Ask any question - skater's version | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Ask any question - skater's version

Yazmeen

On the Ice
MICHELLE KWAN!! To just do anything near one of her programs, with the technical expertise, the emotion and the flow would be the most incredible gift.

What's your ultimate "REAL" skating goal, and for fun, if a genie gave you a skating goal wish, what would it be?

My ultimate skating goal is to get all the jumps and spins and other techniques up to "axel" (and comparable accompanying skills) level. My genie goal? An incredible, emotion filled program with at least double jumps!!!:love:

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
My "real" skating goal is to be able to do 2-3 doubles, a layback, and an ina bauer. My "genie" goal is just what you were talking about -- being able to translate my skating passion into a beautiful, emotional, moving performance.

Q: What is the one thing that you do off-ice that most helps your skating on-ice?

Lanie

On the Ice
Ballet! It seems kind of...commonplace...but honestly, it's helped posture, positioning, and just my general skating has become so much smoother!

Okay, my question: why did you start skating?

icenut84

Final Flight
I started skating because it was something I'd wanted to do since I was 10 years old. When I was 10, I watched Torvill & Dean in the 1994 Europeans and Olympics and thought they were amazing. I really wanted to be like Jayne. Unfortunately for me, there was no rink where I lived so I couldn't start skating. As the years passed, skating kind of went to the back of my mind although I still watched T&D tapes sometimes. When I was 17, I was talking to a friend about our ambitions, and I mentioned that I had always wanted to skate in one of T&D's ice shows. It got me thinking about it again. I researched on the internet, and found out where the nearest rink was (1hr drive away), lesson times etc. I got my first pair of figure skates for Christmas, and finally started group lessons 2 months later, with incredible nerves and excitement. That was 2.5 years ago and I still love skating :)

For my question, I want to ask the same as Yazmeen - what's your ultimate "real" skating goal, and your "genie" goal? My ultimate real skating goal is to get the axel and at least some of the doubles (and comparable skills), and I also really want to be able to do a layback and flying camel, plus many other things.

My genie wish? Like you others, to give a flawless and moving performance in front of the people I love and to get a standing ovation! I just want to be as good a skater as I can be.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
My real skating goal? To have 2-3 doubles solid by next AN.

My genie goal? To have enough $$$ to skate at all the adult comps all over the country and world every year (ie Peach, Mountain Cup, etc). They sound like so much fun!

What aches and pains do you have from skating today? (For me it's sore legs and a sore lower back - from focusing on jumps for the last week instead of MIF's - although the sore lower back might be from golf.... )

icenut84

Final Flight
I didn't skate today, but I skated on Monday, and yesterday I was just walking and my right knee cracked! Ouch. It still feels a bit funny now actually. It's probably fine though.

How long do you usually spend in lessons per week?

flutzilla

Rinkside
Lesson time

Since my son was born 2 1/2 years ago, I've had to cut down on lesson time, to just 1/2 hour a week, which has been working out relatively well.

Here's my question -- if you received a free certificate to get any one costume an elite skater has worn duplicated for your own skating, which would it be? For me it's a tie between Michelle Kwan's Romanza costume from 95-96, and the second Taj Mahal dress from 96-97 (the pink/gold one).

Last edited:

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Easy. Michelle's Salome dress from 1996 (can you tell I bellydance???) :p

If you could have any skates and blades you wanted, cost being no object, what would you choose?

icenut84

Final Flight
I'd travel (first class of course :) ) to the best pro shop in the world (wherever that is), and have a really thorough examination to see which boot and which blade is most ideal for me. Then if I needed them custom made, I'd have them done, in white.

Do you like to skate in a skirt/dress?

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Yes, I prefer it, I feel I can move better. Plus a vanity issue--my skatingsafe pads look like plain old bulk in pants--I don't mind them showing with a skirt because then at least people know that ain't me, its the pads!!!!:laugh:

What do you feel is the best tip you every learned that made a big difference in your skating?