Summer Musings - The Ladies | Golden Skate

Summer Musings - The Ladies

J

Joesitz

Summer Musings - The Ladies

I've changed the set-up from Questions to Musings. I think in mid July, we can change our minds before the first Nationals whenever and wherever they take place.

So just give a musing response to these questions and understand you can change your mind by the GP Finals (hopefully they will take place before 2004).

1. <strong>At her age, can Michelle repeat her last great skate at Nats?</strong>

2. <em><strong>Will Sasha's corrective problems be corrected in time for US Nats</strong></em>[/b]

3. <strong>Will Fumie bow to another Japanese Lady in the Japanese Nats?</strong>

4. <em><strong>Is Irina still capable of putting the Russian Girls in their place at the Russian Nats?</strong></em>

5. <strong>Will Ms Rochette overtake Ms Robertson at the Canadian Nats?</strong>

6. <strong><em>Who will fill the vacancy of Sarah at the US Nats (as podium place is now open): AP; Jen K; Angela; Bin Mok; NNN or Bebe?</em></strong>

7. <strong>No problem at the Italian Nats but will Carolina be a force at this year's Worlds?</strong>

8. <span style="text-decoration:underline">Any other musings I've left out?</span>

Joe

T

thvudragon

Re: Summer Musings - The Ladies

1. At her age, can Michelle repeat her last great skate at Nats?
Many people forget that Mary Butyrska won 1999 Worlds at age 26, with 7 triples, so don't count MK out.

2. Will Sasha's corrective problems be corrected in time for US Nats[/b]
I don't think so, alot of Sasha's problems, TT can't fix.

3. Will Fumie bow to another Japanese Lady in the Japanese Nats?
Technically, she already has, but in terms of presentation, she is the cream of the crop for Japanese ladies, none of them come close to her yet.

4. Is Irina still capable of putting the Russian Girls in their place at the Russian Nats?
Yes. Irina had a rough start to this season after being off the ice for a month with sickness, then she had that trouble with her mom. I hope she can rebound next season, she can do it.

5. Will Ms Rochette overtake Ms Robertson at the Canadian Nats?
If she gets consistancy, and fixes some of her spins, yes. Robinson = zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Rochette has it.

6. Who will fill the vacancy of Sarah at the US Nats (as podium place is now open): AP; Jen K; Angela; Bin Mok; NNN or Bebe?
I want it to be NNN or Mok, but I suspect it's AP.

7. No problem at the Italian Nats but will Carolina be a force at this year's Worlds?
Possibly, if she's consistant. I think it's very likely.

S

Smiley0884

Yes. I actually think her age is an asset.

2. Will Sasha's corrective problems be corrected in time for US Nats
I think she would have to do some serious work over the summer, but IMO it's possible.

I think it's very possible that Fumie could lose her title. However if she skates clean, she'll most likely win. But that's a big if. I think her biggest challenges will come from Ando, Ota, and Onda. Ando actually has pretty decent presentation, so if she skated clean, I would have her above Onda, and if she lands the quad she may be able to beat a 5 triple Fumie. Ota, IMO has the best presentation of all the japanese ladies, and has excellent spins and positions, her ina bauer is better than Sasha's. She could be a threat to Fumie if she lands all her triples, and AFAIK she has a 3/3. And I wouldn't count out Shizuka either, she's a bit unpredictable though.

4. Is Irina still capable of putting the Russian Girls in their place at the Russian Nats?
I don't think there is any ladies in Russia that could beat a clean Irina right now. I think she has a 1-2 mistake leighway, but if she makes more than that, she could be beat.

It's going to be close. I think Jen will take it one last time in 2004.

6. Who will fill the vacancy of Sarah at the US Nats (as podium place is now open): AP; Jen K; Angela; Bin Mok; NNN or Bebe?
Definetly AP, I would mind seeing Jenny or Angela up there though. I think Bebe could be a spoiler, but it's a bit too early to tell.

7. No problem at the Italian Nats but will Carolina be a force at this year's Worlds?
Well she was defeated by the japanese on the junior level, so I think she's had a bit of luck with the lack of depth in Italy. I think she'll probably have another top ten finish, I would give it another year before she breaks top 5.

L

Lucy25

1. You make it sound like Michelle is ancient! Good greif, she only turns 23 tomorrow! ;) Yes, at her very old age, she can still have the goods.

