Driving? 10 Most Dangerous Foods to Eat | Golden Skate

Driving? 10 Most Dangerous Foods to Eat

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I don't usually eat while I drive. I do drink water though. Here are some interesting facts:

Look out for that....CHOCOLATE!

Hagerty Classic Insurance of Traverse City, Mich., has issued a list of the top 10 most dangerous foods we can eat while driving. When we pay more attention to our food than the road, we're setting ourselves up for a potential car crash. In a recent analysis of 32,303 drivers nationwide, the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration determined that eating is a greater distraction than using a hand-held cell phone.

So from bad to worst, here are the top 10 most dangerous foods to eat while driving:

10. Chocolate
It gets all over your fingers! Then you touch something--the steering wheel, stick shift, your hair--and you leave a chocolate smudge. Your instinct is to look down and wipe it off. Excuse me, did you see that red light you just ran?

9. Soft Drinks
Slam on the brake and whammy! You spilled your drink all over your shirt. When this happens, are you concentrating more on your driving or your wet clothing? We thought so.

8. Jelly and Cream-Filled Donuts
Oh yummy! They just ooze jelly and custard, and now look! It's all over your lap. You shouldn't have looked...you just ran a stop sign.

7. Fried Chicken
If it's finger-lickin' good, then it's also greasy. So is the steering wheel. And that stuff is hard to get off--especially while you're driving. Oops. Almost didn't make that turn, did you?

6. Any Barbecued Food
Save the barbecue sauce for your next picnic in the park. Here's something to remember: "If it can drip, don't eat it while you drive."

5. Juicy Hamburgers
These can be drippy AND greasy. Consider that a $5 hamburger deluxe could turn into $500 worth of repairs if dripping condiments, special sauces, or greasy meat juices distract you while you're driving.

4. Chili
And we don't mean just a bowl of chili. We mean anything containing chili--a chili dog, sloppy Joes, or a Coney dog. Steering chili-covered foods to your mouth while steering a car around a corner requires more dexterity than we humans possess.

3. Tacos
It's hard enough to eat a taco at a table. One good bump in the road and that taco is scattered across the backseat. And what did you just do? Turned around to look at it!

2. Hot Soups
Eating hot soup while trying to manipulate a gearshift is not sensible. Haggerty calls it the equivalent of a circus juggling act--a sure recipe for disaster.

And the WORST food you can consume while driving is...
1. Coffee
It's hot. It spills. It makes a mess--and burns!--when it spills.:sheesh:

windspirit

On the Ice
I only drink water, if anything at all, while driving. And even then I prefer to stop somewhere to do that. You know, relax a little, etc. And I really don't remember eating anything, ever, while driving. I don't get this instant gratification thing, it's as if people couldn't wait to do anything anymore, they have to do it NOW.

Btw, chocolate is nothing. Just think about people who smoke and drive. My father used to do that (when he still smoked), and I remember one time when a spark from his cigarette fell down on the seat between his legs. That was a nice driving moment. :rolleye: Not long ago similar thing happened to a friend of mine (who can't deny herself a smoke while driving); a stray spark from her cigarette fell on the transmission box and I had to put it out with my bare hand (she rushed to do it, but I told her to watch the road) and it burned my hand. That scared her for a short period of time, but unfortunately didn't teach her anything. Some time later she called me from her cell phone, and after a minute or two she started swearing, because she run the red light. I thought she called to tell me about it after she did it. Wrong. She run the red light because she was talking on the phone with me. Agrrr. :eek:

I don't really have patience or understanding for people who do things like that. I've had a driving license for quite some time and never had an accident, but I've been hit twice by careless drivers.

And don't even start me on drunk drivers... Several days ago I heard on the news how some teenager hit a police car at 90 m/h... The female police officer was in a coma, brain-dead. He's all right. His friends were saying that drunk driving was "so out of character for him". Yeah, right. A few days later I heard on the radio he had a juvenile record that some judge decided to seal or trash (if it's possible?) on the condition he'd go into treatment.