Carb Counting | Golden Skate

Carb Counting

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I can't think of anything more tedious than having to pay attention to ones' food consumption, but that is what I am doing. I am trying to change bad eating habits. Boy, what a challenge grocery shopping was tonight! Believe me, it takes twice as long and one ends up with less items when reading all the labels on the products before purchasing! It's amazing what we put into our bodies without thinking. My basket was pretty empty by the time I got to the checkout compared to the junk that some people loaded in their carts! I am reading a couple of good books from the library on the subject as well. It's going to take a long time reform!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
carbs

I've tried it all--I am never going to lose these extra 25 lbs. Real estate has turned me into a nervous wreck most of the time, and just the thought of having to worry about watching what I am eating just adds to my anxiety. Then again, being 25 lbs. overweight and not being able to fit into my clothes adds to my anxiety as well. I must have starved in a past life, because I'm always worried that I'm going to be hungry, although that worry is totally irrational.

Sigh.
:(

Last edited:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
There are scientific studies out there to support all the different diets out there, but I've read a lot of convincing arguments saying that carbs aren't as bad as they are sometimes made out to be.

My unscientific inclination is that the more natural (i.e. less processed) the better. Whole foods, fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans, are the way to go. Also, lean meats, fish, and dairy. It's amazing the amount flavor that comes out of this type of food and how satisfying it can be. I recently read an article indicating that processed foods taste good and have components that keep one coming back for me; however, after about three weeks of not eating this type of food, it is no longer craved. I can't vouch for that exactly, but I will say that over the last 6 months, I've made a concerted effort to avoid that type of food - just because I don't think it is healthy - and I no longer crave it. In fact, it rarely sounds appealing to me.

Lad, there's an abundance of fresh fruits and veggies in BC, no? It is actually fun, I think, to pick up a veggie you haven't tried before and cook it up. Keeps things interesting. If you find something you aren't familiar with you can go to a web site such as cookinglight.com and search for recipes with that particular ingredient.

Just out of curiosity, which books are you reading? Good luck with the whole thing.

Lee

Rinkside
I've been on a mission to drop the extra 10 - 15 pounds I've picked up in the past few years (10 of that after I quit smoking over a year ago).

My biggest 'weapon' has been logging everything I eat, plus my daily exercise activities on the FitDay website -- www.fitday.com

It lets you keep track of what you eat, your weight -- how your intake and output balance out. Just remember, while it's important to eat properly, you won't lose weight if the calories you take in are greater than that which you burn.

Anyways...good luck!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Thanks for the replies. I was hungry most of the afternoon today at work and that song "Food Glorious Food" from Oliver kept going through my mind! Yes, we have an abundance of good fruit and vegies here in BC. I have always been conscientious about my diet. There are just certain things I like - diet Coke and pop corn, potato chips. I am not a snacker, but every now and then I do like my treats! I guess the pop is the worst. I think just following a balanced diet and exercising is the best thing. It's back to the drawing board tomorrow!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
LADSKATER:
I feel your pain. I am doing the same thing. I cut out most carbs, much to the chagrin of my coach. after a lousy one hour lesson, she told me that she thinks that I should at least have some carbs. I have eaten more, but cut out the junk. I am feeling better than I did when I was eating the junk. I was amazed to see how addicted to carbs I was...AM. Are you doing Atkins by chance?

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Glacierskater:

Not exactly. I am following the diabetic diet. I am not a diabetic, but I was married to one for twelve years and my present male companion is now diagnosed with type two diabetes. I am trying to help him with his diet. It would not hurt me to lose about ten pounds! The diabetic diet is one of the best diets around. I just have to get used to thinking about meals again. It's going to take some effort!

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Lad, sounds like you are doing very well already. Eating your favorite foods in moderation is okay, no?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
About that diabetic diet, they didn't formerly tell you to quit carbs as they are now doing. I asked my Dr. for a copy and she didn't have any. So I don't really know anything about what to or not to eat. I've tried looking on the internet but haven't really found what I think is proper.

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Very cool of you to be that supportive. I am impressed. Atkins has lots of idea and the recipes are amazingly good. ALso, I have discovered some really good candy bar replacements...low card, and sugar. I started it and my fiance go tright in there with me and did it. I never said one word, just started it and there he was. It is a nice feeling of support.

I do find that we spend twice as much money, and 3 times as long int he kitchen. I cook for the whole week and freeze the meat dishes. Then buy the salad stuff twice a week. Keep up the good work. They say that you feel great once you get over the cravings. I have never kicked the cravings, but the low carb candy bars keep me from being cranky :p

JOHIO2

Medalist
diabetic diet

I can sympathize about the carb counting. What a hassle! As a diabetic with high blood pressure, I am always hearing the medical types telling me to lose weight. Even a "small" loss, 5% to 10% of your current weight is supposed to help you manage or even reverse those. We'll see.......

I got talked into a weight loss/exercise program at my local hospital. The nutrionist got me carb counting. The exercise program has also helped. I've only lost 8 or 9 pounds, but I am really starting to see results in building muscle. The double chin was the first to go! I can also tell that I have arms and neck and shoulders. The rolls are beginning to tighten up toward becoming curves. I just wish I only had a few pounds to lose, but I'm at least trying.

