GP Entries have been updated | Golden Skate

GP Entries have been updated

Kasey

Medalist
Thanks for the link...how strange, to see Yagudin listed as an "unseeded" entry! :(

dewet

Final Flight
How do you earn two events? I always thought you had to place in the top six at nationals to get them, so how did Amber Corwin, who placed eigth, get two? And why does Yebin Mok only get one, even though she placed sixth?:confused:

sk8guy2k2

On the Ice
Just a slight change now. I would much rather see Ye Bin than Amber. Maybe YeBin only wanted one event ...

mzheng

Record Breaker
I read in FSU a similar thread, one of poster said she withdraw due to injury.

Just hope no more injuries. Hate to see top skaters injured one after one when the season approach.

sk8guy2k2

On the Ice
Angela finished 11th in the SP at Nats and withdrew. I guess the USFSA didnt give her a spot because of her placement.

skatingfan5

On the Ice
Some Q's & A's re GP roster

Q: How do you get two (GP events)? A: You skate well enough the previous season (or in summer trial events) to be high enough in the ISU rankings and/or your federation's standings to get invited to GP events . There is no restriction on who can skate at two events -- but for singles, dance, only "seeded skaters" (top 6 finishers at previous Worlds) can get 3 assignments. For pairs, they can have 3 GP events even if they are not seeded skaters.

Q: Why wasn't Angela given the Skate America spot when Yebin withdrew from the event because of injury? A: As others have said, she didn't finish at Nationals because of her shoulder injury; similarly she hadn't competed internationally the previous season (going all the way back to 2002 Nationals, her last major event). Amber was the next ranking skater in the USFSA line-up, so she got the spot. Angela will be competing at Finlandia in early Oct. If she does well there and there is another U.S. withdrawal, she may yet get a GP assignment.

Q: Why aren't Hoffman & Elek competing in the GP? A: Because they are staying another year in the Junior GP circuit -- where they have a MUCH better chance to earn some $$$.

Q: Why does Yebin only have one event? A: She had two, but is out of Skate America because of an (unspecified) injury; hopefully she will be recovered in time to compete at NHK, the last event.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Skatingfan5,

Whew! Thank you for the word on Elek/Hoffmann. I was afraid of the (figure-skating) worst.

There are a lot of why's here. Maybe the skater wanted it his/her way. Look at Kwan, she wants no part of it.

I'm just so sore about the USFSA for leaving out Johnny. It was a questionable thing he did but not that bad.

Joe

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
Angela withdrew but still got one assignment, whereas Johnny withdrew and got the big BAGEL. Interesting...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I was so sorry to hear about Yebin's injury as she is one of my favorite skaters and her SP at Nationals was one of my favorite performances from this last year.

http://www.yebinmok.com
Yebin now has an official website. You can leave good wishes on the guestbook for her recovery. She also has posted 2 diary entries.

Both are interesting. In the first she discusses her reactions to the presentation given in Chicago to the skaters, and says that she was glad to hear it was not all about jumps.

The second entry is about her injury. Apparently after having problems since before Jr. Worlds, she went to a doctor and was diagnosed with a stress fracture in her back. She sounds very positive, but was told it will take 2 months to heal. (which sounds to me like perhaps she would be OK for NHK, at least!).

The surprise is that she is spending part of her recovery time skating school figures which she is finding interesting, but says she is not very good at them yet.

So for those who believe in the inherent goodness of figures, check out her edges from last year's nationals vs. this. However, it's not a good test as Yebin has some of the best edges in the US>

dpp

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Realtorgal,
As to Johnny vs. Angela. Angela turned out to have even more serious physical problems than was thought. Johnny did not.

But did Johnny get some overseas assignments in minor comp's, like Angela's to Finlandia, or did he really get nothing?

dpp

Smiley0884

Rinkside
Angela is a much more accomplished skater than Johnny, and at least she has medaled at U.S. nationals, GP events, and 4CC. Johnny went to liberty open last week to prove himself worthy of an assignment. He had a great skate, and I hope they give him one.

kzarah

Le Patineur et sa Petite Lulu
On the Ice
So, Sarah Hughs is not competing this season?
Daniel and Little Lulu