Who Were You Most Disappointed to See Retire? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Who Were You Most Disappointed to See Retire?

astimegoesby

On the Ice
IMO, there's a huge difference between "retiring" as in "turning pro" and "retiring" as in "leaving skating behind forever." Although that difference appears to be growing smaller and smaller since pro competition has basically ceased to exist. :cry:

That being said...

The skaters who I was most disappointed to see move on to the pro world are Jamie and David. Although they've probably had the most promising pro debut I've seen in years and I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll come up with next, I still would have liked to see them win another world title or two before moving on...although I completely understand why the two of them would have felt differently! :laugh:

The skaters I was most disappointed to see leave the sport altogether were Christine Hough and Doug Ladret. They were one of the most underrated and versatile pairs team I've ever seen and they were just starting to reach their peak as pro skaters when they retired back in 1996. :cry:

berthes ghost

Final Flight
"
Originally posted by lavender
Paul's showing in the pro world made me forget all about the eligible world for him but I was totally sad when he gave it all up so early. I still don't understand why."

Huh?

In addition to what SkatingIsFun said, I'd like to add that perhaps Todd and MK have spoiled us.

Paul skated at the senior level for almost a decade. Back in the day, 2 trips to the Olympics, 4 nats medals with 4 qualifying trips to worlds, and a career crowning Oly medal at 27 was a full career to be envied.

Sure, today we have 30 year olds giving it one last try, but Paul was no 15 year old with nary a visit to worlds.