Article: Charlene Wong | Golden Skate

Article: Charlene Wong

Geesesk8

On the Ice
"...As a coach, you have to be pretty clear on why you're coaching and what you're doing," she adds. "If you don't design your coaching exclusively by how many champions you coach, then you're open for something maybe even better than you would have thought if you kind of clung onto a skater you brought up through the ranks. Sometimes things don't work out. People change."

Good article from IceNetwork, 1/31/08:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080131&content_id=43284&vkey=ice_news

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
thanks so much for posting!! I remeber Charlene from a few years ago...I used to see her at the rink and at some competitions. She is a great person and she always looked like she was truly enjoying coaching. She coaches Kloe Bautista, who placed 4th in the novice pairs event...I think that she is a really great coach and a fun person!!:rock::rock:

daisies

Rinkside
Thanks for posting that article. It is wonderful. I am an adult skater who competed as a kid, and Charlene is my current coach. She is totally focused on me and my goals when she is giving me a lesson, and she knows me well enough as a person to get the best out of me. I'm so happy for her and her success!

champs

Final Flight
Thank you Geesesk8 for the link. Ever since I watched last year's US Jr. Nationals and some off-competition videos of Nagasu and her coach Wong, I had always wanted to know about Ms. Wong, but I had found only a few sites on the internet that talked about her career -- that she competed at Calgary Olympics placing 13th or 14th (I forgot the exact placement) and that she particiated in a pro competition sometime before SLC Olympics. This article unveils much more details of her career and her philosophy than I have already known, I really enjoyed reading it!

sk8m8

Final Flight
I love Charlene

One of my favorite programs of the "skatefest era" was Ms. Wong's Clair de lune. Her expressive artistry was lovely and it was truely the best interpretation of this classic that I can ever recall.

It is odd to me today to think of the many skater such as Todd Eldridge and Charlene Wong who would have been great "COP" skaters. Lovely edging, great spins, extension, and expression.

KeineZeite

Rinkside
Ms. Wonderful!

but I had found only a few sites on the internet that talked about her career -- that she competed at Calgary Olympics placing 13th or 14th (I forgot the exact placement)

Hi, her result in 1988 Olympics - 13th, according to her biography.

I am also quite impressed with her philosophy and work ethics.
Her studets are so lucky and happy to have lessons from such a charming person.

I guess Mirai Nagasu can become a US Champ as Ms. Wong is able to lead her to a right direction. I mean, Ms. Wong has contributed a lot to a victory of 14 year-old girl.

Geesesk8, thanks for posting this article.