Who Were You Most Disappointed to See Retire? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Were You Most Disappointed to See Retire?

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bourne & Kraatz

Drobiasko and Vanagas

Two very exciting dance teams.

Dee

L

ladybugii

K/O in dance
B/S in pairs
Brian Boitano in mens
Kristi in Ladies

wasn't so bad when we could watch the pros on television but now, that is about over. Most of the specials are the skaters from SOI. I would love to see some of the other pro skaters.

Paul Wylie leaving skating all together sure left a big hole in my heart. Also Rudy G. if he is unable to return to the rink. :cry:

lil_icesk8er915

On the Ice
NanSinger2-I agree with you on that! I think it would've been great to see more of Tara! ( P.S. That's cool we both like those skater's costumes!:) )

I don't know the whole thing with Ina and Zimmerman, but I'll be sad if they retire! I was also sad to see Sale and Pelletier (sp?) retire.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Paul Wiley
Kurt Browning
Ilia Kulik
T&D
Dimetriev & partners
Jill Trenary
I know there are others, just have a blocked brain right now.
As usual.:laugh:

S

SkateFan4Life

I was more shocked than disappointed when Tara Lipinski retired
from the eligible scene at the age of 15, right after winning the gold medal in Nagano. I thought, "Geez, this kid is just beginning her career, and she could win several more World titles and maybe defend her gold medal in 2002. I was looking forward to a great Lipinski/Kwan rivalry, too.

On the other hand, it's certainly for the best (for Tara) that she did retire, considering the serious injuries she's had. There's simply no way she could have continued at that level, with the triple loop/triple loop and the other triples, with her hip injuries.
Had she continued as an eligible skater, she might have quickly faded from the scene, with poor competitive performances.

Antilles

Medalist
Anissina and Peizerat. They're my all time favourite dancers. I don't think we'll see much of their pro career since they're focusing on Europe.

D&V, I wish they'd come back. L&T T&D and K&P too.
K&O-it was actually a bad back injury that took her out. They may have made Olympics 2002 more exciting.

I&Z-they were just reaching their potential

It is sad that Paul Wylie doesn't skate anymore.

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to bring back real pro competitions.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Who Were You Most Dissapointed to See Retire?

Recently:

Bourne & Kraatz
Sale & Pelletier

Past:

Karen Magnussen
Toller Cranston
Kurt Browning
Torvill & Dean
Brian Orser
Martini and Underhill

:cry:

Last edited:

Sweetie

Rinkside
As much as many people will say that they stayed past their welsome date, I'm still sorry to see Bourne & Kraatz out of the amateur world and into the dismal world of professional ice dancing.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Lavender........I'm guessing that at the ripe old age of 30ish, he had accomplished as a pro all that he didn't accomplish as an eligible skater..........well, we still have his performances on tape to enjoy over and over and over............42

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Antilles said:
It is sad that Paul Wylie doesn't skate anymore.

I don´t know more about this, but here Wylie is mentioned among the other skaters:

http://www.sovereignbankarena.com/press/icedreams03.html

An exerpt:

>Professional ice skaters performing in the nationally televised event include: 1994 Olympic Gold Medallist Oksana Baiul; two-time Olympic Gold Medallist Ekaterina Gordeeva; two-time Olympic Medallist Canadian pair Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler; 1992 Olympic Silver Medallist and World Professional Champion Paul Wylie; and 1998 Olympic Gold Medallist Ilia Kulik.>

Marjaana

ladybug

On the Ice
Ladskater, I must agree with you on Underhill and Martini. They skated with such great passion. It was hard not to think of them as a couple both on and off the ice.

April

Rinkside
Anyone who won gold and turned pro the next day is always missed? Tara (and Sarah) had/have their personal reasons, so that's life.

Germanice

On the Ice
They could've give(n) so much more to the sport! :(

- Ilia Kulik (waaay too early!)

- Oksana Baiul
... such a shame, she was one of the greatest, most charismatic, natural-gifted female skaters of all times! When it comes to real fire, temper, expression and versality noone can ever touch her. She's got it all! I still miss her! :cry:

- The Duchesnayes

Anke

Last edited:

ballerinagrl

Rinkside
I have been hugely disppointed when people have turned pro, but I read their reasons in the skating press, and I respect them. The problem is, if you live in Europe, the only skating you see are the European and World championships. Thus when a skater turns pro you completely lose them (other than reports in magazines), and I guess it is the lack of pro skating accessible to Europeans through the various TV channels that disappoints me rather than the skater's decisions.

To name but a few I miss Oksana, Tara, Ilia, B&S, Katia G ...

I also fear I am soon to miss Alexei ...

Best, Lilia

Germanice

On the Ice
ballerinagrl said:
I have been hugely disppointed when people have turned pro, but I read their reasons in the skating press, and I respect them. The problem is, if you live in Europe, the only skating you see are the European and World championships. Thus when a skater turns pro you completely lose them (other than reports in magazines), and I guess it is the lack of pro skating accessible to Europeans through the various TV channels that disappoints me rather than the skater's decisions.

To name but a few I miss Oksana, Tara, Ilia, B&S, Katia G ...

I also fear I am soon to miss Alexei ...

Best, Lilia

This is oh-so-true! Retirements of skaters from eligible skating are way harder to bear for fans in Europe, because they're no pro shows in front of our door, no TV coverages of shows etc. Here it means nothing else but to "lose" that certain skater forever ... :( :cry:

Anke

"TURNING PRO' This phrase, imo, is saying 'going out to pasteur', I am happy to note that posters are realizing that turning pro, for most skaters, means bye bye.

Joe

Skating is fun

Rinkside
lavender said:
Paul's showing in the pro world made me forget all about the eligible world for him but I was totally sad when he gave it all up so early. I still don't understand why.

Except for the silver medal at the Olympics Paul never really had any success in the eligible ranks. I think it was a smart move to turn pro, because he probably knew it was his only shot at a medal. He was not that young either and I guess the money he earned was also needed to finance his studies. In the early nineties there was not much money to earn for amateurs and only the higher ranked pros got lots of it. And with this more than unexpected medal, he finally was in that postion. Another thing is that he, just like i.e. Yuka Sato and Bechke & Petrov became so much better as a pro, because he finally could show more of his artistic side.