Bolero Jackets for the Men | Golden Skate

Bolero Jackets for the Men

S

SkateFan4Life

I've perused some of my old figure skating books and viewed some of my old vintage highlight films, and I again feel a sense of nostalgia at seeing all of the men - singles, pairs, and dance - wearing bolero jackets, white shirts, ties, and matching pants.

There was Dick Button, wearing a white bolero jacket and dark pants when he won his second Olympic gold medal in 1952.
And there was Hayes Jenkins winning Olympic gold in 1956, his younger brother David winning the gold in 1960, both attired in bolero jacket outfits. There's Bob Paul skating with Barbara Wagner, he wearing a nifty bolero pants outfit.

OK, perhaps on one level the men looked a little bit like waiters from a swank eating establishment, but I think they looked great.

One of the first men to break away from this tradition was John Misha Petkevich, who shocked the establishment by wearing a frilly blouse and a sort of jumpsuit in the late 1960s. His maverick attire was not appreciated by the judges, and he paid for his individualistic style, at least as far as the marks were concerned.

I remember how skaters like Scott Hamilton wore jumpsuits, a style that became the rage in the 1970s and 1980s.

I thought it was so refreshing when Kurt Browning took to the ice in 1993/1994 to skate his "Casablanca" long program dressed in a waiter's outfit - white bolero jacket, dark pants. Way to go!

Sigh :(

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Yes Kurt looked GREAT(hot too ;)) in his Casablanca costume

Scott looked like a Frog in his speedskater suits LOL

S

SkateFan4Life

LOL...I think Scott Hamilton wanted to get back to a simple skating outfit, sans the sequins and frilly material that some of the
men were wearing, so he chose the "speed skater suit" look.

I'm with Hamilton on this. Simple costumes for the males (and simple adornaments for the ladies) would suit me fine. I'm there to watch figure skating not Ziegfeldt Follies.

Joe

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I liked the Bolero jackets too. If the costume is too "over the top", it ruins the lines to me.

dizzydi

On the Ice
Costumes...............

Yes, I agree with those who think simplicity is the key to costuming. I prefer the more elegant to the frills, sequins, and dangling stuff. With such busy costumes, it really does take away from the performance. I sometimes wonder if this isn't done purposely.

The raving about Kwan's costumes the last couple of years has confused me. Although her skating, especially last season, was excellent, I didn't care for that braided stuff on her costume. It was just way too much. When you skate like Kwan, you just need a simple skating dress.

Personally, I think the ice dancers take the cake, so to speak. They are way over the top with some of the get-ups displayed.

I guess we have talked this costume issue into the ground here on the forum. If I were to give one word advice to costumers it would be "simplicity". Enough said.

Dizzy

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I could be way off here but I want a costume to look like a costume. A couple of spots in Stars on Ice last year, some of the skaters were wearing jeans and T shirts, looked more like practice time to me. Just my opinion.

Dee

jozmen01

Rinkside
A costume should enhance the skaters' performance and music, and not detract from it. Many of the "over the top" costumes from the ice dancers, et al (and there are too many to list), in my opioin, have taken away from the skaters' performance. But a practice outfit, such as jeans & tee-shirt, are just that: practice outfits! Leave it at home, I didn't pay good money to go to a performance and not have the skater in something decent, but simple.

heyang

Record Breaker
But, Dee, the men were wearing jeans and t-shirts because they were portraying cowboys. Besides, I'd rather see the Men in Jeans and t-shirts instead of costumes a la Urmanov. (wings for Swan Lake, neck ruff on another costume, and how the heck are a crown, cape and cane related to Phantom of the Opera!!)

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Actually, I used to really like what the men wore and the ladies as well.

Did you know Donald Jackson wore the first one-piece suit in competition in North America? that was in 1959.

Toller Cranston took it a step further with his "bare chested" look and avant-garde attire.

I think skaters look so much better in simple costumes. One focuses on the skater, not the costume.

don-pose.jpg

Don was the first skater in North America to use the newest "stretch" material from France in a one-piece suit, in competition

http://www.skatecanada.ca/english/about/fame/gui/dsp_sgl.cfm?startrow=8

http://www.skatecanada.ca/english/about/fame/gui/dsp_sgl.cfm?startrow=11

Toller Cranston

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I like the simplicity too. I think that's why I don't care of Irina's costumes most of the time. The last couple of years she's had those whispy things hanging off and I find that very distracting to watch. I liked Sasha's costume. It was simple, but had the flair of color in the bottom of the skirt.

S

SkateFan4Life

Nifty picture of Don Jackson! Thanks for sharing it with us, Ladskater! Don always looked neat and athletic when he skated.