Having the time to prepare for a competition | Golden Skate

Having the time to prepare for a competition

Spirit

On the Ice
I have a spare moment, so I'll ask something that I've wondered about for a while.

After the Olympics, some of the better skaters said they didn't want to participate in Worlds because they "wouldn't have the time for to prepare for the event" (I'm paraphrasing). I use this as an example, but I think skaters have said similar things at other times, not just after the Olympics.

I've always wondered: What preparation would they need? If a skater has the choreography memorized beyond doubt and is free of injury, what preparation is there other than boarding a plane and getting used to a new time zone?

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
I can't speak for skaters, but here's a possibility. I race triathlons. For me, it takes a lot to get mentally ready for a race. My body can be there, but I have to be in the right frame of mind. It's one thing for me to go out for a weekend swim, bike, or run, but completely different to put that all together with the adrenaline of a race situation. I have to be mentally ready so that I can focus 100% on the race and be able to push myself to do the best that I am able. That has a tendency to hurt, and I'm not mentally able to be okay with that at any given time.

I would imagine it's the same for skaters. If Worlds is a month after the Olys, they have to remove themselves from the hubbub of the Oly experience, re-focus, and mentally get in the right place for the next competition. It sounds easier than it is - for me, anyway.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My brother is an organist and plays for a couple of Sunday services. He practices almost every evening and twice as long on Saturday. He says that this is a must -- even though he has been playing the organ for over 25 years. I tell you this because I think the skaters have to practice every single day and more when competitions are at stake.

Dee

NanSinger2

On the Ice
I've often wondered this too. It seems like they should be in prime condition, but the explaination offered here makes sense.

berthes ghost

Final Flight
IMHO, "wouldn't have the time for to prepare for the event" is just code for "I'd rather spend my time riding around in parades, getting my picture taken, and appearing on Letterman than going to the rink and practicing my skating".

On a similar note, I was rewatching 98 worlds the other day when I almost fell out of my chair because Bret Musburger said "....the absence of Tara Lipinski, who CLAIMS to be ill...". In retrospect, I guess he knew more than we did at the time. :lol

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Not having time to prepare for an event may indeed be code for "I don't want to go" sometimes, but I think there is a reality there, too. In addition to the mental preparation, which is a prime factor, I think that a major event, like the Olympics, takes a real physical toll on a skater's body. I think it could be compared to going through major surgery or having a serious illness. The body needs recovery time. All the travel, interviews, stress, intense practice takes a physical as well as mental toll, and there is only so much there before the reserve is gone. It takes a while to build that back up.

I remember an interview at the 2002 Worlds between Alexei Yagudin and Debbi Wilkes where they talk about this very thing. She mentions that he is the only Olympic Gold Medallist to be there and asks if it was hard to prepare. In his answer, Alexei says something to the effect that his body told him that, "no, it was enough, we had done the most," but he decided to push through it anyway. I remember thinking that he looked a little pale and thin at that competition.

Just a thought.

Nan

tdnuva

On the Ice
I could only agree that preparing is tough if a skater has a health problem of any kind. Of course a skater should care about his health and not overdo certain things (A. Yagudin perhaps should have taken a rest, too).

In all other cases my opinion is that the physical stress is or should be not that huge that it wouldn't be possible. Compare it to pro skaters who do many more routines in one show and that every night - in addition to the rehearsals they have, too. If - on the other hand - one might say that e.g. in single skating the quads are not within the pro scene and that it wouldn't be possible to do such routines each night, this is just another argument for me to say - a movement you can't repeat at least once a day doesn't sound healthy to me. Another thing would be marathon or similar things, but this is another physical process (endurance) than a skating free program.

Btw - ever heard talking about skaters who were/are able to do their program two times in a row in practice? I think that should be possible to do and a thing skaters should try to achieve, it lifts the pressure for that one time you ought to do it, and it helps you build up a good condition. (read that e.g. from Scott Hamilton - who learned to do that in his career in times when he struggled to get fit for his next worlds - and Torvill & Dean. they all used it, too, to make an impression to their competitors.)

Concerning getting the mind ready, can it be that four weeks are not enough??? If this is the explanation it really sounds for me that the skater sees not much worth in going to that competition (e.g. worlds after olympics) and the planning beforehand was already that way....

Of course that's my opinion and that's all...... :D

Last edited:

tharrtell

TriGirl Rinkside
On the Ice
Personally, 4 weeks is about the minimum. I know people that can race weekly, but not me. In April/May of this year, I did two races 4 weeks apart and it was a close call. In retrospect, I'm not sure it was long enough because race #2 was in poor weather conditions. I had an extremely difficult time maintaining focus and a positive attitude. In fact, I spent most of the bike wondering why I was doing what I was doing. Had I not put my heart into a difficult race 4 weeks earlier, I am quite sure my attitude would have been different. I cannot express how convinced I am that sports have a HUGE mental component. Having your head in the right place at the right time can allow a person to perform at a completely different level.

