a la this program or something that Sasha had (I believe at this year's Nationals ... or was it Worlds?). Of course, I cannot do something as complicated as theirs (how many arms do we think I have to break, for goodness sakes?), but I DO want it to be a little unusual.

Anyway, I love this thread and have copied and pasted all the suggestions into my skate journal to try in the near future.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Footwork ideas:

Glacierskater:

Why not study the master of footwork - Kurt Browning and see how much attention to detail he gives to his footwork. It's amazing. Also, how are you at ice dance? That is the discipline for footwork! If you want some tips on how to improve - study the way ice dancers move and use footwork. You will be amazed how you will improve!

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Glacierskater: I took 22 pounds off with Weight Watchers three years ago, which took me from about 143 to my current weight which stays between 121 and 123 for the most part (I'm just under 5 foot 4). It did help my skating, plus I look a heck of a lot better in a skating dress now!!! No more "pear bottom!!!" The nice thing was, skating took most of the weight off my bottom half which was what I wanted to lose. Good for you, keep it up!!!! :)

W

woshingshen

There are some other footwork ideas. Like Lunges,( you can switch from a foward lunge to a backward one), 1/2 jumps (flips, toe loop..etc.) A half loop would be good!:D , and there are spread eagles, bunny hops, three turns, twizzles ( do a foward outside three turn and keep turning- example), mohawk crosses, toe turns ( get on both of your toe picks and turn), split jumps, and more...heehe, well good luck with your footwork. :)

Glacierskater

On the Ice
This last wekk I did learn some new things from a fellow skater. They will take practice, but I think that I can master them.

LADSKATER: I will be looking at Kurt's programs for ideas and inspiration.

YAZMEEN: I am hoping that I will be back in skating dresses by the time that I entertain serious thoughts of AN. I just have to keep working at it and eating healthy.