2. I think it is pretty hard to make corrections at Sasah's level (like fixing a flutz), but she is a hard worker, so we will see.

3. I think it is very possible Fumie could lose her title. She seems to suffer from nerves, and the Japanese jumping beans will be very hungry. However, Fumie is still miles ahead of all of them in presentation.

4. Irina will be the one to beat in Russia for a while. I think she will look much better this season if she doesn't get sick again. Although it seems she gets some sort of illness each year!

5. ?

6. A.P. all the way. the USFSA really likes her.

7. ?

E

Excidra2001

<strong>I never thought Michelle could skate a better LP then at 01 worlds but she proved me wrong last season and I was :eek: of her programs. She can still do it.</strong>

<strong>I like Sasha but I think she will have consistency problems through out her career. She's been on the scene for about 3 years now and she still hasn't put together two back to back clean programs</strong>

<strong>Fumie is heads and shoulders above her Japanese counter-parts when it comes to presention but she is a little behind in technical. If she puts clean programs at natonial there is no doubt in my mind that she will win the title.</strong>

<strong>She is the best female skater Russia has ever produced and she will go down as that when she retires. Like Kwan she still has IT and will have it as long as she continues with skating. Technically the top senior ladies in Russia are close to Irina but overall Irina is ahead because of her great technique and her presention.</strong>

<strong>Bring on Rochette. She is our best hope for a ladies medal at the world championships in a few years. </strong>

<strong>Bin Mok...You'll see at nationals.</strong>

<strong>Nope. She will probably hit the top ten or top 7 but I don't see her medaling with Slutskaya/Cohen/Kwan/Fumie/Sokolova ready to compete at next year's world championships.I don't even think she'll medal at next year's European championships.</strong>

D

DORISPULASKI

<strong>I didn't think she could do it last year! When you think that
the medallists at worlds were all in their 20's I have great hopes both for Michelle and all the other adult ladies!</strong>

<strong>I think she will have better physical conditioning than this year. That should somewhat improve her flutz (I hope).
But I don't think that the crazy landings can be fixed that
fast. And the loss of focus doing easy stuff? I don't know how to fix that stuff, but hope that age will do it!!! I'd like to see 2 great Sasha programs back to back</strong>.

<strong>Out on a limb? Yes. Fumie is a 5 triple skater. There are just too many really good young tigresses for her to win again at Nats. But no way will she finish off the podium.</strong>
<strong>Yes, but she has to be healthy, and her mom has to be healthy.</strong>

<strong>Don't know-I hope so.</strong>

<strong>I'd like it to be Yebin or Angela, but suspect it will be AP.</strong>

<strong>Tell you after the GP events. She has to get the stamina to do a full sr. LP, like any competitor coming up from Juniors.
Specially with points given for stunts after the 2 minutes mark</strong>.

8. Any other musings I've left out?

<strong>Who will be the 6 ladies in the GP final?????</strong>

J

Joesitz

Great musings so far but no real predictions which is proper. This was basically a Nats musings. We can do a GP musing later once we know who is skating.

Remember Posters - This thread is about what a contender needs to win - not that she will win (or lose).

Joe

G

Glacierskater

I don't feel qualified to answer all of these, but I will put in my two cents where I feel that I can make a bit of a contribution:
Mind you, they are just opinions:

1. MK: Can she do it? Oh yes. Her experience is most definitely to her advantage...as is her grace, style, poise, and class. She brings so much more to the ice than just skating, and she is the complete skating package.

2. Sasha: I am so hoping that she can improve her challenging areas. I love to watch her skate. And, I feel that she is in a good position to be on top, if she can get focused, watch the boastful comments, and just skate. She is a very determined young lady, and I feel that she has much to offer this sport. I love to watch her.

3. Fumie: I don't know. I don't really follow her too much...just gave myself a homework assignment to follow up and do some research on her career.

4. Irina: I have seen her twice in the last 3 months in Champions on Ice. She skated slower than I would have imagined, and she looked like she had taken some time off from the the ice. However, I think that she will stay ahead of her game, and if she gets back into shape, she will remain a force to be reckoned with.

5. Canadian ladies: I sense another homework assignment for myself.

6. I think that Ann Patrice is setting herself up nicely to become the next great American ladies single skater. And I just have to say that I love the costumes, love the fact that mom does them, and I love the sparklies. AP's skating is very enjoyable to me.