Panther2000

On the Ice
berthes ghost said:
IMHO, "wouldn't have the time for to prepare for the event" is just code for "I'd rather spend my time riding around in parades, getting my picture taken, and appearing on Letterman than going to the rink and practicing my skating".
:lol

Iam sorry to say but, I have to agree with you on that one. Just Like Alexei stated at worlds in 2002. He couldn't understand some of the skaters & why they did not want to come. Including if someone is TRULY injured. But, not to show up because they want to cash in ( which is their right) but, in my book. That is CHEAP.

Alexei thought, he is my Fav Male Skater. He gained major points with me for going to worlds. As Did Michelle, Irina, Timmy. They skated just as much as anyone. But Still showed up. & Alexei was injured at the time. Not as bad as latter on. But, His injury started in December of 2001 way before the olympics. Not saying if you are injured you should skate. But, if he could show up. Then I can be bothered really with others who decided that if may have been beneath them.

That is how I feel about it. & Michelle showing up after all what happend to her at the olympic. I showed her TRUE Soul.

L

ladybugii

Endorsements --- who had more commitments than Michelle.

Olympic stress and hype --- who had more than Michelle.

Olympic disappointment --- who had more than Michelle.

Yet Michelle was still able to compete at World's and had a very nice skate. Actually, better than the Olympics. Same goes for Irena. I think Joe is right, Drive and Desire is what these skaters had and continue to have.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Another thought ...

May be afraid to lose imediately after a big win? I'm afraid this is the real reason behind the mental or mind set?

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
Hmm...

Hmm....I have no idea! But maybe some skaters don't do certain competitons (ISU Grand Prix?) because they want to prepare for Nationals/Worlds? Just an idea...

Antilles

Medalist
I constantly hear how long the skating season is, but most skaters do what, nine or ten competitions in a year? Look at tennis players, who compete all year round. They're matches can last hours, and they'll play multiple times in week. The same goes for sports like hockey, baseball etc. I know skating is different, but how can it be that much more difficult? At least skaters get to practice the exact routine they will do at competition. In these other sports, how you play depends entirely on what your opponents do. I think this could be more stressful.

Sprit - I think after the Olys - win or lose - there is a lack of energy to go on to the next Worlds. That first of four Worlds is really a very anticlimatic competition. Even, for me, I take less interest in it than I do with the following three.

But keeping the practice going does take motivation and drive but one has to rest sometimes. A week or two in Maui would be ideal - no skating; lots of sunbathing; a bit of flirting; disco dancing - you get the picture.

Joe

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Spirit

There is so much preparation for the Olympics and focus on it beforehand, I think some skaters are just "burnt out" after it is all over and may be using this as a way of getting some time off. While some, just carry on the "wave" if they performed well at the Olympics and go on to the Worlds. Take Elizabeth Manley for instance, no one expected her to do so well in the Olympics and she "skated" off with the Silver! She did not want people to think it was just a "fluke" so had another great skate a the Worlds and captured the silver once again.

Skaters who have already placed in the top three at the Worlds might have the tendency to skip it. It depends if they want to defend their title or not.

I think we see more of that now than we did in previous years because skaters now participate in so many events. At one time there was only Nationals, North American and World championships - plus the Olympics. Skaters did not have to travel as much as they do now (unless they were in a show of course!).

Also many skaters are anxious to start earning some money after the Olympics. Figure skating is an expensive sport.

I think skaters have a lot more "leeway" than they did before and just because they don't participate in the Worlds after the Olympics, does not mean we have seen the last of them!

Give them a break! They've earned it.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Panther2000 said:
Just Like Alexei stated at worlds in 2002. He couldn't understand some of the skaters & why they did not want to come. Including if someone is TRULY injured. But, not to show up because they want to cash in ( which is their right) but, in my book. That is CHEAP.

Plushenko was injured, so I can understand that he did not participate in Worlds after the SLC Olympics. On the other hand, I seem to remember that didn´t Yagudin only confirm his participation after it was known that Plushenko will not be competing there (Plushenko was injured during the whole season)? My guess is that the Russian Federation very much needed one strong Russian male skater to compete in 2002 Worlds to ensure three places for next Worlds.

Marjaana

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
I think that Irina and Michelle both had something to prove to themselves and to the world after the Olympics, so it's obvious to me why they would want to participate in that Words. Sarah, on the other hand, probably did not step on the ice at all between the Olympics and Worlds due to all the commitments she had. She would probably have looked quite rusty out there! Mentally, she probably was still on that Olympic victory high.

Who could blame an Olympic champion for not wanting to compete in the Worlds right after the Olympics? Why risk all the endorsement deals that were probably recently garnered?