As for the diabetic diet, reliable info can be found all over the web if you start out with these:

http://www.diabetes.org/main/application/commercewf

http://www.diabetes.ca/Section_Main/welcome.asp

http://diabetes.about.com/

http://ndep.nih.gov/

I'd add more links, but I'm afraid to lose this reply! More later.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Even though I don't really "believe" in it, I did the Atkins induction for three weeks just to force myself to eat more protein (I'm a total carboholic). My real goal was to learn to eat more protein so that I would build muscle more easily. I've been especially concerned about eating right since breaking my wrist the second time (just to aid the healing process).

I lost 7 pounds and felt so much better, that I just gradually added back in fruits and vegetables. Right now I'm not following anyone's program, just making sensible choices like someone here said. I cut out the refined sugars and non-complex carbs, and I'm really slimming out and feeling fab.

Tonight I had decided that I would eat a small amount of Ben & Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream (which was sort of my problem in the first place), and I found that I didn't actually enjoy it! Hmmm ... that's never happened before. Long may it last.

JOHIO2

Medalist
Atkins diet

Hi Cinderella,

Once, long ago, I tried the Atkins diet. You're right - you can't help but lose weight. Unfortunately, since I have a kidney disease, so much protein could damage my kidneys and kidney function. And all those veggies are hard on my digestive system. I've got my fiber limit and my body punishes me if I go over.

But I found that I really need those carbs. Life without bread and rice and potato, etc. seemed unbearable. Plus, going into the ketone acidosis, which is the weight loser in Atkins, makes me grouchy and grumpy and sleepy (and maybe some of the other dwarfs).

Now that I am older and taking a longer view, I also realize that I absolutely must have the occasional dose of Ben and Jerry's or other goodies, usually containing chocolate. Which will kill you faster? Some goodies or a miserable existence! No choice necessary.....

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Johio - sorry to hear about your kidney probs and the litany of dwarfs. At least you didn't become Itchy, Oozy, Weepy, or Smelly (I believe they were the dwarfs' second cousins).

But you said it -- life is for living, and there are some things out there that I'm not willing to give up forever. I do thank dear departed Dr. Atkins for helping me to drastically cut back on the severe overload of carbs that were previously my diet. I was totally out of control, and somehow being able to cut them out almost completely made me realize that it doesn't have to be all or nothing at all. So even if it wasn't the healthiest food plan, it did put me back on the right track. Now I'm experimenting as to what the right balance of proteins/carbs/fats, etc. is for me. At times, I feel like I'm going to need a PhD. in nutrition!

But in my case, if it helps my skating, then it becomes part of my lifestyle. Are you a current or previous skater?

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Jo, thanks for the sites. I couldn't get the first one but saved the one with the list. Now I just need to find time to read it. I have a kidney disease and high blood pressure too. I really need to do something. Thanks again. Grgranny

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi Cinderella and Grgranny!

Granny, I tried the first link again. I had no problem. Maybe you could try again? Or just point your search engine to the Am Diabetes assn (or is that org?). Since this is the biggest US organization for diabetes, the visit could be woth it.

Hope your daughter's latest treatments help her. She's had such a struggle with her health.

Cinderella, unfortunately, I am all too familiar with those dwarfy relatives! Fortunately, none of them are visiting me currently! With any luck, they'll stay away!!!

Found another website today:

http://www.eatright.org/Public/NutritionInformation/92.cfm

I'm going back to it to explore some more.

On an up note: today was a good day for exercise and calories. I walked about 3 miles and swam for 30 minutes (not really FAST or vigorous. I figure just paddling around continuously is good enough.). I also managed to keep the calorie count to 1500. Good day all-around for me!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Jo, thanks, I tried it again and got it. Don't know what I'm going to do about this computer. Keeps freezing up. Had it to the shop and they couldn't find the problem. My contract is up in Nov. Sure glad my husband had bought a 5 year contract!!!!

MinnMan

Rinkside
Food and labels

Ladskater, I hope that you never develop food allergies. I am allergic to Corn, Wheat, lettice, cabbage, onions, pepers, asprin,
beef, apples, grapes, bananas, spices and a few other things.
Form 95 to 98% of things in a grocery store I can not eat. For crabbs and many other things I could eat the meat, but not the breading on it. It helps me stay thin though.

MinnMan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi MinnMan,

YUCK!!!!!! All those food allergies will keep you thin, but I bet it is a real hassle planning meals. I'm thankful I don't have to cope with that problem. You definitely have my sympathy, even if you don't get much from others. I bet the line about keeping you thin has been said to you ad naseum.

In my continuing struggle, I want to thank Lee for that link to fitday. I signed up and have started using it for my food and exercise diary. I am also exploring the weight watchers web site. Since you can sign up for the web site without joing WW and paying fees, I joined and will see what they have to offer. They say they have recipes and forums etc. We'll see how useful it is. Here's the link if anyone else wants to check it out.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/index.aspx

I was having a good day for exercise, but staying on the diet plan is hard today. Oh well, if it was easy, nobody would need to lose weight!

Ladskater

Record Breaker
The whole aim of the Diabetic diet is to eat a balanced diet. When I was married my husband (who is a type 1 or juvenille diabetic) was told to cut down on fats and not to eat too much protein. It is not good for the kidneys.

Now it seems the emphasis is on carb counting. Still one needs to be balanced. I think part of my weight problem stems from eating too much carbs and not exercising enough. I do try to maintain a balanced diet. I don't believe in just eating one type of food.

I am going to cut down on eating bread, rice and potatoes and see how that goes.

Any kind of dieting is a pain!