7. Italians: I don't think that we will see any threat from them at Worlds...at least where the single ladies are concerned.

E

eltamina

Carolina Kostner: I think she will have huge improvement. BTW, wasn't she placed ahead of Sasha Cohen in the short program (just the short program) at worlds?

She can do footwork all on one foot, and complete 3z/3t in the sp, and her basic skating skills is very good. I think at worlds 03, her basic skating skills (edges, speed, and flow) is approaching MK, and Fumie level, definitely better than Cohen.

D

dewet

Michelle can do it, and she's not that old.

I don't think she'll work on the problems, but I do think she can do it if she tried.

No, she has the presentation, and the other skaters are just jumping. And the judges don't just let anyone beat a two-time world bronze medalist.

She is still the best in Russia, and I don't think thats going to change.

6. Who will fill the vacancy of Sarah at the US Nats (as podium place is now open): AP; Jen K; Angela; Bin Mok; NNN or Bebe? Defenitely AP, though I would like to see Mok up there.

No, she needs to gain consistantcy, but otherwise she's very good.

L

ladybug

1. If Michelle gets the right music, she can surpass last year.

2. I think Sasha will fix some of her problems but not all.

3. Fumie has her work cut out for her. The up and comers already have the tech. and I think their presentation will improve this year.

4. Irina is a certain "Yes". No one in Russia can even come close to having the whole package.

5. Jennifer Robinson will win at least one more National title.

6. I think AP will fill Sarah's gab however, I really like Mok also and would like to see her win a medal.

7. I don't see what most of you see in Carolina's skating. I know she has the jumps but her presentation doesn't impress me. I think she still has a way to go before breaking into the top 5.

T

Tony Wheeler

My Answers

--Absolutely, her age keeps coming up each year but that's not stopping her from delivering at Nationals.

--I doubt it. I think her camp focuses more on her ability to stretch than to correct the flaws she might have. If they worked on it, though, she could easily improve quickly.

--I don't think so. I think Onda and Arakawa will have to fight, though, with Ota, Nakano, and Ando to name a few, right behind.

--Yes

5. Will Ms Rochette overtake Ms Robinson at the Canadian Nats?

--YES! I hope so. Joannie is a much better skate overall and with the summer to work on her Lutz/overall consistency, I do see her winning next year.

--Hopefully Angela, but probably Ann-Patrice.

--That will depend on how she does during the season. She seems like she can't put three solid programs together (At Euros it was the bad SP, Junior Worlds the bad LP, Senior Worlds bad QR and LP). In any event, I do think she will be good enough to reach the top 10 again-- farther than that, I don't know.

mzheng

Record Breaker

-- Yes. 23 is not that an old age. In general asia and jewish woman usually mature late and once they matured their body type rarely changed that is it is easier for them to keep triples. All she needed is the right music and choreograph to keep her inspired and interested.

-- Yes or No. She'll have more strenghth to hold on edges so that not falling that often. She weren't correct her flutz. I see her continue improving her edges though and gain mental toughness as her compete more and more. Last year she use Morosova as choreographer don't know who she is going to use this year, she still need to prove herself can skated to diff choreographer's program. I hope she a podium finishing at worlds with MK and IS there.

-- Yes. Did Arakawa won Japanese Nats a few years back? I do see Arakawa win again, she has the basic (good edges and flow) and jumps. Her presentation skill is not that far away from Fumie. Onda need to prove her basics her stroking is still junish, and she should develop her own style please do not try to potraited ballelena. The other young Janpanese lady could chanlenge the podium is that girl won Junior Worlds, sorry forget the name.

-- Yes. As long as she is health. I doubt that Elena will repeat her 2003 season. She was injured and lost 3/3 she dosn't have good basics and presentation to back her up. Vika is an unknown her consistant is a problem.

-- Don't know.

-- At this point I see AP. But in 2006 I see Bebe, if only she dose not triple jump into injury.

-- Not yet. She needs to learn how to sustain herself in LP first. She is a good SP skater since she has consistant 3/3 (that is to assume the puberty monster dose not get her in next year) and the SP is only 2.5 min. To skate a clean LP with 6 or 7 triples she has a lot to work on. Did she faulted on LP both at J World and S Worlds at 2003 season? Btw, is it so difficult with one foot FW? I saw another lady, out of 6th finish, did FW on one foot too.